Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Books

dajarrel

Am I the only one that reads a book more than one time? There are several that have been multiple repeat readers for me over the years.

Alas Babylon by Pat Franks

Patterns of Chaos by Colin Kapp

Lord of the Rings the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

Without Remorse by Tom Clancy

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Actually, I have probably read all of Clancy's earlier works multiple times as well as most of Robert Heinlen's works.

Anyone Else???

dj

I've definitely read several more than once. Tolkein, some Clancy stuff, some Stephen King stuff. The Frank Miller "Dark Knight" graphic novel. The "Hitchiker's Guide" series.

Brian's book. "Performing Your Best" by Tom Kubistant.

Heck, most everything on my shelf has been read at least twice, unless it was something that I picked up recently. I usually leave some time between re-reads.

I agree on Without Remorse, and Red Storm Rising. Marine Sniper. Shogun. Seal Team One by Dick Couch. The Canterbury Tales. The Ninja series by Eric Van Lustbader. The Red badge of Courage.

Hell, I was an English major so the list could go on for a real long time.

Dajarrel, I'm impressed. Alas Babylon has been a secret favorite of mine for years, ever since I found it on a back shelf in my honor's English teacher's bookshelf in high school. Here's a few others that I've worn the covers off of:

Catch-22- Joe Heller

Last of the Breed- Louis L'Amour

Jubal Sackett- L'Amour

Sackett's Land- L'Amour

The Walking Drum- L'Amour

A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth- Col. Jeff Cooper

The Revolt of the Elites- Christopher Lasch

On Liberty- John Stuart Mill

God Knows- Joe Heller

Good Omens- Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

The Third World War General Sir John Hackett

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee- Dee Brown

The Great Shark Hunt- Hunter S. Thompson

Night Comes to the Cumberlands- Harry Caudill

The Snows of Kilimanjaro, A Farewell to Arms, The Old Man and the Sea, The Nick Adams Stories- Ernest Hemingway

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams

And a hardbound Shakespeare anthology I found years ago. I've got a more complete one that's softbound, but this one's survuved better and has remained a shad more tolerant of travel.

And no, you're not the only one that reads several books at a time. Right now I'm going back through some of my Civil War stuff- being in NV there's no reason not to- and a local history of a Maryland family. The downside of this approach is that I don't think one actually gets as much reading done as when one reads one book in several long sittings. Perhaps not, but it seems so to me.

OH CRAP! I just remembered a book I saw a while back that I read a week or two ago and lost, but I'll have another copy! I can't remember the author, but it was called "Fire at the Gates, or something along those lines. Historical fiction is sort of anathema to me, but I enjoyed this book thoroughly. It was a historic fiction piece (of course) on the defense of Thermopolyae as told from the viewpoint of a Spartan servant-cum-trooper that was mortally wounded on the battlefield, captured and questioned before dying. I don't know if this might be pertinent , by I think he was a Thessalian. Anyway, if you see it (be warned- it looks pulpish) don't turn it down. Even for serious historians it's an involving an enjoyable read.

Dune, series

Lord of The Rings and anything else by Tolkein

Rendevous with Rama series

Harry Potter

Guns Digest, Shooters Bible

Anything by David Feintuch, especially the Hope series.

Iain M Banks

I re-read books all the time. It keeps me sane.

Every book by Peter Capstick, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Russell Anabel, every book published by the Sportsman's Fraternity, Brian's book, and the Bible......for a very short list..

I've never read Capstick but wound up with a copy of his Safari: The Last Adventure somehow, and I've really been meaning to read it. I've also been through Gun Notes I&II as well as Hell, I Was There a time or three, but they stay on the shelf for reference these days. Which reminds me- I borrowedHell, I Was There from a guy I was in grad school with a while back and probably need to get it back to him. Forgive my ignorance, BTW, but who'se Russell Anabel? What did he write?

Books that I read and re-read regularly.

