Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS Grip Modification

robert.a.brewer.

Has anyone, frustrated with the ineffective waffle checkering, tried to increase the grippiness?

I bought some Talon tape for the front and back straps, but reconsidered.

I bought some coarse grit silicon carbide and a two-part epoxy.

Now I am wondering if I should Dremel off all, or some of the waffle checkering, or just put the epoxy on top of the original surface.

Anyone with this experience?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I did.

post-54411-0-17364800-1462828454_thumb.jpgpost-54411-0-08791000-1462828443_thumb.jpg

I used a vertical belt sander to remove the checkering and deepen the beavertail area and undercut the trigger.  If I were doing it again, I'd go deeper in the beavertail area.  I polished with 1000 grit paper, had it Cerakoted, then put strips of Alchin clear grip tape on the front and back straps.  LOK thin Boggies replaced the CZC Al grips.  Now the gun will not move in your hand even with very sweaty palms.

1 hour ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Yigal,

Do mean put the grip tape also on the grip panels, or just put grip tape on the front and back straps?

i have tso. it has full checkering on front and back,  so i put grip tape only on the panels.

on other tso i have  ergonomic wood grips  and  i made cut on them for grip tape in few places.

Edited by yigal

i have tso. it has full checkering on front and back,  so i put grip tape only on the panels.
on other tso i have  ergonomic wood grips  and  i made cut on them for grip tape in few places.
Ok. What type ergo wood grips do you have?

I have seen some nice Nill-Griffe wood panels. I do not know if Nill-Griffe makes grips for CZ TS.

If you have big hands like me, leave the checkering. Just clean the frame with rubbing alcohol and put the grip tape on so that it goes under the grips. I lightly sanded the stock wood grips and added grip tape there as well.
After a while I removed the grip tape from the backstrap. I found that I could get a more consistent grip on the draw without it there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Ok. What type ergo wood grips do you have?

I have seen some nice Nill-Griffe wood panels. I do not know if Nill-Griffe makes grips for CZ TS.

i build  them  myself for all guns that i  had.

APW offers some pretty amazing laser sabertooth cuts:

21752973_1329800303796448_4409441402658047524_o.thumb.jpg.6e116558717e6f928c76c263e9e98e25.jpg

http://www.apwcogan.com

Front and back of the grip will run $350
Those laser cuts look awesome. I would really like to have that sabertooth done sometime.

It looks both sophisticated and tactical to me. Does it add a nice level of grippiness?

1 hour ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Those laser cuts look awesome. I would really like to have that sabertooth done sometime.

It looks both sophisticated and tactical to me. Does it add a nice level of grippiness?

I've never held one, just drooled over pictures :wub:. I chose to hack up my grip to lose weight and add grip, my goal was a TS based Open gun seven ounces lighter than my Czechmate:

597ae93d3fe56_TSCM2.thumb.jpg.71acf4a82c9f7d2275e74fbeaf05f0c8.jpg597ae9b9032e3_TSCM.thumb.jpg.71e9a49a5cd04b74c2201a2292211b54.jpg

I've removed the waffle checkering with a dremel sanding disk and then switched to a file so I didn't get myself into trouble. I also used the dremel (large drum) for the beavertail and trigger guard undercut. I polished with strips of belt sander paper. Then I did some hand checkering on the rear. Coated in IonBond DLC. 

001.thumb.JPG.901b054ec09c4cb8bfe75cc21473c147.JPG5a7449953fb82_czts_034.thumb.JPG.0d25ededc8d3526ced9f31ed793c4298.JPG

On 2018-01-31 at 10:47 PM, CharlieD said:

I dremeled off the checkering and then used skateboard tape in place of it.  It looks good and I get a much better grip on the gun.

I use skateboard tape right over the waffle checkering. It holds in place without any problem and provides a much better grip. There have been a lot of good options provided here ?!

Edited by abb1