Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot size carry optics

boudreux

What is the preferred moa on the dot for for carry optics? I shot a Burris ff3 this weekend with an 8 moa dot. It was easy to see and I didn’t feel like it was covering too much, even at 25 yds. Are the smaller dots easy to see even in bright sunlight? I know some of this is personal preference but I’m just interested in seeing what is most widely used 

1 minute ago, DKorn said:

I’m using a Vortex Viper 6 MOA. For the distances and target sizes we shoot, a large-ish dot seems better since it’s faster to pick up and still doesn’t cover too much of the target area. 

Do you mind telling me what gun it is on? I looked through a Glock 34 with a venom and it felt like i had to tilt the barrel up quite a bit to find the dot on the first shot. The ff3 I shot this weekend was on a Beretta 92 and it was very easy to pick up on the first shot. Don’t know if it’s th difference in grip angle or just me. The ff3 seems to have a much larger window than the venom 

I use a 6moa Viper on a G17, I wouldn't want anything smaller, I would consider a larger dot. If you're not accustomed to Glocks you will find yourself pushing the muzzle down to find the dot, see people do it all the time.

The 2.5moa DPP is probably the most popular optic in CO at the moment, apparently it blooms when cranked up. I know people with them but haven't looked through any.

22 hours ago, boudreux said:

Do you mind telling me what gun it is on? I looked through a Glock 34 with a venom and it felt like i had to tilt the barrel up quite a bit to find the dot on the first shot. The ff3 I shot this weekend was on a Beretta 92 and it was very easy to pick up on the first shot. Don’t know if it’s th difference in grip angle or just me. The ff3 seems to have a much larger window than the venom 

Mine is on a Walther Q5. 

I have five Burris FF3s on 8MOA, three RTS2v4s in 6MOA and three Deltapoint Pros in 2.5MOA.  I also have a 6MOA Slideride.  I prefer the 6MOA over the 8.  The DPP 2.5 looks larger than spec.  I prefer the DPP for Steel Challenge, because it has the brightest dot and I can see it on white steel in bright sunlight, regardless of where the sun is.  The RTS2s run great, but eat batteries.  I carry a stack of spares.  The Burris is a great inexpensive sight.  My oldest is 5 years old and is slide mounted on my competition 1911 45.  Batteries last forever.  When they go, it is so gradual you do not notice the dimming.  Pop a new battery in a bingo- bright.

Of the three, the FF3 has the smallest window.  The DPP is larger and the RTS2 is larger still.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I have five Burris FF3s on 8MOA, three RTS2v4s in 6MOA and three Deltapoint Pros in 2.5MOA.  I also have a 6MOA Slideride.  I prefer the 6MOA over the 8.  The DPP 2.5 looks larger than spec.  I prefer the DPP for Steel Challenge, because it has the brightest dot and I can see it on white steel in bright sunlight, regardless of where the sun is.  The RTS2s run great, but eat batteries.  I carry a stack of spares.  The Burris is a great inexpensive sight.  My oldest is 5 years old and is slide mounted on my competition 1911 45.  Batteries last forever.  When they go, it is so gradual you do not notice the dimming.  Pop a new battery in a bingo- bright.

Of the three, the FF3 has the smallest window.  The DPP is larger and the RTS2 is larger still.

Great over view of the different good sight available!!!

I like the OLD delta point with the 7.5 delta the best!

But sadly it's only available used!

And if they warranty it, they send a DPP for a replacement!

I finally got to look through a 3 Moa venom today. It was much smaller than I expected. I've notice that the dot on the venom is not real sharp, kinda distorted if that makes sense. I'm guessing the more expensive dots probably have a more uniform dot

On 3/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, zzt said:

How is the dot on the ff3? Is it more of a dot than a splatter (if that makes sense)? Is the 8 moa dot effective in uspsa? Good enough for 25 yd head shots or is it too big? 

The 8MOA dot on a FF3 appears perfectly round to me.  However, I have Rx shooting glasses that correct for vision and astigmatism.  8MOA is not too large for anything USPSA.  I went with 6 on the RTS2s only because that was what was available at the time.  I find the 6 no more or less precise than the 8.  The RTS2s and the Slideride do have some 'splatter' when you turn the dot up enough to be useful in bright light.  The DPP 2.5 blooms if you turn it all the way up.  It is perfectly round if you turn it down a setting or two.  It is more precise than the other two.

9 hours ago, zzt said:

The 8MOA dot on a FF3 appears perfectly round to me.  However, I have Rx shooting glasses that correct for vision and astigmatism.  8MOA is not too large for anything USPSA.  I went with 6 on the RTS2s only because that was what was available at the time.  I find the 6 no more or less precise than the 8.  The RTS2s and the Slideride do have some 'splatter' when you turn the dot up enough to be useful in bright light.  The DPP 2.5 blooms if you turn it all the way up.  It is perfectly round if you turn it down a setting or two.  It is more precise than the other two.

Thanks man I think I’ll give the ff3 a shot 

• 3 weeks later...

I like the RTS2 over the Venon, Viper, and Burris FF3.

My friend has the DPP for CO. It seems that the DPP’s dot doesn’t fade out when there’s a lot of sunlight in your face.

I’ve lost the dot on my RTS2 a few times because of the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk