Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Targets

bjones6686

How do you guys practice or prepare for moving targets? I shot a local match today that had a max trap, a swinger, and a mover all on the same stage. Have shot max traps and swingers before but never a mover. To make it worse this stage had all IPSC classic AKA turtle targets. The mover had 2 targets on it and traveled pretty fast from hard cover to hard cover. I shot a clean penalty free match up until this stage. Got 1 mike on the swinger and 1 mike on one of the mover targets. The hits I did have on the mover targets we're crappy.

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I find most people... rush. Shot calling is the first thing that goes - on the targets where you need it most.

I did rush it a little bit. Only had a few seconds to shoot at the 2 targets on the mover. The mover traveled roughly 25 feet from hard cover to hard cover. I don't shoot many major matches so this is the first time I've shot a mover before. Kinda confused me. Didn't know how to shoot it properly.

8 minutes ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Practice on moving targets.

Extra points if you build yourself a swinger to use in dryfire.

Wish it was just that easy. My local conservation club that I'm a member at has lots of steel targets for Outlaw Steel matches but doesn't host any USPSA matches. Hard to justify spending all that money on swingers and max traps when I barely ever see them at a local. 

7 minutes ago, bjones6686 said:

Wish it was just that easy. My local conservation club that I'm a member at has lots of steel targets for Outlaw Steel matches but doesn't host any USPSA matches. Hard to justify spending all that money on swingers and max traps when I barely ever see them at a local. 

It isn't easy, but it is simple. If you're trying to practice for moving targets without practicing on moving targets, I don't know what to tell you but good luck.

It's not at all expensive to build your own dryfire swinger, you can even build it out of PVC. Not only will it teach you different methods of shooting a swinger, but it gives you the ability to practice tracking the A zone on a moving target.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

A skateboard with a target stand on it.

A dog.

Fetch.

I don't have a dog but do have a couple kids with a skateboard. I'm sure I could get them to roll it back and forth across the room or backyard with some targets on it for me to do dryfire practice on. 

A serious reply: only shot at a lateral moving one a few times, but done well on them historically.

I hold on the leading edge of the A-zone. Right on the A/C line. Do that, find the corners of the front sight, and watch it lift twice.

If you didn’t need to lead it, two close C’s are the absolute worst-case scenario. If you did need to lead it, you’ll have two shots further into the A. And you’ll know for next time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

What I found was most people chase the moving targets making it difficult to hit.  Way back in my IDPA days, We shot a lot of swingers and moving targets.  Pick a point on the target where it passes and wait for the leading edge.  Chasing the target will confuse you even more.  You're probably better off building a swinger out of pvc, it will be more like what you will encounter in matches.  Moving targets are hard to practice.  the skateboard idea seems interesting.  Any practice you do on either of them will better prepare you for the next encounter.

10 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Difficulty for me depends not only in the speed of movers/swing but equally in the distance they have to be shot. Also if there are penalty no-shoots on the scoring targets. 

Yea the swinger I shot yesterday was roughly 15 yards away and was fast. The swinger was one of the faster swingers I've came across. The mover was 20 yards away and had no shoots where it ended at. Luckily the max trap was only 3 yards away.

2 thoughts on a mover.

Taught my sons to shoot a mover with a motorcycle tire with cardboard inside and a paper plate taped to it. Rolled it down a slight grade. (while I stood behind a big tree) It ran about 20 yds. He got really good with a .22 and got so he could hit anything! He was awesome on the Texas Star and Polish Plate Rack when he was about 12. We held right on the leading edge of the plate from about 15 - 20 yd.

Thought #2. I made a simple mover with a cable, magnet, switch and trolley for my range. 30 ft in about 5 sec. Same thing can be done for dryfire inside a basement with clothesline and a simple trolley.

Imagination counts!

Have fun inventing...

12 hours ago, stick said:

What I found was most people chase the moving targets making it difficult to hit.  Way back in my IDPA days, We shot a lot of swingers and moving targets.  Pick a point on the target where it passes and wait for the leading edge.  Chasing the target will confuse you even more.  You're probably better off building a swinger out of pvc, it will be more like what you will encounter in matches.  Moving targets are hard to practice.  the skateboard idea seems interesting.  Any practice you do on either of them will better prepare you for the next encounter.

When I was starting to shoot moving targets such as swingers and movers I wait and aim at a point they would pass and “ambush” them. Later as my skill and confidence improved I noticed I shoot them where my eyes were looking at them. Its like chasing but not in the strict sense of the word. My eyes do the chasing but the aim goes where my eyes are looking the instant the gun is presented to the moving target. So while my vision is chasing the target, the gun does not. The technique came to me like gradual development thru constant interaction w/ this type of targets. Not forced nor consciously learned. Now I could shoot and hit swingers not only on its “dwell” time. In movers, i visually chase then shoot it where the target, vision and aim converge. 

All good hints.  If you arent first shooter, air gun it while other shooters are shooting.  Its not best way to practice movers but it can help.  Feel the time it takes from activation til visible.  Lead target, calling your hits as you dryfire.  Replay until you have it in your subconscious.  Then replay it completely in your mind.  All while airgunning.  Looks silly but is effective.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd just bite the bullet and go reset it every time.  I like to train for harder movers so the ones in the match are super easy.  

I recommend shooting partials at swingers progressively farther and set it up so you can shoot it on a few passes.

Focus on calling your shots.