Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deep Throat - Barrels for 9mm??

Looking for info to build my first PCC. When Gibbz or Taccom comes out with the ambi side charging upper/bolt I want to be ready :)  

I hear barrels must have a Deep Throat to run well. Could you list the barrels and if possible a link or best price you've seen?

Looking for around 8 inch. Going to perm attach a Taccom extension to it for full 16.1

Going to revise this into a request for people to list:

9mm pcc barrel for ar9 building

1) maker/ model 

2) manufacture or purchase date

3) longest round that plunks and spin

4) weight, length,  thread spec, twist and any other features 

5) price paid and link

Joe

Edited by Joeg26er
Specs
14 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Look at the Wilson Arms barrels. They make them in different lengths and the chamber is throated so you can load long. Thanks, Eric

One of my uppers has a Wilson Arms barrel, the leade is not any longer than any of my stock 9mm pistols.

Going to revise this into a request for people to list:

9mm pcc barrel for ar9 building

1) maker/ model 

2) manufacture or purchase date

3) longest round that plunks and spin

4) weight, length,  thread spec, twist and any other features 

5) price paid and link

2 minutes ago, Garmil said:

What mags are you going to be using that will allow the long oal you are worried about?

Some 9mm barrels won't take 147g or larger subsonic 

i don't want to buy a barrel and have to throat or ream or modify it

i believe that this information will also be useful to others

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, Joeg26er said:

from initial research, it seems current Ballistic advantage have deep throats but early did not?

Any barrels to stay away from that can't take a long load bullet?

I am interested in this subject also. So the Ballistic barrels are good? Do the new barrels have a different name or mark on them? Does anyone use the Faxon barrel? Anyone think one is better than the other? Thanks.

26 minutes ago, z40acp said:

I am interested in this subject also. So the Ballistic barrels are good? Do the new barrels have a different name or mark on them? Does anyone use the Faxon barrel? Anyone think one is better than the other? Thanks.

I use a Faxon 10.5 inch. A very good barrel, but so are all the rest. Weight might one of your considerations, also.

1st., I'm not a gunsmith, just an avid tinker. I've built 4 each  9mm/ AR's as "light weight or bare bones" as I can....3 with "pencil barells" and have used the Faxon 16", 2 each Spinta 16" one SS the other 4140 (Good price). Taccom (ramped w/ 5.5" barrel/Blitzgrig hyd. bolt), PSA 16" non pencil (working on that). I've been able to experiment with various drop in single stage trigger groups. The Taccom 5.5" ramped barrel/ aluminum extention, (use their bolt or modify yours, simple mod) model "points" quickly it  is noticibly lighter. None of these builds have enough rounds thru them that I can DEFINATLY say I like one better than other. (Leaning toward the Taccom AR set up)....THAT said, My CZ Scorpion carbine has always been a runner,... I've put many rounds thru it. Different bullet weight's from 95 grn. to 147's. I was able to shoot a highly modified, (had all the bells and whistles)  SIG MBX yesterday (probably a $3000.00 +gun). Very, very nice shooter...

Don't turn your nose up on the new 9mm carbine  from Ruger.... lot's of good reviews....

I have the Clymer finish chamber reamer and Clymer "throut"reamer. I do check all, generally all have been in spec, some will lightly remove a tad of metal near the bullet end, all have passed the "plunk" test @ various OAL's. BUILD or BUY, enjoy!!!