Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming pistol brass

bandw1dth

I use a hundo case checking gauge...  After checking 100 rounds, I turn it on edge and look down the flat surface to check the primers...  Sometimes I'll notice a case or two that sits a little higher...  I used to pull them and use them for practice...  Never had any problems shooting them, so now I just shoot them.

I asked this very same thing when I first started reloading 40 earlier this year and that is the answers I got.  Nope, unless you are shooting rifle.  Then yes, you would want to check it and possibly (more than likely) trim it.  But for pistol, no, it isn't necessary.  So, I never even bought the trimming equipment until I'm getting ready to load for my .308.  ;-) 

If the case head-spaces on the case mouth, then trimming just increases head space and leads to worse accuracy. Pistols already start off with excessive head space from all cases being too short and it just gets worse.

Many Bullseye shooters who shot .38 Super only loaded a case three times, as by then it would have shrunk enough to upset accuracy.

Bottleneck cases grow because their is a SHOULDER pushing forward while the base is being pushed back. No shoulder, no stretching—though I have been told that hot .45-70 loads can grow.

Deerassassin22: Did you verify the ACCURACY improved? As long as you are head spacing on the rim (moon clip?), it won't hurt.

I tried with .38 Spl, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag and saw NO improvement in accuracy out to 50 yards, and consistent velocity does not equal better accuracy in a handgun at 50 yards or less for any gun I have owned.