Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, now that I’ve had a bit more time to handle the new grip module I’ve got some more thoughts. For the purposes of this discussion the main focus will be on the actual grip and beavertail portions of the module, as from the trigger guard forward they’re functionally identical. The first thing I noticed is that the grip texture on the new Tactical Carry module is VASTLY improved over the (non)texture of the X-Carry version. It’s grippier in my hand that even the OEM polymer grip, even without a magwell. Safe to say that for my hands at least, IP nailed the ergonomics. In that vein, the thinner beavertail of the Tactical Carry module is much better than the X-Carry as well. It’s narrow, fits the hand more naturally, and most importantly there’s no sharp ledge that digs into my thumb when I grip the gun. This is similar to my experiments and preferences between the OEM polymer standard and X-Series modules. I should mention that Fullsize magazines with TTI extensions do not currently fit the Tactical Carry module due to the shape of the bottom of the grip, which is similar to the OEM polymer modules. Once I send it to Springer Precision for their ESP magwell though, that won’t be a problem. And the additional grip security afforded by the magwell in combination with the excellent grip texture will make sure these guns stick to my hands like glue

1BEAAC4D-2B8E-4D9E-ADDE-5E287E8F0DA8.jpeg

9AC4EB87-7128-47D7-8EBE-06807DBF67E7.jpeg

35AFB37A-696E-4E7C-B032-11326B8F4429.jpeg

9C967830-385F-4AC6-8ADF-4FBD08E43DCB.jpeg

6D96C17C-FE13-4307-A686-AA76536ECCE9.jpeg

9E7FEDC9-D66F-47AF-9305-1C8C6E4E03D0.jpeg

Based on their web store and Instagram posts, it appears Icarus is phasing out the original X-Carry module and all of the P320 modules they’re offering going forward favor the thinner, better grip texture Tactical Carry style - Which in my opinion is a good move. Their newly released competition module looks like it has an even more aggressive grip texture that extends 360 degrees around the grip as well as down the integrated magwell:

185695_873ced7528ef4bbfbdd6b39d479ef9ba~

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition

I just can’t get over how good the RS320 feels with the Tactical Carry grip module. Here’s my revised list of steps for finishing out the current projects, in order:

1. Acquire two more Icarus TC grip modules (ODG for RS320B, Sniper Gray for EVO320)

2. Send all three TC grip modules to Springer for fitting and installation of ESP magwells

3. With the RS320s completed once I get their magwell modules back from Springer, take the third module to my gunsmith for drilling/tapping of the dustcover, re-installation of the optic mount, and installation of the Apex trigger kit

4. All current projects complete, acquire another FCU and move on to whatever ridiculous idea I come up with next...

89A5CB41-7B2A-4E00-960A-7325B933791B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, Rudukai13 said:

Based on their web store and Instagram posts, it appears Icarus is phasing out the original X-Carry module and all of the P320 modules they’re offering going forward favor the thinner, better grip texture Tactical Carry style - Which in my opinion is a good move. Their newly released competition module looks like it has an even more aggressive grip texture that extends 360 degrees around the grip as well as down the integrated magwell:

185695_873ced7528ef4bbfbdd6b39d479ef9ba~

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/a-c-e-320-pro-competition

I wonder if that's CO legal its like half a magwell..

5 hours ago, Lowsc3 said:

I wonder if that's CO legal its like half a magwell..

I doubt it would be considered legal for CO considering the magwell. That aside, I’m not sure if USPSA has ruled on whether or not a P320 grip module counts as “swappable grip panels” for the purposes of competition modifications

6 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

I doubt it would be considered legal for CO considering the magwell. That aside, I’m not sure if USPSA has ruled on whether or not a P320 grip module counts as “swappable grip panels” for the purposes of competition modifications

I guess it would only work for limited minor then,  it would be nice if they made that competition one without the magwell and made it so you can add a magwell of choice . 

1 hour ago, Lowsc3 said:

I guess it would only work for limited minor then,  it would be nice if they made that competition one without the magwell and made it so you can add a magwell of choice . 

I agree. I would like a grip where you could use 2011 Magwells. That way you could choose weight and size. 

14 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

I agree. I would like a grip where you could use 2011 Magwells. That way you could choose weight and size. 

You could still send that grip module to Springer Precision for installation of any of their P320 magwells. They’d be able to cut off the integrated flare and graft a new magwell to the bottom of the module - or just remove the magwell portion entirely which might make it closer to Production/CO legal. All three of my Tactical Carry modules are going to Springer for installation of their ESP magwell once I get them

On 9/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, Rudukai13 said:

You could still send that grip module to Springer Precision for installation of any of their P320 magwells. They’d be able to cut off the integrated flare and graft a new magwell to the bottom of the module - or just remove the magwell portion entirely which might make it closer to Production/CO legal. All three of my Tactical Carry modules are going to Springer for installation of their ESP magwell once I get them

True but why make a competition model grip  that is a illegal to run in CO when this is the most popular CO gun now. Id hate to dish out that much money to then have to dish out more to make it legal for the division. It does looks sweet tho.

53 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

True but why make a competition model grip  that is a illegal to run in CO when this is the most popular CO gun now. Id hate to dish out that much money to then have to dish out more to make it legal for the division. It does looks sweet tho.

The problem unfortunately is that the designers don’t fully understand the division rules for competitions

Some days one delivery makes up for all the junk mail that gets jammed into the box every year. Black, ODG, and Sniper Gray all accounted for. I was a bit worried the ODG would be too vibrant for my tastes but it matches the OEM ODG polymer grip module very well. Next step is to send these off to Springer Precision to get magwell’d up. But first I’m gonna fondle them a bit more...

B1D2C5A6-1E8D-4EB1-B19D-12B9F5206002.jpeg

40188821-1694-4A8F-9FB2-231BFE8C9C3E.jpeg

C3B838BC-89A6-4A6E-A37E-0A573AE63A06.jpeg

4C2F3E64-8B33-4236-8B2B-16287884836F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 8:27 PM, Lowsc3 said:

They’re probably made to cater to the poseur club members who build their guns more for looks than shooting it in competition.

31 minutes ago, George16 said:

They’re probably made to cater to the poseur club members who build their guns more for looks than shooting it in competition.

I don’t see a problem with building guns just for the fun of it, provided it’s done safely. Let people spend their money however they want, doesn’t hurt me

38 minutes ago, George16 said:

Sounds like your feelings got hurt 😢.

That would be difficult considering I didn’t realize your comment was directed at me, but I guess since it apparently was - I’m perfectly happy with how I build and use my guns. Thanks for commenting 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the range and I’m extremely pleased to report...Well:

image.jpeg.b8d83cba67c6ff38de8ae1367ac3baeb.jpeg

This comp and spring make the gun shoot so flat and soft with 9mm NATO it approaches dedicated USPSA Open gun territory, and it ran 100% reliably with no malfunctions to speak of. I’m incredibly pleased with the performance of the top end, and now I’m even more excited to get the Icarus TC grip module back and get it all transferred over to that for the superior ergonomics

607336C4-C7E5-4CA6-83B2-F8DDF0D374F6.jpeg