Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 powder scale recommendations ?

TheStagePlan

Ive been from dillon analog balance beam, went to 3 different brands of electronic scales, went back to dillon balance beam for reliability, consistency and accuracy. 

For load development electronic scales are convinient. But their high sensitivity sometimes work against their reliability. I noticed even celphone activity and some electrical lightings and motors operating nearby disturb some scales’ readings. So for my regular stablished go-to loads I prefer analog. 

This is easy.

There are a few good choices in electronic scales. What are you loading ? Precision Rifle ? Shot shell ? Pistol ?

I have used several scales from Jennings including the JSR200 which has a good resolution and capacity. At $ 23, it is a good value. it reads to 0.1 gr and for pistol or shot gun loads, it will more than work.  But if you, how should I put this,  want more just because you can and not because you really need it,  you probably want something with higher resolution. 

Many people use the My Weigh GemPro scales. It has a much higher resolution but is also $125. Do you need 0.02 resolution or is 0.1 good enough?

I have a old Redding beam scale that has been tuned and will react when a single kernal of powder is added or removed from the pan.  I rarely use it except for precision  rifle loads or to double check the digital scale. 

My 13 year old PACT started getting wonky last year, so I did some research and settled on the GemPro 250. Been using it for a year now and it has been very consistent.

$163 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-SCGEMPRO250-GemPro-0-001g/dp/B004C3I3AA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516624123&sr=8-2&keywords=gempro+250

I recommend that you always measure multiple loads and then average the total.

I usually drop 4 charges and measure total weight, then /4 to average. 

This technique greatly increases the measurement accuracy / consistency of your charge weight with any scale.

I have an old Dillon digital that is probably 20 yrs old. I have calibration weights that allow me to be sure it is accurate. It has never been "not accurate" in all those 20 yrs. Strictly speaking, all measuring devices should be calibrated but I personally wouldn't bother with a balance. Just make sure it is zeroed.

In terms of the big picture, when carefully working up loads and chrono'ng them,  precision (reproducibility) is probably more a concern than accuracy. The measuring devices these days are pretty darn accurate but sloppy technique dispensing powder, spilling it, etc will screw up precision and lead to variable powder charges. You can't blame that on the scale.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 4:13 AM, 9x45 said:

The cheapy digitals are just as good as the expensive ones for reloading. 

I'm kinda curious about this - have been considering since I read through this earlier. I use a cheap - relatively speaking - bench scale (think it's the MW? These look familiar), and I'm wondering if it's at all worth investing in something more expensive / specialized? I'm kind leading towards no but hey *shrugs* 

8 hours ago, TaVikings said:

is it worth investing in something more expensive ? I'm leading towards no but hey *shrugs* 

See my response above from Jan 21st.  The third response.

If you're going to be throwing powder from a powder dispenser there's

no sense getting too precise with the scale.  

Use your chrono to refine your powder throw - does it make PF by a

wide enough safety margin ?   If yes, it's all okay   :)   

Viking, Dillon powder hoppers will vary the throw weight by +/-. 1. grains to +/- .3 grains, depending on if you are using a sugar powder or corn flake powder. I also have a 35 year old Ohaus but only because the $20 jewelers scales didn't exist back then. For calibration I use a 3 and a 10 grain weight that was measured on a $22,000 digital in the lab....

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

See my response above from Jan 21st.  The third response.

If you're going to be throwing powder from a powder dispenser there's

no sense getting too precise with the scale.  

Use your chrono to refine your powder throw - does it make PF by a

wide enough safety margin ?   If yes, it's all okay   :)   

Ah, perfect. Had skipped over that one somehow. Thanks! :D

• 2 months later...

These Gemini-20 cheap scales work well and mine is still going after 2 years;

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1525349460&sr=8-8&keywords=aws+scale

All electronic scales slowly drift so calibrate it each time with the 2 x 10g weights included.

Note it will run down the batteries if left in the unit. Once I worked this out my current set has lasted over 12 months.

Edited by BMaus

On 2/20/2018 at 8:04 AM, Frank705 said:

If you looking for something that will last forever, not cost to much and has good accuracy I would recommend the Dillon Electronic scale. I purchased one at least 25 years ago and its still working fine. 

I've had my Dillon Electronic for about 20 yrs or so. I have calibration wts but the scale has never wandered.

54 minutes ago, BMaus said:

These Gemini-20 cheap scales work well and mine is still going after 2 years;

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1525349460&sr=8-8&keywords=aws+scale

All electronic scales slowly drift so calibrate it each time with the 2 x 10g weights included.

Note it will run down the batteries if left in the unit. Once I worked this out my current set has lasted over 12 months.

Got this one myself and also got a set of control weights:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Calibration-WGHTKIT/dp/B003STEJAC/ref=zg_bs_4989308011_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PM2BBE5WT045PR62F3CA

Since I also have access to analytical balances at my job, I double checked on the calibration weights and they are right on.