Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

Took a little while to shake the rust off but got it back pretty quickly today. That’s another 250 malfunction-free rounds down the pipe for RS320B bringing the tally up to ~1,500. The only thing that’s left to do is to shoot and train with it until it falls apart.

My brother got to shoot his M18 with the dot for the first time today as well, and it can safely be said he’s now officially a convert to the church of pistol RDS. He also found out exactly how much it sucks to shoot .357Mag out of a S&W 340PD...

2B38C6CA-A169-40E1-86B1-B699671957DA.jpeg

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with my gunsmith, sounds like a slight delay with other customers will mean the EVO320 will need another week to be finished, but he stated it was at the top of his queue to work on. He expects to have it finished by the 10th. Updates and more as I get them!

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Got another call from my gunsmith today, unfortunately they said more delays have pushed back completing the work on my gun a bit longer. Hopefully it gets sorted out and I have some significantly more interesting/exciting updates to share soon, but for now I’m back to dryfiring RS320B and doing my best to wait patiently...

I’ve spent most of last night and this morning disassembling, inspecting, dryfiring, and generally manipulating the EVO320 and I must say I’m just absolutely tickled at how well this experiment seems to have worked. The installation by my gunsmith is absolutely flawless. The reticle on the 508T is extremely easy to acquire and the gun points perfectly naturally. It only took about a dozen draws to get the dot to fall exactly on my point of aim. There’s still a bit more to do parts-wise to complete the build, but it’s finally in operable shape to take to the range and blast as many rounds down the pipe as possible!

3C76ACB9-DAA4-45FD-92A3-2A5514990530.jpeg

7AFA069C-1E59-4CEF-B2D5-BD9BFEF804A8.jpeg

13D37A13-2DF1-421A-9F94-5C30B088A9D8.jpeg

20 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Looks like the scope mount could use longer screws.  

I followed the suggestion of my gunsmith regarding the screws, he made the decision based on his prior experience installing optic mounts to 1911/2011 and various other handgun platforms. I’ll be thoroughly testing it either way, if the hardware becomes an issue I’ll make sure to have it addressed

Well, back from the range with some good and some bad. I put the first 250 rounds through the EVO320 and it’s clear it’s going to have a break-in period. Started out fairly rough with quite a few ejection failures and an erratic ejection pattern when the pistol did cycle successfully. The FTEs started to clear up towards the end, though the ejection pattern remained unpredictable throughout. That ejection issue can be seen in the following video (apologies for the poor quality, the resolution got compressed to s#!t when it was sent from my friend’s phone):

Once the pistol started operating a bit more reliably I was able to assess the shooting feel a bit better, and as expected the recoil profile is MUCH softer and smoother than even the RS320 which I brought for comparison. Shooting the same 9mm NATO rounds through both guns, the difference in recoil between the two would be like the difference between 9mm standard pressure and 9mm +P+. I’m sure this is due to the additional weight from the metal frame and moving the optic from reciprocating weight to non-reciprocating weight. It’s also much, much, MUCH easier to keep track of the dot with it not shooting back and forth with each cycle of the slide.

It’s likely to need a couple hundred more rounds through it before it’s completely broken in and running smoothly, but my initial shooting impression is extremely positive. I’ll be keeping an eye on the ejection pattern as well to make sure it normalizes with a higher round count

08C575B5-ACB8-4F36-AAB0-C2FCAA5FEAA6.jpeg

Sounds like I’ll have another opportunity to go to the range on Monday with my brother, potentially to an outdoor range up in the mountains. More rounds will be fed through the EVO320 soon either way

Another day at the range, another 250 rounds through the EVO320, this time with absolutely zero malfunctions or hiccups. The ejection pattern normalized as well and it now kicks casings out with authority in the right direction:

An excellent showing by the pistol and a great day overall...Until I got home. I sat down to wipe the gun down and inspect everything, and when I took the Killer Innovations compensator off it spontaneously disassembled itself. After inspecting it the best I can figure is that a set screw meant to hold the ratchet assembly together came out at some point (not sure when, it wasn’t anywhere on the floor around my workspace nor in my pistol case) and it now won’t go back together. I’ve reached out to Killer Innovations about the issue to try to get an answer, but this incident has me slightly concerned that their compensator may be too complex of a component with too many potential failure points to have on a gun I fully intend to utilize in a defensive role. Particularly as compared to the completely problem-free experience I’ve had twice over with the Bar-Sto barrels and Springer Precision compensators on both the RS320s...

