Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 223 for 3-gun? Worth the time?

Miggz55

I just delved into reloading 223, and man is the case prep a PITA... wondering if the professional shooters out there prefer to load their own 223, or buy factory Ammo instead?

Maybe a balance of both is best? I.e. bulk 223 for short range targets and precise hand loads for distance targets?

Looking for advice as to where I should invest my time and money. I do enjoy reloading as a hobby, but at current market prices, there is not a ton of cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on your component  costs. Buying in bulk and finding a cheap brass source keeps a gap between hand loaded and factory or reman hoser ammo. There will still be a large gap between hand loads and purchased match type ammo. 

Not worth it in my opinion.   I buy my 55 grain and receive 77 grain through my sponsorship, but for those few people I know that do reload for 3-gun, many times they stick to long range ammo only because the cost-savings are a little greater and making 1/2 MOA ammo for long-range actually has benefits in the match.  2 MOA burner ammo works fine for me.

Everyone's finances are different, but unless you are super strapped for cash, my advice is to just buy the ammo.

Long range ammo you need to reload to get all the accuracy you can from your gun.  I went through lots of ammo trying something my rifle liked.  Never did.

For hoser, I do reload some of the ammo nice and light.  I keep the velocity down around 2700 fps for paper under 200 yards.  Super low recoil (even less than factory ammo) and plenty accurate.

But if I don't have time to reload, under 200 yards PMC Gold runs good for me.

I reload heavy match bullets for less than I can buy PMC Bronze.  I am using Hornady match bullets if I switched to Sierra that would not be true.  They are markedly more precise and carry way more energy to long range flashers.  It's worth it to me.

Thanks for the reply guys... for those that are reloading hoser and long range, any recipes you’d suggest?

I have an 18in Balistic Advantage 223 wylde fluted Barrel. I started loading with CFE 223 at 25gr with Berry’s 55gr bullets. Have set up a ladder test at 25, 25.3 and 25.6 but have yet to chrono them.

If you have that propellant, I have had good luck with CFE 223 and 75 gr HPBT at 25.0 gr and CCI 400 .  Velocity is 2600ish depending on temp out of an 18.  It's accurate at lower charges just to slow.  I got below 1/2 MOA on my best days with that load, accurate in numerous rifles.

If you have that propellant, I have had good luck with CFE 223 and 75 gr HPBT at 25.0 gr and CCI 400 .  Velocity is 2600ish depending on temp out of an 18.  It's accurate at lower charges just to slow.  I got below 1/2 MOA on my best days with that load, accurate in numerous rifles.

Thank you! I’m off to order some 75gr pills. What COAL?

It depends on if you have the time or desire to reload the cheaper 55gr pills.

I buy components in bulk and I'm around $180/k that are more accurate than factory.  Ranges around me don't go past 200 yards.

CCI 450 Primers, Ramshot TAC and 55gr Hornady

If I had to buy brass I wouldn't bother but I get a ton of 1x fired brass for free, just have to do the brass prep.  I've got enough brass now that if I can't tell it's 1x it goes into the scrap bucket.  I do keep my own multi fired that I pick up from practice and load work ups for more practice ammo.

Edited by JohnnyD

I gave up reloading all together. It's just not worth my time. Wolf Gold for up close stuff. 

I went through a few different options until I found a 77grn off the shelf round that works well in my rifle. 

I do not reload .223.  I can buy in bulk for as little as .24 per round and sell the brass.  (PMC bronze).  By the time i sell the brass there is no way it is worth my time to reload .223. Use that time reloading pistol and make a lot of bullets!

For long range I load 77 gr Nosler CC JHP over IMR 8208 xbr powder.  I did a lot of experimenting with different powders until I settled down on this one.

For hoser ammo I like 50 gr Nosler SP.  Initially I loaded up any powder i had on the shelf just to use it up.  For close targets, powder selection  just didn't matter.  Now that I've thinned down the powder I also use IMR 8208 xbr for these rounds too.

9 minutes ago, Jmoreno88 said:

I reload all of em, but I only do case prep every 3rd load or unknown brass

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What do you include in case prep? I've only ever had to trim a piece of brass once, after that I've never needed to.

What do you include in case prep? I've only ever had to trim a piece of brass once, after that I've never needed to.

I trim the brass down to 1.74 and swage it. After that I run them through an RCBS X die to minimize stretch everything after that so I essentially load it the same as pistol. Size/decap, primer, powder, seat all in just one run. I usually get 7 to 10 loads on a case but need to trim after the 3rd to 5th time. My 3gun AR chokes once the neck gets too long

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have always reloaded pistol ammo, but for many years I stuck with factory rifle ammo due to the hassle of case prep. However, in the aftermath of the 2008 election, when the factory ammo supply became very unreliable, I was able to keep shooting 3-Gun at the same pace by adding .223 to my reloading repertoire. I am a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy so I set up a dedicated case prep toolhead (dies, trimmer etc.) for my Dillon 650, and now prepping the brass in not a big deal at all.

Right now I can reload 55gr short-range ammo for around $180/k using good quality components (Hornady FMJ). This is significantly less expensive that any factory ammo (even Wolf, which is crap), yet still shoots very well. The ability to load my own heavy bullet long-range loads is the icing on the cake.

As my current setup makes reloading relatively painless, and I have a sizable inventory of reloading components, I guess I will continue to do so until the math changes.

I run an adjustable gas block in my 3gun rifles. Reloading allows me to cater my loads to my rifle, so for me it's worth it.

Same, as I would think Is true for most...

I have always reloaded pistol ammo, but for many years I stuck with factory rifle ammo due to the hassle of case prep. However, in the aftermath of the 2008 election, when the factory ammo supply became very unreliable, I was able to keep shooting 3-Gun at the same pace by adding .223 to my reloading repertoire. I am a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy so I set up a dedicated case prep toolhead (dies, trimmer etc.) for my Dillon 650, and now prepping the brass in not a big deal at all.

Right now I can reload 55gr short-range ammo for around $180/k using good quality components (Hornady FMJ). This is significantly less expensive that any factory ammo (even Wolf, which is crap), yet still shoots very well. The ability to load my own heavy bullet long-range loads is the icing on the cake.

As my current setup makes reloading relatively painless, and I have a sizable inventory of reloading components, I guess I will continue to do so until the math changes.

I’m the same way. Although I’m using a Hornady LnL press, I picked up the Frankford Arsenal case prep station with seems to be a one stop shop for prep work. The only downside is the ream vs swage debate. Wondering if I should add a swage tool rather than ream the primer pockets...