Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot jump not straight up and down

highhope

Hello, I am new to open, shoot about two months. I have a question that the dot jumps not straight up and down but to the upper right and draw a circle. I let my friend shoot it and it jumps straight. How should I do to improve the grip to correct this issue? Thanks a lot.

Edited by highhope

Does not really matter where it goes as long as it is consistent. I’d say grip it stronger and then your only waiting for it to get back on target, you don’t track it in recoil you only want it to get back to target. 

What is the PF of your ammo? I had an open gun that would go high right when fired. Once I made sure my grip was good; I did some testing with my ammo. I increased the powder charge by .2 and it made my gun track up and down.  My PF went from 171 to about 174-175, each gun is funny like that. I'm not saying this is your problem but someone recommended this to me and it worked. It goes without saying, be careful and watch for pressure signs if you choose to try this.

15 hours ago, highhope said:

Hello, I am new to open, shoot about two months. I have a question that the dot jumps not straight up and down but to the upper right and draw a circle. I let my friend shoot it and it jump straight. How I should do to improve the grip to correct this issue? Thanks a lot.

Time to get a new gun, man and give your gun to me since I shot it straight up and down. LOL

17 hours ago, BiggMike said:

What is the PF of your ammo? I had an open gun that would go high right when fired. Once I made sure my grip was good; I did some testing with my ammo. I increased the powder charge by .2 and it made my gun track up and down.  My PF went from 171 to about 174-175, each gun is funny like that. I'm not saying this is your problem but someone recommended this to me and it worked. It goes without saying, be careful and watch for pressure signs if you choose to try this.

Thank you sir for your advice, I will try that. My PF at FL state is about 180, I will need to lower that to a safer range 170-175. 

7 hours ago, dkwatch said:

Time to get a new gun, man and give your gun to me since I shot it straight up and down. LOL

Man, I am almost broke after buy this one.....Open is damn expensive, for me.....BTW, thanks for helping me test fire.

Edited by highhope

22 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Does not really matter where it goes as long as it is consistent. I’d say grip it stronger and then your only waiting for it to get back on target, you don’t track it in recoil you only want it to get back to target. 

22 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

grip harder with your left hand.  "might" want to try a thumbrest, but that doesn't always solve it.

As Homie said, as long as the movement is consistent, that is better than inconsistent.

Thank you both. I will try grip harder in the range.

2 hours ago, highhope said:

akai.jpg.6ec88027c1368cc8b56f46f072eba91c.jpg

Okay this looks like an Akai gun. If it is, then drop your PF to 170-175. Speedy built both of my guns and the sweet spot is between 170-175 PF. Shay will tell you the same thing. Also, is this a new gun or a used one? Is it stroked? I run a 7lb recoil spring but when mine started to wear out it was causing my dot to act a little weird not a big issue but something to think about.

12 minutes ago, BiggMike said:

Okay this looks like an Akai gun. If it is, then drop your PF to 170-175. Speedy built both of my guns and the sweet spot is between 170-175 PF. Shay will tell you the same thing. Also, is this a new gun or a used one? Is it stroked? I run a 7lb recoil spring but when mine started to wear out it was causing my dot to act a little weird not a big issue but something to think about.

It's a used gun, and stroked, with a 8lb recoil spring. Thank you sir. I will drop the PF to 170-175 and test a new spring..

4 minutes ago, Steelix said:

Nice looking gun you got. Those shoot so nice, as I friend of mine had one and it shot so flat.  If you don't mind me asking what powder are you using. 

thanks, I am using HS6. I am still looking for a good load...

13 hours ago, highhope said:

akai.jpg.6ec88027c1368cc8b56f46f072eba91c.jpg

Very nice looking gun!

Your *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted in a way that will probably cause you problems though.

You need to use 3 short screws to secure your optic mount direct to the frame.  The long screws through the *thumb rest [generic]* will 'clamp' the optic mount, but this isn't enough to keep the mount from rocking under the forces of recoil.  

The pic below is with the thumb rest in the forward position. Use the same pattern with it mounted in the back position like yours is now. 

Check out the thread linked below for more details and what can happen to your accuracy with your current mounting.

