Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Unica Hammer

V2plus25

So do I need a Unica hammer on my Tanfos that are already running just fine with stock and Titan hammers?  What's the advantage of the Unica over the others.  Does it hit harder than all others?  Look cooler?  Tougher metal?

Just wondering.

No, for the love of all things good, no!

All in good humor with that comment.  My Stock 2's ran just fine, with good triggers on stock hammers. I found some deals on Titan hammers and didn't notice much difference. Big disclaimer - I'm not a trigger snob, never have owned a gun with a "fine custom trigger job"

Play if you want, but if your gun is running as currently setup, leave it alone, IMHO.

@SCTaylor I don’t think the Titan hammer makes a huge difference unless you’re after a combination of that and a Bolo, chasing the “zero pretravel, zero creep” kind of gun.

I had one. Discovered in short order that it takes some getting used to, messes you up when switchin to your polymer carry guns, and that Tanfos rock with factory hammer & 1pc sear.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

... and that Tanfos rock with factory hammer & 1pc sear.

Yeah I've had good luck going that route as well.  Why mess with a gun that consistently lights off rounds.  Just wondering what the appeal of this new hammer is.

2 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Yeah I've had good luck going that route as well.  Why mess with a gun that consistently lights off rounds.  Just wondering what the appeal of this new hammer is.

Harder primer strike with lower trigger pull force.  My buddy @Apolo  installed unica heavy hammer, bolo combo and with factory hammer spring had 2.0# SA in his gold team.   with Patriot Defense 14# spring he was 1 1/4#. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:06 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

@SCTaylor I don’t think the Titan hammer makes a huge difference unless you’re after a combination of that and a Bolo, chasing the “zero pretravel, zero creep” kind of gun.

I had one. Discovered in short order that it takes some getting used to, messes you up when switchin to your polymer carry guns, and that Tanfos rock with factory hammer & 1pc sear.

have to agree

tanfoglio runs great with  factory hammers  and 1 piece sear . both my S2 and S3 are factory with just minor polishing , just shoot them as they are

S2 Xtreme here. Medium springs. Delta Xtreme hammer, once you wear a tanfo in it’ll be smooth.

No it’s not essential. But improving what’s already good is not a bad thing. Or, if your chasing low trigger weights on fed primers.

Improving your grip is the most important thing to always remind yourself of. 

Do a class with a top shooter and had them your gat, you’ll see.

Edited by goshimu

I have owned Tanfo's that have utilized all the major designs floating around right now. My match Xtreme came with the Xtreme Delta. I have run that for about a year as my main gun, it is super reliable but, not close to the titan/bolo in my S3.

While converting my match xtreme to an open gun I purchased the Unica SA Hammer. While I have no problems with the delta hammer the Unica hammer is far superior! The only thing I can compare this hammer to is the feel of the Titan/BOLO sa trigger pull. It is so crisp and short that I had to get used to it. I did also change from the CGW floating trigger pin back to a Tanfo factory trigger pin. I feel that even though it is a hassle to get the trigger return spring in place the factory pin provides a much tighter fit.

I shot over 1k FMJ handloads through a barrel that has not been reamed yet without cleaning and had 2 failure to fire. They were both bullets that were probably made after I had 1 more beer than I should have before making bullets...and since it is a pain in the dick to take the slide off this thing I sure didn't plunk anything. So I feel that the hammer is as reliable as my previous set up (xtreme delta)

I would say don't drop everything and buy a Unica but, if you need a new hammer for some reason you should get two of them....2fc2803c1cdb8ad7ac440635f9fef855.jpgc7b1c077360cddfd2d5a50e2689406d0.jpgd35b35c0e0a4d8b2a37083e2692fda35.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have owned Tanfo's that have utilized all the major designs floating around right now. My match Xtreme came with the Xtreme Delta. I have run that for about a year as my main gun, it is super reliable but, not close to the titan/bolo in my S3.

While converting my match xtreme to an open gun I purchased the Unica SA Hammer. While I have no problems with the delta hammer the Unica hammer is far superior! The only thing I can compare this hammer to is the feel of the Titan/BOLO sa trigger pull. It is so crisp and short that I had to get used to it. I did also change from the CGW floating trigger pin back to a Tanfo factory trigger pin. I feel that even though it is a hassle to get the trigger return spring in place the factory pin provides a much tighter fit.

I shot over 1k FMJ handloads through a barrel that has not been reamed yet without cleaning and had 2 failure to fire. They were both bullets that were probably made after I had 1 more beer than I should have before making bullets...and since it is a pain in the dick to take the slide off this thing I sure didn't plunk anything. So I feel that the hammer is as reliable as my previous set up (xtreme delta)

I would say don't drop everything and buy a Unica but, if you need a new hammer for some reason you should get two of them....2fc2803c1cdb8ad7ac440635f9fef855.jpgc7b1c077360cddfd2d5a50e2689406d0.jpgd35b35c0e0a4d8b2a37083e2692fda35.jpg

The picture with two hammers is a side by side of the Unica and Xtreme Delta (unica in the front)

@billthemarine2862 wait...

You have all that money in two Open guns and you still use the BARREL to check your rounds?!

Shock. Bottle.

