Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sell my 1911s to fund an SVI? (new uspsa shooter)

wrx04

I get the impression from reading other posts that the SVI is perceived as a better quality pistol. My own experience is limited to two custom STIs built by Bedell Custom. They were both rock solid and phenomenally accurate. Was this because they were built using STI components or because Dan builds terrific guns? I really think it’s the latter. 

On 3/21/2019 at 7:29 PM, WeldBoy said:

SVI and STI's are both custom guns. is one better than other? or is it a Ford vs. Chevy deal?

Where is a good place to post trades(fire arms)?

Im not sure you can call an sti a custom gun at least not directly purchased from sti.  They are nice guns but not customs.  They are sort of hand built but not to a customers specifications but to the particular model specs they are building that day. Now an sti parts built or gun  modified & sold  by any number of the gunsmiths people talk about on here is closer to a custom gun. Perhaps the gunsmith works with you on what you want on or in the gun (bedell)or perhaps they just do things to a stock sti they think should be done then resell it (brazos)  Either way its still an sti.  I like sti, dont get me wrong, I have 2, but both have had things done to them.  Still neither is a custom gun.  Infinity is closer to a custom gun sort of like ordering a new car.  You pick options off a list & have svi build their gun with these options.   There is more handwork, more care & subjectively better parts put in svi guns than sti. 

A true custom gun has the builder working with the customer.  You work together deciding many of the options you want or need in this gun.  Hand size, trigger length & pull, recoil impulse, sight choices, weight, balance forward & rearward on gun, & of course appearance of gun.  

The difference between an off shelf sti & a true custom gun can be dramatic.  Problem is does a new shooter know what they need?  Not really.   Also will you truly utilize & appreciate the difference?  

Least custom to most:

Off shelf sti

Modified or tuned sti, dawson or brazos

Smith built gun using  some sti parts, bedell

Option chosen infinity off website

Smith built gun with svi parts, no builder name for certain here but heard limcat uses svi parts...not sure

Full custom built gun with each & every possibility( within that gunsmiths parameters) discussed & decided upon.  Atlas will do this along with akai I believe plus there are others.

There is no shortage of good gun builders that will build you a real custom gun.  Sti is about the least custom (still nice guns) on up the food chain.  

Ask yourself if the tools you work with to make a living matter to you...computer guys...is basic keyboard just fine & dandy or do you wish you could have 1 built to your liking?  Me I work with hand tools.  I like wood handle hammers.  Ive got 3 hammers Ive had for 30 years plus.  I put new handles in them the other day & I am still shaving & scraping adjusting them to fit me.  

If you can appreciate a tool(gun) built to your specs, shop  out a custom, if not, buy something less custom, less $$$$, less time & go on.  If you want to impress your friends then have someone do something nifty to it to make you feel its made for you personally...trigger job or fancy finish.. steel grips are big deal now. Then you can be all proud of your custom gun...hahaha.

If you shoot a glock or whatever you shoot( which I did for 17 years), could you close your eyes, have someone put a glock in your hands & still w your eyes closed know if this was your gun or not?  If not, dont waste your money on a full custom... if you know your gun by the feel by the weight by whatever makes it different & special to you, then a custom might be in your future.

Edited by mlmiller1

you will never be disappointed with SVI.  They are the best, last "forever" or at least it seems.  I have one that has over 32k rounds, and frame/slide fit is still great.  Still great.  You can find ( if you stay aware ) Infinity guns used, for sale.  If you are willing to spend up near $4,000 you will get a spectacular gun, without the 20 month wait. I have purchased many, and have never been disappointed.

Kris

I think the TSO, 1050, and supplies is a smart smart smart choice. It's not an Infinity, but it's a magnificent gun. I love my 9mm dearly. 

That said, my buddy just took delivery of his 5.4" SVI. It's everything they say it is. Awesome in every way and in every detail.

It cost more than my Limited Major rig and my entire 3Gun rig/guns combined! So it had better be good!

Man, I would pickup a used 2011 on the cheap (you can typically get your money back) that way you don't have to sell both of your blasters to fund this hobby.  If you are going to get serious then Training and ammo will drain your account soon enough.  But a decent 2011 should be good enough to help you test the waters.  Then you can see what you like and don't for your build.

• 4 weeks later...

Just buy a used STI, they are plentiful and not too expensive.  OR....  Shoot sstk for a year so you really appreciate a limited blaster.  lol...  Seriously, new guns break...  used guns break...  we beat the living hell out of them.  It will break...  save your money...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, NoKimberDave said:

I think the TSO, 1050, and supplies is a smart smart smart choice. It's not an Infinity, but it's a magnificent gun. I love my 9mm dearly. 

That said, my buddy just took delivery of his 5.4" SVI. It's everything they say it is. Awesome in every way and in every detail.

It cost more than my Limited Major rig and my entire 3Gun rig/guns combined! So it had better be good!

There is nothing wrong with having a lot of disposable income and taking pride in a lot of gunsmith showmanship. 

But, if you just care about match score, the TSO will take you all the way there. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

There is nothing wrong with having a lot of disposable income and taking pride in a lot of gunsmith showmanship. 

But, if you just care about match score, the TSO will take you all the way there. 

I was just about to say the same thing, there's nothing about a TSO which is going to hold you back.

17 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Precisely. Mine ain't holding me back!

And, even though there are certainly "nicer" guns, the TSO still comes with a lot of pride of ownership. At least for me anyway. It's a nice friggin gun!

I used a regular TS until I found a used 2011 with parts I changed out to work for me. I even found a .40 upper I used for a long time before I even looked for a 2011.

7 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

And, even though there are certainly "nicer" guns, the TSO still comes with a lot of pride of ownership.

Pride of ownership is a weird thing, "one mans trash is another mans treasure", "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance",  and all that stuff.

I think I've been ruined by a career in engineering, if I can get the performance at less cost then that turns my wheels the fastest. 

15 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Pride of ownership is a weird thing, "one mans trash is another mans treasure", "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance",  and all that stuff.

I think I've been ruined by a career in engineering, if I can get the performance at less cost then that turns my wheels the fastest. 

The richest man is not the man with the most,

It's the man thats happiest with the least!

SVIs are pricey. Also See SVIs get beat by STI Edge's an similar value. Thinking your going to commit doesn't sound like you have really made up your mind. Its a expensive road if you want to compete at a competitive level. proably better suited for a STI, Atlas, Cheely etc and a whole bunch of ammo.

Or I'll sell you a edge.

2 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

SVIs are pricey. Also See SVIs get beat by STI Edge's an similar value. Thinking your going to commit doesn't sound like you have really made up your mind. Its a expensive road if you want to compete at a competitive level. proably better suited for a STI, Atlas, Cheely etc and a whole bunch of ammo.

Or I'll sell you a edge.

This is reason I waited to find a used Brazos Edge

Guns are assets that depreciate at different rates.  Like exotic cars compared to a Honda.    

Resale value for an SVI is better than most, if not all competition guns available. Shoot one for a few years and then sell it. Your net cost will probably be a pleasant surprise

2 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Resale value for an SVI is better than most, if not all competition guns available. Shoot one for a few years and then sell it. Your net cost will probably be a pleasant surprise

Or not. I have two friends with SVI's that I shoot with regularly, one bought new and the other one bought a used one that was advertised here for a long time & sold for a bargain price. 

Both are very nice guns and perform well. 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Is Vogel still wining or top 3ing limited matches with a basically stock Glock? 

Gabe White is too. And I believe he IWBs a 22.

Edited by JAustin316