GasPedal2.JPG.85326b8e03c6350bc9d81f50cd

Where the dot goes during recoil is pretty irrelevant, so long as it returns to where you want it to be. If the up and to the right bothers you though You should just play with different grip pressures until you get what you want. But remember, more grip is always better (until it is interdering with your dexterity).

You should also try 115s with the HS6, that will be a flatter shooting load that might make the up and to the right slightly better.

While I have not experienced this, I have heard more than one good shooter describe a load as "too-flat" shooting where there is little muzzle rise. It instead just sort of mushes around on the horizontal plane. They said that they preferred predictable muzzle rise over the mush. Try backing off a bit on power and see how that works for you. 180 PF is a tad stiff.

Later,
Chuck

20 hours ago, Steelix said:

Is yours 9mm or 38sc and what's your load right now. You can try aa7 or 3n38 if your 38sc, you will get a little more gas. My friend ran HS6 in his. 

Thanks,, it's a 9mm major.

19 hours ago, yigal said:

try use 7 lb r.s and u will see the difference.( before u  make stronger pf)

great gun from very good gunsmith.

Thanks, will try 7lb. 

10 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Where the dot goes during recoil is pretty irrelevant, so long as it returns to where you want it to be. If the up and to the right bothers you though You should just play with different grip pressures until you get what you want. But remember, more grip is always better (until it is interdering with your dexterity).

You should also try 115s with the HS6, that will be a flatter shooting load that might make the up and to the right slightly better.

Thanks, I just bought 115gr bullets and will try that too.. 

11 hours ago, racer-x said:

Very nice looking gun!

Your *thumb rest [generic]* is mounted in a way that will probably cause you problems though.

You need to use 3 short screws to secure your optic mount direct to the frame.  The long screws through the *thumb rest [generic]* will 'clamp' the optic mount, but this isn't enough to keep the mount from rocking under the forces of recoil.  

The pic below is with the thumb rest in the forward position. Use the same pattern with it mounted in the back position like yours is now. 

Check out the thread linked below for more details and what can happen to your accuracy with your current mounting.

Thanks you Racer-x, I did set screws as you suggested, that pic is an old one. 

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

While I have not experienced this, I have heard more than one good shooter describe a load as "too-flat" shooting where there is little muzzle rise. It instead just sort of mushes around on the horizontal plane. They said that they preferred predictable muzzle rise over the mush. Try backing off a bit on power and see how that works for you. 180 PF is a tad stiff.

Later,
Chuck

Thank you Chuck, 180 is too high, will try backing off to 170- 175

Thank you all!

Something I have said for 30+ yrs: I don't care if the front sight (or dot) goes up and does a figure 8. What's important is that when the gun cycles and everything stops the sights are right where they were when I squeezed the trigger. Never understood the concept of "watching the sight lift". If I did that I would already be late to the next target. Once the hammer is released there is NOTHING you can do to change where that bullet goes. So be sure of your sight picture BEFORE you squeeze that trigger and get your eyes to the next target. So how do you get it to return to point of aim? With a firm but neutral grip. Don't try to choke the shit out of it. Don't try to "hold it down". Grip it firmly enough so the pistol doesn't slip in your hands when it fires and make sure you have an even pressure with both hands. 

9 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Something I have said for 30+ yrs: I don't care if the front sight (or dot) goes up and does a figure 8. What's important is that when the gun cycles and everything stops the sights are right where they were when I squeezed the trigger. Never understood the concept of "watching the sight lift". If I did that I would already be late to the next target. Once the hammer is released there is NOTHING you can do to change where that bullet goes. So be sure of your sight picture BEFORE you squeeze that trigger and get your eyes to the next target. So how do you get it to return to point of aim? With a firm but neutral grip. Don't try to choke the shit out of it. Don't try to "hold it down". Grip it firmly enough so the pistol doesn't slip in your hands when it fires and make sure you have an even pressure with both hands. 

Watching the sight lift is a necessary skill to call a shot.  I think you're taking the term "watch lift" and translating that to "track the dot during the duration of recoil," which I agree is not necessary.   I would argue a good shooter who can isolate the trigger pull and has good sight focus may not need to watch the sight lift for most shots, but as the distance increases, yes because even minor changes in the body and trigger pull could throw a shot, and only seeing the sight lift can tell you where the shot went.

I have nothing to contribute as to how to fix the original issue haha