Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Reloads Can You Do?

Not sure, and not gonna test this close to Nats, but when I have practiced reloads before, I wouldn't let myself stop until I could do five in a row smooth from the belt(1 starter and pouches front to back 1-4 all consecutive on the clock with one time). That was a long time ago when I really needed to focus on reloads.

I've been working on consistency big time in dry fire and was talking to Stewart about it earlier.

They weren't blazing speed or anything (probably 1.0 - 1.2) but they were all textbook perfect. Did 143 in a row....didn't miss one just decided to stop.

I never bothered to count that high, and never done that many at a time :), but if you focus on just doing them you can do a lot of them in a row once you learn to relax and just do them. The ubber fast ones are where you get yourself all tense and miss them, and ubber fast reloads are cool, but seldom need in match conditions.

If I'm reloading at about a 1.2 to 1.4 pace, maybe a couple dozen. Where I really get into trouble is when I grab the mag too fast and when my torso is rotated a bit - especially on the El Prez. I've got the chewed to hell magwell to prove it too... :(

Reloads are a must, even in open. i am proud to say that i can do a 1 sec reload in demand. but if you were to ask me how many dry fire reloads i've done; i'd say about a half a bottle of Maker's Mark! TY Chuck and Eric. That's some rewarding whiskey!

I switched to a skinny gun last winter and I have done so many reloads I could just puke. I generally do reducing par time dry fire reloads, starting with the gun on the target, reload at the buzz and have the gun back on target by the second buzz. I become bobble prone and start to blow them on occasion at around 1.3 seconds.

We all know what really matters is nailing the reloads in a match when it matters. I haven't totally blown very many match reloads in a couple of years, and while not blazingly fast, I get by OK. You don't need to beat the Holy Grail of reloads (sub one second) to gather up a ton of wow factor. My best reload this season in a match was a slide lock skinny gun reload to an 8 inch round plate at 18 yards in 1.4 seconds. I have not been able to duplicate that in practice. :(

I have to stop and let my shoulders relax for a few seconds after every ten.

If I don't, I start to fumble right away. I can usually do about 3 sets of ten before I bobble one.

Don't practice reloading standing still unless you plan to reload that way in matches. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i havent fumbled one in a match in over a year.

when i start practicing and pushing to get the super fast load, i will start to miss. a comfortable 1.1 load is easy pushing much below .90 gets tough to do without missing once in a while.

I shot the entire Area4 match in limited 10 and never missed any of the many loads...stand and shoot im killer on the reload...managing a 12.5 hit factor on a virginia count standard( i think it was MOE)

If you can get sub 1 second shot to shot split with the reload on a skinny gun, it would be awesome.

ill try to take a video this weekend of a sub second live fire reload.

and to answer the question, during practice, im probably about par with Phil Strader...the fifth load will miss! ;)

For a while at the end of dry fire I would try to pressure myself into missing with a tight par time and a goal that I couldn't quit until I had hit ten in a row or something like that. I like to simulate match pressure as much as possible. Something like a dry fire draw, and load in 1.80.

Anyway, now I am working more towards getting things right the first time, and since I don't often have to hit ten reloads in a row in a stage, I'll do more of a mix, draw, sweep some targets, reload moving, or going to kneeling or something like that.

I think what got me off the 1000 in a row loads, was that I noticed my eyes "sticking" at the focus for the reload and not catching the front site on the way out again. I was ONLY doing loads so my brain figured to make it easier for me.

That being said, if they are rough during a pracice session I might stand there and do 10 or 20 to groove them in.

• 1 month later...

I never tried as many as Jake (man, who would stop at 143? I would at least do the other 7 to round things off nicely.... or the other 857 ;):P)

I did 25 in a row once before I fumbeled. They were pretty fast and smooth though :)

100+ reloads is fantastic.

It is strange for me.

But my smoothest reloads are usually my first 4-5 runs. Single Stack gun with one in the gun and four on the belt. Like I said I do 4 or 5 runs that are perfect. Smooth and fast. As I start to really push it I fumble one. I notice that is cuased by getting sloppy and taking my eye off the mag well. I stop for a few seconds, then start again, pushing myself, I usually go another 4 or 5 that are great then flub up again. I will not stop until I do at least two maybe three consecutive runs that are perfect.

I never ever stop a practice on an error or mistake. I want the last thing I remember about the practice is doing the exercise correctly.

• 1 year later...

*cough* So the answer is three. I can only string three reloads together with my eyes closed. After that, it's all a big mess.

When I slow down to around 1.4, I strung 40+ reloads. After that, my thumb started to fall off (stock G34 mind you) :D

• 1 month later...

Remember to shoot the low light shoots. You are lucky to see the target or the runway.

Where did you say your mags feel out. Do you really have to see your reloads.

Just think you are in are in your bedroom late at night and you hear glass breaking down stairs.

In the dark you retrieve your firearm, load it and dial 911 all with a light off in your room.

You then feel your way down the stairs, see something shiny pointed your way, your pull your trigger and it goes click. What do you do? Rack the slide and shoot or turn on the light to see what’s wrong.

Only to hear the loud noise of the closing door; it was the Drop Turner saying you missed your chance. Always verify you are loaded when engagement is imminent.

Part of a Level III match stage in the dark some years back.