Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big C-More or Micro Dot?

Sporky

This is only the 2nd season that I am shooting open and I had the opportunity to move to the old c--more slide ride after shooting my first season with a DPP.

Seems to me like the bigger glass is an advantage but I am still new to the dot.  

Has anyone else switched around?  I still have my DPP and I was wondering if I should switch back to it before the season really starts up?

Devote and train with the one you like. They are a different height and it takes time to get use to either one . Flip flopping would be a waste of time in training for myself so i stick with the same on all my open guns , which is the DPP at this time .

I went with micro-dot and I like it.  I have shot the C-more's and was never a huge fan of it.  They work and arguably are more reliable, but the additional height over bore can make a difference I think, and also mess with my index-ing more if I want to switch back to irons. 

Realistically does it make much of a difference? Probably not really, but I thought the advantages of a micro were worth it,

15 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

They work and arguably are more reliable, 

Very arguably... I have had two different Sliderides lose zero, but have never had an issue with either a RTS2 or DPP. 

OP: absolutely do not ditch the DPP for a slideride. 

When I first messed with open guns they had sliderides and I didn’t like the feel even when at 90 degree. When I went back to open recently I set up both gun swith micro dots and like them a lot. Very little difference from shooting similar guns with iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK I put my Delta Point Pro on the blaster last night.

I will get it sighted in and see how it goes.  I'll report back later and see how it goes.I

I have to say, that just from getting it mounted and messing around with it, that the bigger glass on the Slideride seems like it would be easier to find the dot.......

We shall see

I went from a regular c-more to a DPP and took about a month to get use to it. I lost the dot on hard leans so i dry fired those a lot. Indexing was also different but now i love the DPP and shoot it just as fast as i did the old c-more . Just dry fire and practice with it, you will get it.

I have both the Slideride and a DPP 2.5.  I absolutely cannot switch back and forth without playing find-the-dot.  It takes me a week of dry fire to transition from one to another.  I thought the SR's larger window would be an advantage.  It isn't.  I use DPPs on both my Steel Challenge guns.  The two guns I'm currently building will wear slide mounted DPPs.  I plan to convert the Slideride gun to a DPP.

I also have three RTS2v4s.  They are not as good as the DPP IMO.

I have both the Slideride and a DPP 2.5.  I absolutely cannot switch back and forth without playing find-the-dot.  It takes me a week of dry fire to transition from one to another.  I thought the SR's larger window would be an advantage.  It isn't.  I use DPPs on both my Steel Challenge guns.  The two guns I'm currently building will wear slide mounted DPPs.  I plan to convert the Slideride gun to a DPP.

I also have three RTS2v4s.  They are not as good as the DPP IMO.

Interested in your opinion on advantages in the DPP vs RTS2. I’m new to open and currently set up with RTS2 and a Romeo 3 (basically same thing). I’m somewhat limited on options due to mounts available for tanfoglio though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ultimate choice was which was most reliable that I could live my daily shooters life without any worry at all if my reddot will or not go south on next practice, match or stage :)

Whatever disadvantage one over another type/brand, if its reliable, I believe I can overcome with practice :)

k, the RTS2s eat batteries.  One will not last an entire match even if I turn it down after each stage.  The dot is too dim for SC.  One will last the whole match.  The third will last one match even if I don't turn it down between stages.  The only battery I've changed in a DPP was on a new one, because the battery it came with was almost dead.

Agreed

I turn mine on at the beginning of the match and leave it on until I’m done for the day, and my battery lasts at least a month

plus it’s plenty bright, as bright or more than my old slide rides

On 3/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, zzt said:

k, the RTS2s eat batteries.  One will not last an entire match even if I turn it down after each stage.  The dot is too dim for SC.  One will last the whole match.  The third will last one match even if I don't turn it down between stages.  The only battery I've changed in a DPP was on a new one, because the battery it came with was almost dead.

I have the same problem with my RTS2. Try to check the battery tray. I found a crack on the tray that there were occasions the dot disappeared and cannot keep the battery life longer. 2 to 3 matches the most. Try to call Cmore and they can tell if you have an old battery tray (V2). It's been 3 months and I am still using the same battery after putting the new replacement tray from Cmore.

I have used both and for shooting 9major the DPP makes ejection much easier to tune.  I also like the way it zeros and battery life.  The bigger lense of the slide ride is the only advantage and that really hasn't been an issue for me.

Just switched to a DPP 2.5 over a 90 degree c-more on a cheely setback. I’ve only dryfired with it so far but initial impressions are good. Dot is easy to find although the drastic difference in height over bore and the dot is super bright and crisp. Will report my thoughts after some live fire . s5lbmo.jpg

Edited by Knguyen1904

On 3/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, echotango said:

Something wrong with your rts2's. I have 4 and they last months. 

Mine as well. I have had mine for 3 months and hadn’t noticed any dimming. On the 4th month, on a bright sunny day, I noticed it just a little. Changed it out and have been running with it an additional 3 months now. 

I started shooting Open when Aimpoint's and Tasco PDP3's were the norm.  When C-More's were introduced, they offered durability and lighter weight.

Until my most recent Open gun, bought in October 2016, I'd only used C-More's (Slide Ride's and Serendipity's).  I decided to go MRD after fighting the ejector/extractor issues common with 9mm majors.  My first DPP (2.5 MOA) lasted less than 5K before Leupold replaced it.  And, the 2.5 MOA is not as large as most claim to my eyes.  It was smaller than the 6 MOS Slide Ride that came with the gun.  I traded the new/replaced 2.5 for a 7.5.  It lasted 7K - 8K before going back.  They only replaced the board on this one.

While it was in Oregon, I put the conventional mount back on and a 8 MOA Slide Ride.  With some good advice from a smith in SC, and some patients, I have the gun running 99.9%.

I understand the perceived advantage of the lower dot location on the MRD's, but I a switch between a STI Open gun and a Glock Limited gun for SCSA regularly.  It takes 10-15 minutes of dryfire, and I'm picking up the dot/sight.

And, I guess I've been lucky.  I've never lost zero on a Slide Ride.  They do kill batteries faster than the MRD's, but everything about them is larger including their amp draw.

Just my $0.02.  

Edited by cferree

On 4/6/2018 at 2:19 AM, Knguyen1904 said:

Just switched to a DPP 2.5 over a 90 degree c-more on a cheely setback. I’ve only dryfired with it so far but initial impressions are good. Dot is easy to find although the drastic difference in height over bore and the dot is super bright and crisp. Will report my thoughts after some live fire . s5lbmo.jpg

Went to the range and can say I’m really happy with the switch. I thought the slightly smaller glass would be an issue but the dot is still easy to find and is noticeably sharper in daylight conditions . Can’t even tell the difference between the 2.5 moa dot on the DPP and my 8moa cmore