E38B25A3-B24D-437E-872B-6DFB5E6A5D2C.jpeg

B452BBC6-52DD-4C77-AD3E-F11494BD8BA0.jpeg

I ordered up another couple components to try out while I had my debit card handy. Going forward the undercurrent theme of the EVO320 build is going to be a resounding “Because f*#k Recoil”, with a few experiments directed to that end.

Of course yet again the hardest part of building a project gun is the excruciating wait on parts being shipped and arriving...

On 7/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Another day at the range, another 250 rounds through the EVO320, this time with absolutely zero malfunctions or hiccups. The ejection pattern normalized as well and it now kicks casings out with authority in the right direction:

What range is this video shot at?

17 minutes ago, NateTheSkate said:

You drive all the way to Summit County to shoot? Is the range up there that good?

Not usually or often, no. My dad used to take my brother and I there during summer family trips, and my brother and I decided to go back up since we hadn’t gone in a long time. It’s nice enough, outdoor with 50 yard pistol/100 yard rifle/shotgun bays and it’s self-policing (and free for a bonus)

1 minute ago, Rudukai13 said:

Not usually or often, no. My dad used to take my brother and I there during summer family trips, and my brother and I decided to go back up since we hadn’t gone in a long time. It’s nice enough, outdoor with 50 yard pistol/100 yard rifle/shotgun bays and it’s self-policing (and free for a bonus)

Plus, Summit County is nice this time of year. Well, it's nice pretty much all year! Crowded maybe.

I'll have to stop by and try the range next time I'm up there.

26 minutes ago, NateTheSkate said:

Plus, Summit County is nice this time of year. Well, it's nice pretty much all year! Crowded maybe.

I'll have to stop by and try the range next time I'm up there.

It’s very nice this time of year, makes for an excellent day trip from the Denver metro area! I will say if at all possible try to go to the range during the week between 9am and 5pm. It’s free and self-policing which are nice, but that means during the evenings and weekends it can get a bit crowded with people who don’t always know what they’re doing and there aren’t any paid employees to set them straight...

I’m starting to think the P320 is basically just a striker-fired 2011...STI/Staccato 2011 Tactical magwell fits the Icarus Precision grip module perfectly. It’ll need some epoxy, a couple set screws, and some blending on the inside funnel of the grip module to smooth out the transition point, but it’ll work!

F09A01A4-AF1D-4D44-93F8-921CE5CA3BF2.jpeg

7F5F545F-692B-4146-B701-076CB964E28A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

I’m starting to think the P320 is basically just a striker-fired 2011...STI/Staccato 2011 Tactical magwell fits the Icarus Precision grip module perfectly. It’ll need some epoxy, a couple set screws, and some blending on the inside funnel of the grip module to smooth out the transition point, but it’ll work!

F09A01A4-AF1D-4D44-93F8-921CE5CA3BF2.jpeg

Your definition of "fits perfectly" must be a lot different from my own.... In any event, you can probably make that work.

Do magazine wells for the P320 not fit??

28 minutes ago, NateTheSkate said:

Your definition of "fits perfectly" must be a lot different from my own.... In any event, you can probably make that work.

Do magazine wells for the P320 not fit??

It’ll need some blending on the interior transition, but it fits around the outer dimensions of the Icarus Precision grip module without any trouble. No P320 magwells that I know of would fit this X-Carry ACE320 grip without much more significant work.

I contacted Springer Precision though and they can install one of their P320 magwells on the IP Tactical Carry/M17 ACE320 aluminum grip module the same way they fit it to the OEM polymer grip modules, like on both of the RS320s. When I build a second EVO320, I’ll likely go with one of the Tactical Carry modules (or hopefully by then a Compact version if IP develops one) over another X-Carry ACE320 module:

If IP comes out with a Compact version of their Tactical ACE320, both of the RS320s will probably get a heavy metal upgrade as well

Another piece of the puzzle trickled in today. This will be another experiment for the EVO320 test bed. This is the DPM Systems “recoil reducing” tunable recoil system for the P320 (Because f*#k Recoil). It includes three different rate springs that can be selected for your specific setup and ammo. Some experimentation will be necessary to determine which spring provides the best results with NATO/+P ammo running through the Springer compensator, but in just installing it into the gun and racking the slide a bit it does (subjectively) feel smoother already. We’ll see how that translates into shooting feel once I get the Bar-Sto barrel and SP comp

0C2666AB-863C-4B8A-99E0-3AE3F8D08C86.jpeg