Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Match Ammo for Shadow 2 - factory and / or yours

lfine

125gr RN Blue Bullet

3.7gr Titegroup

1.110” OAL

CCI primer

It is dirty but goes bang and hits what I aim at.  

On 7/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, wtturn said:

BBI 125gr

3.9gr Sport Pistol

1.120 OAL

@wtturn

Is the Sport Pistol pretty clean?  What about smoke?  I still have 16+ pounds of Titegroup, but it is some filthy stuff and may try a different powder in the future.  Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/5/2018 at 6:33 AM, zen_grasshopper said:

125gr RN Blue Bullet

3.7gr Titegroup

1.110” OAL

CCI primer

@wtturn

Is the Sport Pistol pretty clean?  What about smoke?  I still have 16+ pounds of Titegroup, but it is some filthy stuff and may try a different powder in the future.  Thanks.

Sport Pistol is very very clean.  After a match it barely has any residue around the muzzle and I just need to do a quick whipe down. I switched to it from N320 and it feels just as good and is as clean or cleaner than it. 

It is a great powder for 9mm through the shadow 2.  3.7 gr makes 130 power factor with 124 Acme's for me.

125gr RN Blue Bullet
3.7gr Titegroup
1.110” OAL
CCI primer

[mention=51619]wtturn[/mention]

Yes, it's noticably less smoky than TG.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Shot around 400 rounds of 150g Syntech at Area 5 this past weekend. Had no issues. But, I did notice scuffs in the coating near the base of the shoulder where the bullets met the rifling. 

1 hour ago, Sliv2 said:

Shot around 400 rounds of 150g Syntech at Area 5 this past weekend. Had no issues. But, I did notice scuffs in the coating near the base of the shoulder where the bullets met the rifling. 

What powerfactor did it test at?

I heard the 40 Cal Major comes out at 190.  Not confirmed but it has me wondering about it. 

12 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

Sport Pistol is very very clean.  After a match it barely has any residue around the muzzle and I just need to do a quick whipe down. I switched to it from N320 and it feels just as good and is as clean or cleaner than it. 

It is a great powder for 9mm through the shadow 2.  3.7 gr makes 130 power factor with 124 Acme's for me.

2 hours ago, wtturn said:

Yes, it's noticably less smoky than TG.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.  Said the heck with it and ordered 32 pounds of Sport Pistol for the future.  

1 minute ago, zen_grasshopper said:

Thanks for the responses.  Said the heck with it and ordered 32 pounds of Sport Pistol for the future.  

Wow you went all in.  Good luck with it, it is a great powder and I've really liked the switch.

It is becoming harder to find at some shops I use so I think it is catching on.

14 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

What powerfactor did it test at?

I heard the 40 Cal Major comes out at 190.  Not confirmed but it has me wondering about it. 

135.1, according to Practiscore

I'm loading acme 147 f/p 1.130 oal with 3.3 s/p very clean with good accuracy thur a shadow 2. Started playing with the acme 124 r/n and found that the .357 dia bullets is giving better Es and sd numbers with some improvement in accuracy. Trying to decide if I want to stick with the 147gr or go with the 124gr. I like the recoil of the 147 but I also like the faster cycle time of the 124. I guess I'll just keep playing with both till I figure it out lol. I been shooting 2-3 plate matches a month for the last four or five months and my shooting just keeps evolving for the better. I'm really enjoying the competitiveness of the matches.

19 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

My regular load is Eggleston .357 124gr and 3.6gr of Sport Pistol

PD 124 JHPs are more accurate, but not enough difference to shoot them in bulk

Wdfwguy is 3.6 burn clean? I've been shooting 3.8-4.0 gr range and those loads are doing well just been thinking of trying 3.6 to see how accurate they would be ,3.8 makes min. Power factor in my gun but I just like to play. Lol

7 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

Wdfwguy is 3.6 burn clean? I've been shooting 3.8-4.0 gr range and those loads are doing well just been thinking of trying 3.6 to see how accurate they would be ,3.8 makes min. Power factor in my gun but I just like to play. Lol

It's 95% of what I load right now.  It's clean and accurate and makes ~128pf in my Shadow.

