Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Girlfriend Is Looking At Getting A New Car

Hello fellow BE'ers,

The girlfriend was in an auto accident on Monday (July 4th of all days).

She is alright, sore but alright. Nothing broken. A slight bruise, abrasion, and or burn where the shoulder strap got her.

Her car got towed off. We don't know yet if the insurance company is going to "total it" or if they are going to repair it.

She was driving a 2002 Infiniti I 35, 4 door, leather seats, power everything, sunroof, and 6 disc CD changer, front wheel drive, automatic.

So what advice would you all give?

Makes and models?

Buy or lease?

New or used?

Etc, etc?

Just wondering too what models to stay away from. Like I've heard the Dodge Intrepid's engine blows apart at 60,000 miles.

Thanks.

I'd wait until the insurance company makes a decision on it. It would be a very good idea to do some research into the car's present value so if it is totalled, you will know if they are offering her a fair settlement. Any records on how well it has been maintained are good to have to establish condition.

For curiosity's sake, is her insurance paying or the other party's?

Glad to hear she's OK,

John

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Merlin, that would be my ride not hers.

She would rather stick with a car. She specifically said no trucks.

My girlfriend is an insurance agent/financial advisor (ironic enough?).

She has already looked into what the car is worth vs. how much she still owes on it.

We live in the St. Louis metro area, so the winters can bring snow. I'd rather see her have a front wheel drive car for that reason.

Are there any places on the internet where we can type in features that we're looking for and it'll spit out a list of possible new cars?

One more thing I was curious about. If the insurance company does "total it", what happens to the car?

Thanks,

Chills

One more thing I was curious about.  If the insurance company does "total it", what happens to the car?

They will usually sell it to a breaker or something that can get some money back on it. Once they declare it totalled then the insurance company owns it as they have paid out for it.

If you get a lot of snow then I would opt for a four-wheel drive, lots of cars like subaru, audi etc. have four wheel drive versions. Volvo's are always a safe bet as well.

My FREELANDER is 90% front-wheel drive and is awesome in the snow. Sport-shift means no braking in the ice/snow, just nudge the gear selector front and back... and it drives like a car on the road, and like a Land Rover off-road... B)

If the airbags deployed you are highly likely to see it totalled.

My vote would be "truck" but since she already nixed that...Subaru. My wife is from St. Louis and is always saying how she wishes she would have had our Outback when she lived there.

If she doesn't want a wagon the Outback Coupe is pretty nice...or the WRX.

No truck, ehh??

Subaru is a great driving - and fast little vehicle. Best bang for the buck.

Land Rover gives the proper "Yuppie Appeal" needed for someone in her biz.

A G Coupe is pure sex...

Its all good. :)

When some dumb, stupid %$%@ crashed into my car, her insurance company totalled it and sold it to a scrap yard for about $600. Someone hit the same car about 2 years prior and did more damage than the car was worth, but for some reason, that insurance company decided to fix it rather than total it. It really depends on the insurance company.

If the insurance company does total the car, remember, the insurance company has to put you in the exact same spot you were in before the accident. Meaning, figure out what it would cost to buy/lease the car that was totalled from a dealer (don't look at wholesale or trade-in value, look at the full-boat retail price - which is the cost you would pay to get the same car today). You can find this info on Kelly Blue Book and other sites. Add to that the amount it would cost you for tax, title, and license, plus any other expenses that have been incurred, such as a rental car.

My vote is for Subaru or Audi. I like the idea of 4 wheel drive and snow.

BritinUSA

Last time I saw a yuppie doing picture #1, last week in local carpark, the bonehead had got it stuck on a ramp, by turning too tight due to lack of skill. He had it bellyed on a huge concrete kerb / footpath. Shit I laughed till it hurt.

I did help. I got into it and powered it off the kerb by rocking it. Lots of damage, and I walked away smiling. It was a two year old ex Japan Honda thing. Low profile tyres on big alloy wanker mobile wheels, and lowered.

I know in certain areas GM was offering the same prices that employees get which is a substaintial savings over the list. More than you might realize. I don't know if that ended at the end of June or not though.

A nice Midsize car is the newly restyled Pontiac G6, the Buick LaCrosse is also a beauty. I want the new Buick LaCerne (sp?) just because it has cooled and heated seats. Seriously nice stuff.

Rick

BMW X5....Yea Boy! :D

If you go for the X5, ask Stewart how many keys your girlfriend should carry....... :lol::lol::lol::ph34r::ph34r:

Nik ,

You know you are so wrong! I'm trying to forget that it took four guys, two slim jims, a coat hanger and TWO HOURS to break into the friggin car. I don't know what I'd of done without the help of the great guys who stayed with me and helped me out. Thanks again!

If your girl buys an X5 they are a vault! DO NOT lock your keys inside or you'll be so sorry! :o:o