Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

14 minutes ago, WhiteDingo said:

I'm curious if their grip texture is actually effective at all; I feel like there's a ton of alternatives that would be significantly more grip than the small dimples with lots of space between. Definitely curious to see what you think

I’ll certainly be covering the grip texture in a comparison with a stock X-Carry polymer module once I get the ACE320 grip. I ordered the one that comes with their texture, but they also sell one with a blank grip that would allow the end user to machine whatever custom grip texture they prefer;

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/ace-320-blanks

It’s a little less expensive than the one that comes textured as well

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA! After a couple years of letting him shoot my guns at the range and subtly lobbying him to buy a P320, my brother broke down and bought a M18 to replace his FNX9 tonight - and a R1P to go with it! My favorite pastime continues!

Edited by Rudukai13

According to tracking the ACE320 grip module should be delivered sometime today!

As a side note, on the request of a member on another forum today I tried a couple different magazine configurations. If anyone else is curious, using an OEM Sig 15-round tube with a +5 extension and Grams Engineering 11-coil spring and follower will result in a 21-round capacity magazine in a nice, relatively compact package that functions just as well as the 23- and 27-round mags I use regularly

Alright, here we go! Initial impressions on the ACE320 grip module:

The module is very well made and finished with no visible machine marks on the outer surfaces. The weight compared to the stock X-Carry grip module is immediately noticeable, it feels like it weighs about the same as an X-Carry grip + a full magazine.

The tolerances are quite tight but not unreasonably - It takes a bit more effort to get the FCU fully seated and the takedown lever is tighter to insert and manipulate. Everything installs in a very reassuringly sturdy manner.

When holding the grip, a few things become immediately apparent. The texture is grippy enough, but unfortunately no more so than the standard polymer grip module (it’s certainly no 2011 micropocket grip texture). If you’re looking at using this grip module for a competition pistol and want maximum grippyness, I’d recommend buying the Blank version that comes with a completely smooth grip and allows you to either machine or laser-engrave your own texture, or provides for a perfect blank surface to apply grip tape or silicone carbide. The rear beavertail area is slightly thinner on the ACE320 grip than the X-Carry, but not as much as I’d personally prefer. Those with larger hands who like the bulk of Sig’s X-Five and X-Carry grips over the standard grip modules will still appreciate the profile of the ACE320.

Magazines are a tiny bit sticky going in and out of the grip, which I imagine is at least partially due to the cerakote finish and should improve with use (same thing happened with my Black Multicam cerakoted X-Carry grip when it was new). That said, all of my magazines seat easily, drop free even when empty, and lock the slide open on empty as they should.

Some quick things I like;

- Quality, tolerances, fit/finish, and function are all on point. Everything fits and works as it should in my preliminary manipulations.

- Ergonomics marginally improved over the Sig X-Carry grip.

- Extra weight. Gives the pistol an overall more substantial and high-quality feeling in the hand, and will help to absorb recoil when shooting.

- More specific to my purposes, but the dustcover area seems to be more than substantial enough and within proper dimensions for installing an optic mount for a non-reciprocating red dot.

Some things I don’t like or wish they would have included (much of this is subjective);

- Carry proportions. Every aftermarket company producing or developing a grip module for the platform seems to think the Carry variant is the only one on the market. Hopefully true Fullsize and Compact variants will be in development at some point in the future.

- Ergonomics could be further improved over the X-Carry with an even thinner beavertail area, better grip texture, etc.

- No provision for mounting Sig’s X-Series magwell. I’m not sure why this wasn’t included, one of their earlier prototypes did include this feature and considering it’s as easy as machining two small slots and a screw hole in the bottom of the grip module, it’d be an easy added value.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with this as a first iteration. I’m very excited to see what Icarus Precision does with future improvements as they receive more customer feedback. I should have time to get shooting impressions very soon and will make sure to update everyone further with more use.

If anyone has any specific questions or requests for pictures that aren’t covered here, feel free to post a request and I’ll do what I can to satisfy your curiosity!

7DD7F155-A7E9-4898-AA5A-0BE3D9A63701.jpeg

C3BCB03B-136F-4C0F-9051-CC9FF3772652.jpeg

8A6B249B-440F-4F69-84E5-74EF1B0FFDCD.jpeg

4D78FDDA-B8EE-45F0-AC2A-260260FA81C5.jpeg

7DDFC57D-53EF-4D5E-8F64-5D8C831A04B4.jpeg

37E0BEB2-DBF4-4AC8-BA7D-51955B4EC1B2.jpeg

After spending a while watching tv last night and inserting/ejecting an empty mag in the ACE320 module, whatever initial stickiness that was there at first is no longer present. I believe there was just a bit too much friction between the magazine and the grip due to the cerakote, but after a few dozen cycles of inserting and ejecting the magazine those friction points have smoothed out and not only do the magazines drop free, they pop out with authority as with a standard polymer grip module

A head-to-head shooting comparison of RS320B and the modified EVO-RS320 will be happening this week. I’m interested to see how the Icarus Precision grip changes the shooting experience on similar setups...