On August 12, 2018 at 10:08 PM, wdfwguy said:

It's 95% of what I load right now.  It's clean and accurate and makes ~128pf in my Shadow.

I loaded a 100 at 3.6 grs 1.11 oal and they shot nice a little less pop then my 3.8 gr load that I been shooting. Did not crono the 3.6 gr load yet but did shoot some at 12 yards on paper and the frist four or five was about a inch,when I saw how tight they was grouping I loosend up and the group opened up lol but they was showing some good accuracy. Thanks

125gr RN Blue Bullet
3.7gr Titegroup
1.110” OAL
CCI primer

[mention=51619]wtturn[/mention]

Titegroup is filthy because you're not loading enough gunpowder into the shell for it to build up enough pressure to expand the case to the barrel and create a pressure seal. If you load a little more powder it will become a much cleaner shooting powder. Usually with my loads 125gr Blue Bullets, around 3.9gr TG it seals up and shoots pretty clean. And PF stays right around 130.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, wespac78 said:

Titegroup is filthy because you're not loading enough gunpowder into the shell for it to build up enough pressure to expand the case to the barrel and create a pressure seal. If you load a little more powder it will become a much cleaner shooting powder. Usually with my loads 125gr Blue Bullets, around 3.9gr TG it seals up and shoots pretty clean. And PF stays right around 130.

Really?  With 3.7 I am at 138pf, and 1080 fps with a SD of 6 or so.  This seems like it would be pretty efficient, and if I up the charge I am over 140pf easy.  

The bore isn't what is getting dirty it is the rest of the gun.  Thick carbon and sludge after 5 to 10k.  I don't clean guns often, but if I can find a cleaner powder that makes my life easier that is what I want.  

Jon

Image 1.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Image 5.png

I use tite group for pretty low power loads. Yeah it leaves a layer of crap everywhere... but it's not that much worse than other powders and it comes off easy with a wipedown every few matches. I like not cleaning my guns bu 5-10k kinda dictates it. 

3 hours ago, zen_grasshopper said:

Really?  With 3.7 I am at 138pf, and 1080 fps with a SD of 6 or so.  This seems like it would be pretty efficient, and if I up the charge I am over 140pf easy.  

The bore isn't what is getting dirty it is the rest of the gun.  Thick carbon and sludge after 5 to 10k.  I don't clean guns often, but if I can find a cleaner powder that makes my life easier that is what I want.  

Jon

Image 1.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Image 5.png

Wow, that's a lot  of rounds between cleaning, may be able to get away with it with a Glock with little oil / lube in it...CZ not so much.

I use to shoot "new" Freedom 147's before I started reloading and whatever they used was very dirty, could see it all over the end of the slide and barrel after 50 rounds.

Don't see it with my Blue's and tightgroup.

I will do a quick wipe down and swab the barrel after each session / match ...5 to 10 min  at most.

I'll do a really deep clean normally  after the shooting season wraps up around here in Dec or Jan.

Waiting 5 to 10K,  you are making the cleaning way too hard on yourself.

Jon

1076139366_Image1.png.15ab145df390ebc5d47584ae3edd9267.png
1816567160_Image3.png.5e67fb4638f6a5809b977e62e8e3aa43.png
848477775_Image4.png.24aba5b6caa9e808911cd0b1b2503bab.png
299059786_Image5.png.d3861b446e77ee543cd3a787692daba6.png
I either fat finger'd or my phone auto corrected to 130. What I originally meant to type was 138 PF. From what I found with my experience with TG is the PF stays pretty constant once you get close to causing the pressure seal. With conversations I've had with wobbly and idescribe, I no longer chase that minimum PF. I prefer to have a little cleaner firing and manage the tiny bit of extra recoil with grip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 11:00 AM, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

I run Acme 135 grain RN with 3.3 Gr of Alliant Sport Pistol 1.12 OAL, with remington primers.  My power factor is 127,000.  Feels fantastic and is is very affordable

Dat power factor tho.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:47 AM, zen_grasshopper said:

Jon

Image 1.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Image 5.png

I can't imagine going that long without cleaning.  That crud buildup would be festering in the back of my mind the entire time I'm shooting.

I'll usually field strip after shooting, and at the very least blow the guts out with aerosol cleaner before putting it in the safe.