Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shok Buff

gotcha

Anyone has first hand experience with the Dawson aluminum buff?

Barry,

I've been running them in my open gun since February. I like the feel a lot.

Beth is still running Wilson buffs in her (almost identical) gun.

They do feel different. It's a bit difficult for me to describe. As inexpensive as they are, I'd get a couple and see if you like them.

Some shooters in this area are also running them in their limited guns as well.

As soon as ours is finished, I'll let you know about that.

-Chet

• 2 weeks later...
I only have a couple hundred rounds on a new batch of EGW buffs, so it's too early to tell anything.

Anyone using these?

That's all I've been using in my Super, .40, and .45. With any buff, it's a good idea to check them regularly to make sure that they haven't split, which can cause all sorts of problems. As it is now, I'm getting about 5k rounds (in my .40) from each buff.

Is the recoil spring stacking a common problem with shok buffs? Would you just cut off enough coils to compensate for the width of the buff to cure the problem?

No!

The addition of a buff will not change the stacking of the spring.

You should check every time you put in a new spring. Every spring can be different.

Make sure your spring is not stacking with the buff in.

Is the recoil spring stacking a common problem with shok buffs? Would you just cut off enough coils to compensate for the width of the buff to cure the problem?

Thanks.

You should always check the length of recoil springs. There can be a variation in length even with the same weight springs. I tested a brand new spring for a friend and the coils touched in the gauge, if you had used a buff it likely would have been too long and caused coil bind. However, that is probably an exception as all the new springs I have bought were ok with a buff.

Sherd has instructions somewhere on here with instructions on building a recoil spring tester. I don't recall if it checks length or just weight. The SDM Spring Tester, picture attached, has been discontinued, but it checks length & weight. Verify, but I believe the spec for a compressed spring on a 5" gun is 1.625".

Reoil_Spring_Guage.pdf