Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 owners do you shoot 147 during competitions?

kmanick

I shot a "walls of steel" match this weekend and used some tuned 124 instead of 47 and found that 124 did kick a little bit more

but didn't notice a huge difference. I did notice that I am better with fast follow ups (double tap) with 147

but I could go with either one and just train with it

Off the shelve ammo is a different story all together though, when comparing S&B 124 vs AE 147 the difference is 

substantial

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a S2 shooter (TSO 9mm), but I use the 150gr American Eagle Syntech and prefer the softer shooting from them. I have fairly decent grip, but I'm new to the sport. I did add a DPM RRS (I've only changed the recoil spring) so the slide does come back faster and the TSO shoots awfully flat. I have the 124 gr Syntech and I'm surprised how much I can tell the difference. I now use the remainder as "practice" ammo, but it requires me to change the spring.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

anyone use Hornady XTP 147gr bullets for their rounds? 

any plus/minus to these?

I did a site search but most hornady searches come up with reloading "gear"

My buddy just made a couple 100 rounds of  these and I'm curious as whether these are considered "premium" bullet heads or not

On 4/30/2018 at 3:47 PM, race1911 said:

KMANICK....a reduced power firing pin spring comes with the lighter than stock mainspring (hammer spring) and is used with the extended firing pin..................a reduced power trigger return spring connects with the trigger/trigger bar to reduce the tension of the trigger return/pull and is ordered separately (does not come with any other part when ordered)

On 4/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, rowdyb said:

Ernie Langdon's two part video on youtube, "fear not the doulbe action shot" will get you up to speed perfectly.

Secondly, grip the gun firmly enough and pull the trigger in a manner that the action of pulling/pressing the trigger doesn't disturb the sights. If you're going slow or staging or focusing on it, you're going to be unhappy with the result. So start focusing on better actions.

I'm working with a buddy of mine doing some experimenting now

he got in some 145 and 135 rounds this past week and we loaded them with win 231 and went from 3.2 grains up to 3.7

The 145's with 3.2 felt like .22's, if they make a PF of 130 ....that's my round.

the 135's with 3.5 were also very nice. We didn't Chrono them yet , but I've gotten some rounds from JJrAmmo in CT recently and shot a couple of matches with them.

he rolled me 147's that went at 890FPS with a 130 PF. I love em! if we can reproduce what he made for me ,we'll make a few thousand rounds of them.

We've got a lot of the 135 bullets so we may focus on those first. 3.5-3.7gr of the 231 felt great , we need to check PF on them though.

(we're using these red rounds , he calls them "lipstick rounds")

Now that I'm getting used to using "tuned rounds" the stuff off the shelf feels super hot to me (I usually shoot S&B 124)

Sliv2, where are you buying the Federal ammo? Thanks for your help.
Brownells has them in stock now, but I usually order from Outdoor Limited (best price I've seen). I'm currently sitting on 2000 rounds; I buy them when I see its available

11 hours ago, twister said:

Sliv2, where are you buying the Federal ammo? Thanks for your help.

I've subscribed to most major retailers that stock it, and order it as it becomes available. 

As has been said, It's hard to beat Precision Delta's 147 ammo for an off the shelf Production/ CO round.  It was specifically designed for that purpose in mind.  It makes about 130PF in a G17, and is a true jacketed bullet, and runs very clean. 

It runs on sale from time to time for $215/case shipped, so check frequently.  

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-147gr-fmj-remanufactured-ammunition/

The federal ammo comes in at $110 for a box of 500 depending on where you get it. And the box is the "official" round for USPSA. So you cant really beat that.

As has been said, It's hard to beat Precision Delta's 147 ammo for an off the shelf Production/ CO round.  It was specifically designed for that purpose in mind.  It makes about 130PF in a G17, and is a true jacketed bullet, and runs very clean. 
It runs on sale from time to time for $215/case shipped, so check frequently.  
https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-147gr-fmj-remanufactured-ammunition/

7 minutes ago, Inkw8ll said:

The federal ammo comes in at $110 for a box of 500 depending on where you get it. And the box is the "official" round for USPSA. So you cant really beat that.

The PD ammo can be had cheaper, is a true jacketed bullet, and was the official ammo of USPSA for a long time ;) 

Everyone needs to buy what they prefer, but you cannot go wrong with PD 147s in a Production or CO gun. 

The PD ammo can be had cheaper, is a true jacketed bullet, and was the official ammo of USPSA for a long time [emoji6] 

Everyone needs to buy what they prefer, but you cannot go wrong with PD 147s in a Production or CO gun. 
Options are good. I do really like these coated bullets from Federal and I guess that's why I'm sharing the info. I've never had a barrel so clean after shooting these TSJs

we're using the  Acme "Lipstick" rounds now for these 145's and 135's we're loading.

Very interested to see what they leave behind in my gun and my magazines :)

I think if loaded to the same PF it all doesn't matter that much. 124's tend to group a bit (a bit..) tighter and 147.s 'feel' a bit softer (and slower)...

All by all, just shoot them. 

I've been using Remington's UMC 147 gr bullets and they are noticeably softer shooting.  They are periodically hard to find (I'm guessing Remington does intermittent runs during the year), but they are my bullet of choice these days.  Even shoots well out of a S&W Shield for a BUG match

On 5/17/2018 at 10:17 PM, rowdyb said:

yes, those would be considered a premium bullet

and they lock up the slide on my S2 :(

40 rounds fired 5 jams where I couldn't even get the slide to move

What a shame as the ones that did fire were nice and soft and accurate as all get out.

Luckily my M&P 9L is not being as finicky

Edited by kmanick

5 hours ago, wespac78 said:

Guess I'm behind the curve lol. I use 125gr in my shadow 2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i actually think you're in the majority. most people i know in real life shoot a 124/5 out of their shadow 2

29 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

i actually think you're in the majority. most people i know in real life shoot a 124/5 out of their shadow 2

Or tanfoglio.

I strongly preferred the way 125s felt in mine. How the sights track and how flat the gun is? That matter way more than how soft it “feels.”

^ this , we made 1000 rounds of  Acme 135 with 3.6gr of winchester 231 cam in at at PF of 133 and shot a steel challenge today.

very nice, no issues , soft kick and spot on. I hosed my first 2 stages but the last 3 I did pretty well.

Edited by kmanick

Interesting to read about the 135s. Seems like they would be the ‘perfect balance’ of speedier slide speed and lower felt recoil.

ive been running Xtreme 147 plated HP for practice/club matches and 147 Zero JHPs for major matches.  They are the closest in accuracy and I don’t have to change a thing on my 650. Plated save me a penny or two per. 3K practice so far and about 800 match rounds down range with zero issues. 

I will say with the same powder charge the plated barely make minor PF while the JHPs come in right at 128-229. Yeah, I too like to live dangerously