23674D67-E287-4554-B742-2095853E87A9.jpeg

Very interesting.

Maybe this was stated and I missed it: How does the weight compare to a regular Xcarry grip?

Do you know if the X grip tungsten plug will fit?

Thanks!

Edited by ddc

11 hours ago, ddc said:

Very interesting.

Maybe this was stated and I missed it: How does the weight compare to a regular Xcarry grip?

Do you know if the X grip tungsten plug will fit?

Thanks!

It’s exactly twice as heavy as the polymer X-Carry grip module; 4oz vs 8oz. Might not sound like much, but the weight difference and overall balance of the gun is immediately noticeable in the hand. I quite like where it adds weight to the overall pistol.

The grip weight will not fit, as there’s no channel milled for it inside the mag funnel

Edited by Rudukai13

I became a proud P320 uncle today when my brother picked up his new M18! He’s already got a Romeo1Pro, X300U, Phlster Floodlight IWB/OWB holsters, and Phlster Arc switches on the way for it at my recommendation. He’s pretty happy with it so far - We’ll be going for some family range time soon once he gets all the extras delivered and installed. It’s a pretty nice gun, I’m already thinking about what I’d do to one if I purchased one for myself...

1CE1861B-60A2-488F-A831-E2BC0D3A8D99.jpeg

15 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

My brother got in most of the extras he purchased for his M18, just waiting on Optics Planet for the R1P and he’ll be all set;

4DCD1331-C39A-4437-B3DB-FC916CEF7FCD.jpeg

How do you like the PHLSTER Floodlight holsters?  Looks like a X300U-B, any particular reason you chose that over a X300U-A?

47 minutes ago, HIREDgun45 said:

How do you like the PHLSTER Floodlight holsters?  Looks like a X300U-B, any particular reason you chose that over a X300U-A?

I don’t have any direct personal experience with them yet, but my brother’s first impressions are good. I’ll get a chance to put my hands on them soon and can give further thoughts at that time.

It is the B model, I recommended that one to him based on my experience with the A model X300U on my P320s. No matter what I tried with the A model there was always some play in the light on the rail, but the B model with the Picatinny crossbar piece is rock solid with no movement at all

Ruduka13,  I enjoy and appreciate your posts on the 320.  I have two 320 RXs and would like to have better grip modules.

My concern however is that by changing from the oem module it is possible to over insert mags which can bend the ejector up.

Is there a mag base combo that will seat on the bottom of the ACE module preventing over insertion?

I would like to be able to do forceful slide lock reloads without being concerned about over insertion.

Thanks

Edited by faith
Spelling

5 hours ago, faith said:

Ruduka13,  I enjoy and appreciate your posts on the 320.  I have two 320 RXs and would like to have better grip modules.

My concern however is that by changing from the oem module it is possible to over insert mags which can bend the ejector up.

Is there a mag base combo that will seat on the bottom of the ACE module preventing over insertion?

I would like to be able to do forceful slide lock reloads without being concerned about over insertion.

Thanks

I believe any 17- or 21-round magazine with the OEM basepad will be your best bet in regard to stopping over-insertion of the magazines on the ACE320 grip module.

I will say though, I’ve used extended magazines on both RS320s for a couple years at least, with nothing to prevent over-insertion but the magazine catch and ejector. I’m certainly not gentle when performing magazine changes, and there’s absolutely no evidence of damage or deflection of the ejectors in either RS320. In all my reading and research on the platform as well I‘ve never heard of a single bent ejector caused by repeated forceful mag changes. It’s anecdotal so take it with however many grains of salt you feel comfortable with, but I believe any concern over damaging the ejector due to forceful magazine insertions may be misplaced as far as the P320 is concerned.

Hopefully that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of consideration and studying what’s currently available on the market, I’ve decided to go a slightly different direction with the barrel and comp setup on the EVO320 project. Movement on that should be happening in the next week - More soon...

The EVO320 is comped, thanks to a new threaded barrel and compensator from Killer Innovations. Let’s get this out of the way - aesthetically the compensator will be...Polarizing at best. I didn’t particularly like the visual design much when I ordered it myself.

What I did like was the unique construction that allows for tool-less disassembly and re-installation (after initial setup) that will allow me to completely remove the barrel from the slide for cleaning. The permanent comps on the RS320s don’t make cleaning a nightmare, but it’s certainly a bit more of a hassle. Having a compensator that I can take off and put back on without tools, that doesn’t have to be timed or loctited each time was worth the questionable aesthetics to me (my general rule of thumb is “function over form, but form where possible”).

That said, after getting the comp and barrel installed and mocking up the optic mount to finally see the overall picture, the intricate compensator combined with the machined grip module and frame-mounted optic is giving the EVO320 a bit of a cyberpunk vibe in the aesthetics department - and I must admit, I kind of like that;

3C7D4A38-6F72-4BB2-B7F5-710934272A59.jpeg

1F6B7C6A-D262-4FC6-A7B3-897776CB2A37.jpeg