Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Moonclip Storage

Adamj

There's a thread here from 4 years ago discussing the storage and transportation of loaded Moon clips. I'm just getting started in revolver competition and wanted to see if anyone has developed a new way or changed up their method for bringing loaded Moon Clips to a match.

I would love to find a manufactured insert for range bag like the ones user Brian Gonsalves made. Are my only options right now to stick with my fishing tackle box or draw my own plans for a rack?

From a tip I think I got here, I have a Flambeau utility box.  Model number 4006.  I bought it at Lowe's for a whopping $3.  And it holds 30 loaded .38 super moons like it was made for it.  Fits in the bottom of my bag as well.

I made a holder/carrier out of a plastic tool caddy. It's the kind with a handle and a compartment on either side. It fits exactly in the bottom of my bag. Bought 1/2" aluminum rod and cut it so 2 loaded moons fit on it. (they slide over 1/2") Drilled & tapped the bottoms 1/4x20. Mounted the rods spaced out so I get 24 moon clips x2. I load all mine before a match and recharge my belt as I go.

Dillon Border Shift bag.  Simple, non-specific.  $25 or so.  Loaded moonclips in one side, empties in other.  That's my plan, at least. 

I generally leave the "big" range bag in the truck during match.  If things go sideways and I need the backup gun or to repair something, I can always hoof it to the truck.  

36 minutes ago, woodrow said:

A long time ago a dude came up with an ammo can solution. Its awesome and I want to make one, just havent gotten around to it. Pretty simple construction. 0b4bf248e7991226521c64456e36d31b.jpg471ca98aadfc9a3594e0fa560e7831bc.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I think this is similar to what I had in mind. If I could construct something that would fit in the smaller bag I use for matches that would be ideal. I would just like to upgrade from my plano box. 

Like Justin M I'd rather leave my full range bag in the car. 

2 hours ago, tkheard said:

I made a board for mine that fits in my bag. Pic below. IMG_0057.JPG

This is exactly what I was envisioning. Did you use a wooden board and wooden dowels? And is that the Midway match range bag? One last question how many clips can you fit at a time?

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

I made a board with dowels that fits in the plastic ammo cans. Works great holds 40 loaded clips per can. faadf0d1bec596f6ce1a12c12c7a001c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I like this idea from my storage perspective. I wonder if I could use the same bored in a can and in a bag. Also, not to derail the topic but I did notice that those are short Colts. I just recently bought 500 pieces and was wondering what load you used. I was thinking of picking up Bayou 160 s but hadn't settled on the powder. 

7 hours ago, one-gun said:

From a tip I think I got here, I have a Flambeau utility box.  Model number 4006.  I bought it at Lowe's for a whopping $3.  And it holds 30 loaded .38 super moons like it was made for it.  Fits in the bottom of my bag as well.

My wife picked up some of those as well.  We have some smaller ones as well as 2 of the bigger ones.  Fits easily in the wheeled range bags we use.

some of you are quite ingenious 

14 hours ago, Adamj said:

I like this idea from my storage perspective. I wonder if I could use the same bored in a can and in a bag. Also, not to derail the topic but I did notice that those are short Colts. I just recently bought 500 pieces and was wondering what load you used. I was thinking of picking up Bayou 160 s but hadn't settled on the powder. 

7 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

Where'd you get those pretty purple bullets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm Loading 3.4g Clay Dot (pretty much the same as Clays) with Eggleston 9mm 147s sized .358   they run about 126 PF out of my wife's V comp and 135 PF out of Mine. My wife loves purple so we had to get purple bullets and Eggleston had them, so that's how I ended up with their bullets. I will say they are plenty accurate in our guns and the profile is very nice to load.

I use old CD containers. They come in different heights if you want more rows or use different OAL ammo. I drill a hole in the top and then I can put the stem base in from either side but usually use the open side up and put a regular 5 inch plastic top on them. It is easy to carry two or three in your range bag.

There are 7 clips on each level ... At the range I take the first level and put it on my belt ... remove the blank CD (used as a platform to enforce stacking and protect the primers).

When I shoot a stage I return and pull fresh clips from the bottom layer ... as I do I put the spent clips in their place. When the bottom layer has 7 spend clips I put the buffer CD on top of them and start filling the top ... when the case is full I put the plastic lid on to protect the clips (and proceed to the next container).

Used to use taller cases when I shooting 38 specials ... cheap to buy in bulk. 3 cases in your bag will do a whole steel challenge match ... a couple will easily do a regular USPSA/ICORE match. 

cdclips.jpg.494fdaf3306d72d1b07d92c58b9b27c8.jpg

Here is a quickie photo of one with the lid on ... These are cheap ... require no talent/skill to create and allow easy access w/ doing a great job of protecting your clips (IMHO anyhow ... ). ?

cdlid.jpg.ff989fcbdd64e31b3e745ce42a1c412b.jpg

Edited by pete627
Edit: Oh ... they stack on top of each other real nice too ...

1 hour ago, eggman said:

I made this stand for 625 loaded moonclips to fit in the Snapon toolbag that also serves as a seat .

It holds more than enough loaded moonclips for a 6 stage IDPA match.

IMG_0101.JPG

This is exactly what I had in mind. I need to construct something that will use a portion of my match bag. Did you use delrin and metal rods?

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

I use a Plano fishing tackle box found at Dicks or most other sporting goods stores...

IMG_1660.thumb.jpg.e2ba8e1edcf4b750ed3a6376d404e875.jpg

This is my current setup for steel challenge matches where I know I won't suck it up and need extra reloads

15 hours ago, Adamj said:

This is exactly what I had in mind. I need to construct something that will use a portion of my match bag. Did you use delrin and metal rods?

Yes, I got the Delrin sheet and Aluminium rod from McMaster-Carr . I tapped a hole in the flat end of rods and ran a countersunk screw from the bottom of Delrin sheet to fasten .