Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One M&P to rule them all

Bronco9588

I have always been a fan of the m&p line and would like to get into some competative shooting. I am military and tend to move around a bit and don't want to close the door on particular classes. Is it possible to get one pistol that can do major and minor without getting out of production or service pistol class? I have thought about a long slide m&p 40 core and dropping in a 9 barrel, but I think this maybe prohibited. Thanks for the pointers. I do reload, but 9mm bullets are more economical than 40s and I give up mag capacity.

To be the competitive and legal across the most division you will need to get a 40 and reload.  9 barrel in forty is a no go for in production.  minor in limited sucks

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Depends on how serious you are .    I shot Minor Limited for years - 

wasn't going to win anyway, and it was a LOT of FUN  :) 

I am not super competitive,  but I am not going to give away points. I shot limited minor too so I speak from experience when I say, it sucks

40 S&W is the only way to get your do everything M&P. You can drop 40 to minor but you cannot shoot 9mm major in anything but open. You also cannot drop a 9mm barrel into a 40 and be legal in production. When I shot only 40 my minor load was 140gr bayou coated bullets, the price is about them same as 147gr 9mm.

• 1 month later...

Sight variation to the question: what if I get both a 9 and a 40?

Seriously though, I was looking at putting an apex daek in the 9 and putting a competition aek in a 40. Anybody have experience with both? Besides the striker spring it appears that the differences between the two kits is contained in the lower. Me thinks i could have production lower and an unlimited lower and swap the slides. Really I am thinking out loud and will need at least 3 m&ps and a 2011 to solve this problem.

On an aside any CC a 5 inch barreled gun?

On 3/31/2018 at 7:15 AM, Bronco9588 said:

I have always been a fan of the m&p line and would like to get into some competative shooting. I am military and tend to move around a bit and don't want to close the door on particular classes. Is it possible to get one pistol that can do major and minor without getting out of production or service pistol class? I have thought about a long slide m&p 40 core and dropping in a 9 barrel, but I think this maybe prohibited. Thanks for the pointers. I do reload, but 9mm bullets are more economical than 40s and I give up mag capacity.

Production division is only scored Minor PF (as well as Carry Optics), to use Major PF, you are restricted to Limited, Open, and Single Stack (I don't know anything about Revolver).

Do you want to shoot both IDPA and USPSA? If so get a M&P for production, or carry optics. Only difference is you'll need slight different holster set ups.

To try to shoot the same gun in production and limited is really self defeating. Concentrate on one class.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, Bronco9588 said:

would like to get into competative shooting.  Can one pistol do major and minor?

Personally, I'd stick with the 9mm, but to do BOTH major and minor, you'd want to load .40.  

.40 Minor is a very nice gun to shoot (soft) and .40 Major gets you max

points in Limited.

Always some downsides (.40 is lower mag capacity and more expensive to reload, etc).

On 3/31/2018 at 10:46 AM, RJH said:

To be the competitive and legal across the most division you will need to get a 40 and reload.  9 barrel in forty is a no go for in production.  minor in limited sucks

Can a ported gun be converted to production by a non ported barrel swap?

13 hours ago, Bronco9588 said:

Can a ported gun be converted to production by a non ported barrel swap?

yes I have  Performance center 9L.

I swapped out the barrel for a kkm non ported and now I can use it in Carry Optics.

M&P in 9 or 40 will both be a great gun to shoot with. Plus side with 40 is you can shoot major or minor power factor. Plus side with 9 is the extra few rounds of mag capacity. A lot of sight options and trigger options outh their to customize the gun to your wants and needs. 

• 1 year later...

Just build a 5" of each 9mm and 40. If you want to cover carry optics, make the 9mm a CORE.

use my 9mm for 3-gun and the 40 for Limited. I don't care for any other divisions except PCC, but thats another discussion entirely.Lol

M&P competition.jpg

I have numerous M&Ps that I shoot in competition (USPSA and outlaw 3-gun), including 5" Pros in both 9 and 40, both with Apex FSS trigger kits, mag wells etc. Are they the most competitive gun? NO. But I don't place noticeably lower than I did with a .40 STI, and I much prefer the ergonomics and dead-nuts reliability of the M&P platform. Get the 2.0 - way more accurate out of the box (at least in 9mm).