Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC 3 Gun vs. STI Marauder

nogaroheli

Hi all, I'm getting ready to jump into a 2011 pistol.  I've been shooting a stock XDm 9mm and although I don't think it's holding me back I'd like to get into a higher end/performance 9mm pistol.  I've been doing lots of research and keep hearing that I should jump past that middle ground of dumping lots of money into my current pistol or buying a "next step" pistol like a CZ and just go for a 2011.  It will primarily be used for 3 gun and occasionally some steel challenge.  

I don't have the coin for a full custom 2011 yet and that's been pushing me towards the different STI's.  Primarily I'm looking at the Marauder and the DVC 3 gun.  The marauder is around 2k new and seems well equipped for a 3 gun pistol, the price doesn't seem to come down much on used.  The DVC 3 Gun is $2800, drops quite a bit more for used, and the name sure makes me think it's the cats PJs for 3 gun.  Part of me digs the DVC because it looks great to me, the Marauder looks a lot like a normal 1911 which I have plenty of.  So is the price difference between the two justified?   Should I get over the look aspect and get the Marauder or wait it out until I find a nice used DVC?  Am I missing another whole aspect?

Thanks for the help y'all, I definitely appreciate your input.

The Marauder is an excellent gun. I've had one for two years now. I use it mostly for IDPA and occasional 3-Gun. No need for the DVC--unless you have the money and want to so spend it. The DVC will not outshoot the Marauder. The Marauder is my favorite STI gun (I have and Edge in .40 and had an Eagle). I've shot a few DVCs and would not trade my Marauder for one.

I’ve been looking at a Marauder for IDPA that or maybe a Hawk. I can’t really find anywhere that talks about the differences. Yes light rail vs full dust cover, Magwell vs non, and ambi safety vs single side....but can’t find out the rest of what is $500 more on the marauder 

7 minutes ago, Wrathen said:

I’ve been looking at a Marauder for IDPA that or maybe a Hawk. I can’t really find anywhere that talks about the differences. Yes light rail vs full dust cover, Magwell vs non, and ambi safety vs single side....but can’t find out the rest of what is $500 more on the marauder 

All of what you said plus adjustable vs fixed rear sight, Cerakote vs blued, and STI claims 3.5 vs 4.5 lb trigger.

15 hours ago, Woodsk said:

If I was in your position I would skip both guns and get an Brazos tuned Edge and end up with a better gun for less money

while i haven't hesitated to buy any box-stock STI's, i also have a brazos hp edge and that is a great call.  it's gone over by a professional 3rd party with any kinks fixed before you get it.  the edge doesn't have a rail though if that is important to you.  i don't think brazos offers their HP package on any other guns but perhaps that has changed.

Thanks for the insight here.  I'm digging into more options now.

-I hadn't heard of Warwick before- their stuff is nice!  

-The Brazos Edge seems almost perfect, but it doesn't have a rail!  I just imagine a scenario where I want to shoot a night match and have to go back to my Xdm to have a light, it seems like going back to well whiskey after sipping on a nice single malt.  If there was a Brazos Marauder that would be the ticket.  If I found a deal on a used one in 9mm I'd still do it I think.

At the moment I think I'm leaning towards the Marauder, followed by a Brazos Edge, DVC 3 gun/the rest of the options.  

Thanks again for your input!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, Moloch38 said:

Good choice. Try out the NERD Pistol Coffins, they are great for the DVCs and for 3 Gun.

Good to hear!  I have a NERD Pistol Coffin waiting to be used with it.  If I could just get back to shoot it all soon...

I have both the DVC 3gun and the Brazos HP.  Both are great but I perfer the DVC.  Has been perfect since I got it (so has the Brazos since it was broke in).  Might just be my personal pistols but the DVC recoils straight up while the Brazos recoils in an arc.  And the DVC has a slightly longer sight raduis -- which I think helps.  

I love my DVC limited 40.. but its going on the chopping block for something a bit more custom.. specifically atlas gunworks nemesis.

The DVC for the price is a fantastic gun, I have shot the 3G and know one guy that switched from an XD to the DVC 3G and he couldn't be happier.

Edited by dkamps
Words mean things, fixed words

On 5/22/2018 at 10:29 PM, dkamps said:

I love my DVC limited 40.. but its going on the chopping block for something a bit more custom.. specifically atlas gunworks nemesis.

The DVC for the price is a fantastic gun, I have shot the 3G and know one guy that switched from an XD to the DVC 3G and he couldn't be happier.

I started to dive down the Atlas rabbit hole and was really starting to consider the Titan.  Adam seems like a solid guy and I have yet to hear anything bad about his pistols!  I'm sure you'll love it! 

I'd like to make that upgrade someday, I need to work on improving myself long before that'll be beneficial. 

Edited by nogaroheli

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, dkamps said:

This is exactly what I did. You won't regret it. 

19 hours ago, nogaroheli said:

I started to dive down the Atlas rabbit hole and was really starting to consider the Titan.  Adam seems like a solid guy and I have yet to hear anything bad about his pistols!  I'm sure you'll love it! 

I'd like to make that upgrade someday, I need to work on improving myself long before that'll be beneficial. 

Is it a funds issue?

Do you have a gun that you like and can run until you can spring for the atlas/akai/CK etc? (sound like that's the XD)

Do you want the DVC because it is cheaper and you can get it now, or because its truly what you want?

Is a higher end 2011 than the DVC an eventuality or will you be stopping at the DVC?

Sounds like the DVC is an intermittent want, but you truly want something in the atlas/akai/ck offerings. I did the same thing, which is why I got the DVC, I wanted a 2011 but couldn't spring for the atlas at the time. Is the DVC limiting my shooting ability compared to a higher end gun, no, absolutely not.. but does that really matter?

Ended up shooting it a bit, realizing I wanted something more, so I still shoot my glock 34 to save wear and tear for resale... But I came to the conclusion that I can consolidate my pistols into one gun that does everything and can take the abuse. I'll just load minor 40 for 3 gun instead of 9 and use the same pistol for 3G and Limited.

I wish I could go back and just buy what I actually wanted, instead of playing the upgrade game, it would have saved time and effort.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had both and don't believe the DVC is worth the extra money.  The Marauder is a very capable gun and the DVC 3 gun looks sexier, but doesn't shoot much better.  As others have said the price of the DVC 3 Gun is getting into the custom 2011 range. 

I have a similar "problem".. I made the very bad mistake of shooting a friend's DVC 3Gun a couple of weeks ago after a steel challenge match and fell in love.  Since we ended on Smoke & Hope, I ran that stage from low ready just to see how it felt, and 4 runs were under 3 seconds (2.78 - 2.90).  For comparison sake, my times that day with my RFPO gun were 2.67 - 3.05.  Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to grab the 3Gun or go full retard and get an Open :)

I have a DVC 3Gun and love it.  Shooting limited minor is bummer (sort of) and it doesn't fit in the IDPA box.  I'm considering the new 'island barrel' DVC limited in 40 to break into major.  Looked into a Marauder for IDPA and heard it's no longer being made.  Was that just rumor or does anyone know if that's a fact?  I also hear the Hawk 5.0 is a really good ESP gun.

• 4 weeks later...