The Scriptures

Literature

Screwtape Letters

Atlas Shrugged

Fountain Head

Enders Game

Huckleberry Finn

Without Remorse

Shooting Books

Surgical Speed Shooting

Principles of Personal Defense

Practical Shooting

Shooting from Within

Trading Books

Hedge Fund Edge

How to Make Money in Stocks

Trader Vic

Trader Vic 2

Reminisces of a Stock Operator

Market Wizards

New Market Wizards

Stock Market Wizards

Fooled by Randomness

Education of a Speculator

Practical Speculation

Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets

Winning on Wall Street

I read a lot and have read all of these books multiple times. No, I am not an amazing shooter but I do practice a lot and everytime I get in a slump I read shooting books and I find that they help a lot. I am not amazingly wealthy but I have a lot more money then I used to and keep getting better at my trading. I am also a stockbroker so one of my two biggest interests is also a big part of my job. As for fiction there are not many that I go back and read multiple times because I don't get a lot out of them very often the second time. Whereas a good book that goes over what to and how to do something and helps you to build a framework to be successful at it are very good the first time and get better as your understanding of the subject matter grows.

-David

Quite the variety we have going here. How about:

All of S.L.A. Marshall's stuff

Tony Hillerman

James Lee Burke

"With the Old Breed" by E. B. Sledge. WWII Marine memoir. Not for the faint of heart.

"The Brink" by Rick Setlowe. A fairly obscure Cold War novel, but excellent.

"Tiger the LURP Dog" by Kenn Miller. Viet Nam novel. The ending will stay with you for a while.

I've got a LOT of books I have reread many times. So a few

The fun light reading type

stainless steel rat series

the garret files series (aka adjective metal noun series)

hitchikers guide series

the two dirk gently books

lamb: the gospel according to biff, christ's childhood pal

bloodsucking fiends: a love story

less light, but still entertaining

The ender series

the amber series

all the bordertown/borderland books

dad's nuke

angry candy

starship troopers

the forever war

more than human

stranger in a strange land

amnesia moon

cat's cradle

farenheit 451

non-fictiony stuff

surely you're joking mr. feynman

the tao of pooh

the tao te ching

the five rings

practical shooting/ beyond the fundamentals

that's a short list anyway.. I kind of treat books more like a DVD, and tend to get rid of ones I won't read a second time. i've read most of my collection at least twice.

I can't remember the author, but it was called "Fire at the Gates, or something along those lines.  Historical fiction is sort of anathema to me, but I enjoyed this book thoroughly.  It was a historic fiction piece (of course) on the defense of Thermopolyae as told from the viewpoint of a Spartan servant-cum-trooper that was mortally wounded on the battlefield, captured and questioned before dying.  I don't know if this might be pertinent , by I think he was a Thessalian.  Anyway, if you see it (be warned- it looks pulpish) don't turn it down.  Even for serious historians it's an involving an enjoyable read.

Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. Excellent, excellent book. If you trust him enough to read other historical fiction, try his Tides of War (Pellopenesian War) and Last of the Amazons (early Greek republic). His latest book on Alexander wasn't up to spec I thought. Better Alexander story is Mandfredi's trilogy.

Lately my list of favorite books is not denoted with number of times read, but rather number of copies around the house... Ideal is one hardback to keep pristine, one large-format paperback for reading, and a paperback or two for travel. LOTR, Dune, Gates of Fire, L'Amour's Walking Drum. And especially Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Damn I love that book. His other ones are very good also.

Other good books lately have been Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, Clavell's Shogun (and others, but they weren't as great), and Enemies Foreign and Domestic (modern gun control story, you can read half of it at the web site).

LOTR trilogy - so many times since the 60's I've lost count

Shogun

Dune series (hehe, have a first edition hardcover with dustjacket of Dune)

Heinlein - Stranger in a strange land (also fe with dj)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (fe with dj)

Time Enough for Love (fe with dj)

in fact, re-read virtually the entire collection of heinlein on a regualr basis.

Richard Sapir - The Far Arena

my goodness, so many every couple of three years that I have to go in the attic to look at my re-read box....

I find greater pleasure in all of these as I get older than I did when I first read them....