Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deep Throat - Barrels for 9mm??

This thread has more "I" stories than an Optometrist's waiting room.

If you want a very good 16 inch barrel that is lightweight and will plunk anything your magazine will hold, then try the Faxon. A ramped barrel isn't necessary if you are using a quality bolt, of which there are several.

45 minutes ago, mike NM said:

1st., I'm not a gunsmith, just an avid tinker. I've built 4 each  9mm/ AR's as "light weight or bare bones" as I can....3 with "pencil barells" and have used the Faxon 16", 2 each Spinta 16" one SS the other 4140 (Good price). Taccom (ramped w/ 5.5" barrel/Blitzgrig hyd. bolt), PSA 16" non pencil (working on that). I've been able to experiment with various drop in single stage trigger groups. The Taccom 5.5" ramped barrel/ aluminum extention, (use their bolt or modify yours, simple mod) model "points" quickly it  is noticibly lighter. None of these builds have enough rounds thru them that I can DEFINATLY say I like one better than other. (Leaning toward the Taccom AR set up)....THAT said, My CZ Scorpion carbine has always been a runner,... I've put many rounds thru it. Different bullet weight's from 95 grn. to 147's. I was able to shoot a highly modified, (had all the bells and whistles)  SIG MBX yesterday (probably a $3000.00 +gun). Very, very nice shooter...

Don't turn your nose up on the new 9mm carbine  from Ruger.... lot's of good reviews....

I have the Clymer finish chamber reamer and Clymer "throut"reamer. I do check all, generally all have been in spec, some will lightly remove a tad of metal near the bullet end, all have passed the "plunk" test @ various OAL's. BUILD or BUY, enjoy!!!

Do you have a problem throating a Nitrate coated chamber?

I have heard they are a problem because of the  hard coating.

Nitrated barrels, tuff stuff..... I have been lucky so far..Most of these barrels have been near spec on, none required a deep ream (Probably would have needed a carbide reamer and I don't have one)).... As I said, all have been very close to spec with just a minor "shine" towards the bullet end after the reamer check. Go slow and LOT"S of grease (I use grease too see if I'm cutting, I can see any cutting/residue). The "plunk" test is your friend.....The CZ Scorpion needed nothing (Remember, it was a sub-machine gun before it was a semi-auto). Ingenious how it's modular built. It has to be taken appart in a certain order. Just remember, you can't have too many guns, BUT you can get close!

Do you have a problem throating a Nitrate coated chamber?
I have heard they are a problem because of the  hard coating.

I had Carbide custom reamers made, and they will cut through anything like it was butter. I like to shoot a projectile that has a rather fat ogive, so I’ve pretty much had to ream most barrels to load it at a normal length. The Wilson Arms and JP Barrels are the only ones I’ve tried that I haven’t had to ream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a comment on testing for a "plunk"...I load to 1.140" with a coated lead Bayou 135... I had to ream a first generation PSA 16" barrel (nitrided) with a borrowed throating reamer... I could not cut it by hand with a T handle... using the lathe and tail stock, I head spaced it with several dummy rounds until it "plunked", but put the barrel away for a couple of months... allergies have screwed with my vision using a dot, so brought the throated barrel out on an upper with a 1.5x ACOG... when loaded from the bolt slamming home, I had to shoot the round out to clear.... will try a slightly shorter OAL

quick edit... works with 1.110" OAL

Edited by Les Snyder