Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New MPX Model? NRA '18

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what the real differences are, and what the MSRP will increase to, I would not be surprised to see it push $2500.  The MPX is still very much a problem platform so there's plenty of room for them to improve.  My guess is this is what really should be called the Gen 4.   When the Gen 2 changed it's bolt carrier, firing pin, gas plug and barrel retainment system that easily should have been Gen 3.   SIg is probably scared to attach a new Gen number every year and admit it's still a very problem plagued platform.

Recoil TV has a video that has more detail.  The barrel is a full 16" + recoil comp, not a 14.5 pin/weld.   The trigger is a partner effort with Timney, crisp single stage 4.5lb (so they say).  They don't mention any piston changes in that video.   The handguard does look much nicer.    If they did improve the piston system yet again, perhaps "Gen 4" will be what it should have been the first time.   Sig just can't seem to get much right the first couple attempts these days.

It's an improved, but still not Hiperfire level, trigger. Night and day compared to the old one though. The stock also doesn't feel awful like the original one does. 

Honest opinion the upgrades take the stock, trigger and hand guard from mandatory to replace to optional to replace. Time will tell what that translates to for the MSRP increase. 

I see this as Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI):

·      The butt stock is a simplification on the supply chain ( it is the same as the MCX now)

·       The original hand guard design was intended to cover a suppressor this is more commercial but it is still aluminum so I prefer my Lancer CF

·       Any trigger change is an improvement over the original

·       16” barrel with a comp? I will pass I am happy with my 13.7 with MBX comps

The Only issues with the gas system were people who don’t understand that the MPX is a locked breach gas piston operated system and was designed around full power ammo that falls into the 155-163 PF range out of the 13.7” barrel (premium U.S HP, NATO Spec).   There are port presser relative to the powder burn rate and dwell time factors when doing ammo selection and load development for the MPX. If you are using coated or exposed lead base bullets in the MPX then expect to be doing extra (deep) cleaning of the gas system ( IME a major pain bordering on impossible  without a ultra sonic tank).I did a ILWT gas plug replacement on my primary because I shot 2K of FMJ that leaded the gas plug up bad,  I put it in the ultra sonic for  8 hours and barley dented the build up so I concluded it was easier to replace it than clean it. I have 24K on my primary an 4K on my backup, my primary is the old FP/Carrier type SIG sent me the upgrade but I wanted to shoot the originals to the failure point and it is still GTG.

Any insight or ETA when this 2018 model should be available for purchase? I just checked Sig's wite and it looks the prices went slightly up on all SKUs of the MPX, so maybe it is a sign it is coming soon? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...