Eat nothing but ramen noodles for a month if you must, but everyone who reloads should consider the shockbottle 100rd case gauge a mandatory piece of gear. It got me back to gauging all of my ammo, and I literally cannot remember the last time I had an ammo failure.

I don't plunk them at all. It is really an open gun and a limited gun. I actually run the Match Xtreme Frame with the Gold Team slide. The match xtreme has a longer dust cover, it make a big difference in how flat the gun shoots with the crappy comp.

My limited div. barrel has been reamed and has no issues. Normally when loading I gauge some and check my rounds with a decent micrometer when starting a hundo. I do random checks as well with the micrometer.

My open barrel goes to PD tomorrow to get reamed so I am not really concerned about it.

This is the Gold Team Slide with the Match Xtreme frame. The match xtreme slide is on the GT frame in these pics.ee7c40cac045696efa1fc7624ebc0dd4.jpgb22541388091aafd872cb18a1796713d.jpg458d6dae1456ceebbde6ea96b277b083.jpg

10 minutes ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I am sure that once I do get around to getting one I will be glad that I did.

The 100 is very nice and I use it for what I shoot 90% of the time, but, anybody use this one http://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-golden-20-pocket-case-gauge-by-double-alpha/ ?

Am thinking that 20 rounds might have worked as well for me as the 100 since I dump all good rounds into a plastic coffee can anyway. 

On 7/14/2018 at 4:30 AM, goshimu said:

No it’s not essential. But improving what’s already good is not a bad thing. Or, if your chasing low trigger weights on fed primers.

Just thinking.

As I ponder the economics, thinking of a stock 2, the difference in parts price between maxed out and what seems to be considered adequate minimum (sear + springs of your choosing) is about $250-300.

Seems like a bargain in the big picture. I understand that you can develop skills to compensate for any lack of trigger snobbery, but it requires time taken away from other things, and more ammo, and the skills perish if not maintained. 

I own 2 Stock 2s both set up identical with the extreme sear, Titan Hammer and PD bolo, approx 6.5 DA and 2.5 SA, I love the set up. 

I recently purchased a Tanfoglio Limited and set it up with Henning flat trigger, his prepped sear and hammer combo and wasn’t fully happy with the feel of either stock or EGW hammers. Switched to the Unica hammer and it really improved the trigger consistency and feel over both the stock and Henning prepped hammers. Right now the  trigger is smooth and crisp with a consistent approximate 2 lb pull (I have a cheap trigger pull gauge). 

BTW all three hammers fired my 40 sw loads equally, the Unica just has a better feel, but in the heat of a stage it probably doesn’t matter. 

On 7/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

The 100 is very nice and I use it for what I shoot 90% of the time, but, anybody use this one http://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-golden-20-pocket-case-gauge-by-double-alpha/ ?

Am thinking that 20 rounds might have worked as well for me as the 100 since I dump all good rounds into a plastic coffee can anyway. 

I have both, the Shock bottle 100rnds is the tightest, the DA 20 one is fine. I also have the Dillon single gauge which is loosest (it's as loose as my Tanfo's chamber ? rounds who do not make it in the shock bottle go into the dillon, if the y don't fit I cannot shoot them ? 

Rounds that fail the hundo go thru the "bulge buster". If that doesn't fix them, then the crimp gets slightly tightened.

I run the crimp on the "snug" side in the hundo as they are most accurate that way.

11 hours ago, johnbu said:

Rounds that fail the hundo go thru the "bulge buster". If that doesn't fix them, then the crimp gets slightly tightened.

I just toss failures in the practice bucket. I might have 2 or 3 shockbottle-failures in 500 rounds of loaded ammo. 

I hate loading ammo. I’m damn sure not going to spend extra time fixing the crappiest of the ammo. :D 

I’ve never had a round that passed the shockbottle give me any issue other that a high primer which got missed on visual inspection. It feeds 100% and case gauging is fast with that thing.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I just toss failures in the practice bucket. I might have 2 or 3 shockbottle-failures in 500 rounds of loaded ammo. 

I've got a lot higher failure rate, something like 15%, although the failed rounds allmost always function just fine. 

With 9mm range brass being sometimes as low as $15 per 1000, the failed rounds get shot for practice & left behind, usually on a day where it is movement stuff and rounding up spent brass would be a big pain.  Nice to leave practice without picking up brass and be guilt free. 

• 2 weeks later...

the shock bottle saved my ass at least 2 times in the last 2 matches. I was able to catch bad ammo before taking it to the match. It already paid for itself when you add the cost of competing and matches fees.

I also got 1st in prod in the last 2 matches. :)

2 hours ago, Polymer said:

There is a unica sear now also, wonder if that's a necessity/ideal pair with the unica hammer. And i wonder what interruptor the hammer comes with. 

I saw that on PD's website and was wondering the exact same thing.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Just thinking.

As I ponder the economics, thinking of a stock 2, the difference in parts price between maxed out and what seems to be considered adequate minimum (sear + springs of your choosing) is about $250-300.

Seems like a bargain in the big picture. I understand that you can develop skills to compensate for any lack of trigger snobbery, but it requires time taken away from other things, and more ammo, and the skills perish if not maintained. 

I agree. It’s worth doing but I guess if you are on a budget it can wait.

Cheap in the scheme of things I agree.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:03 AM, billthemarine2862 said:

Thanks for the feedback on the unica compared to the X delta.