Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Dillon Automatic

1800 is for brass processing only on the 650. At the 1400 setting with index and proper dwell setting to make it run smooth you are looking at around 1000rph. In reality thats probably plenty quick. My hand press i can crank out near that an hour but i have to stop to refill primers, brass etc, The 650 with a Mark 7 its possible to just feed components as you go. Plus your arm doesnt get tired. 

If money isnt an issue id go the 1050, its a better set up for only a bit more money. Makes comming across crimped brass a lot easier. It will run with less stoppages as a result. 

15 minutes ago, GregJ said:

I'm very happy with my 1050 and AmmoBot. 

Did you look at the Mark 7? Price wise I was hoping 650 and ammobot. With everyone saying 1050 I'm piecing it together now and going to have to wait for the auto part for a little later this year. 

My experience is with a 650 and a Mk7 Pro drive. My comments regarding this setup compared to a 1050 setup are based on info I have seen and read about. I have not personally used the 1050 or its auto drive.

1. There is a large investment difference between the two setups and the 1050 is more difficult to change calibers. That said the 1050 should produce at a higher rate than the 650 if you need that and plan on only loading a single caliber. I do not load crimped brass, but if you do the 1050 is a no brainer.

2. The 1050 does not have a lifetime no-bs warranty if that is important to you. 

3. I had a hell of a frustrating time getting my 650 minutely adjusted properly to run reliably with the Mk7. It's amazing how forgiving the manual operation is versus the automated operation. I am an engineer with a lot of mechanical device experience, but identifying just what adjustment gave me torque shutdowns and "random" jams just about drove me insane and caused me to write the MK7 off as a stupid purchase.

4. The 650 indexer ring is a ridiculously poor design and I broke 4 of them unnecessarily getting this thing running. When I asked Dillon if they were seeing this problem in other installations, their answer was that they did not do tech service on Mk7's. I never asked them to. I just asked for their experience which they never addressed. In spite of the fact that I bought 6 indexer rings (used 5), I never was offered any of the free parts I hear so much about, but I never asked for then either.

5. Mark 7 was absolutely great to deal with. They essentially admitted to a problem with torque application at the point of removing the ram from top dead center (i think removing the casing from the expander die, but not certain) and pointed me to a new software version which seems to have fixed this problem and some other improvements in operation (including a production rate increase). I recommend the Mk7 technical service to everybody.

6. The automation of the 650 is a little more complex than the 1050 due to the need to push forward to seat a primer. The 1050 does everything on the upstroke.

7. What would I do? If starting over, I would go with a 1050 and a Mark 7 because I only load a single caliber and it is my impression (not experience) that the 1050 system works better when automated. Again if loading crimped brass, the 1050 is a no brainer. I would think long and hard about getting one of the lower priced versions of the 1050 or 650 units. The flexibility and control you give up might come back to haunt you.I would question Mk7 a lot before saving a few bucks of capital. In my limited experience they will give you honest answers.

8. So if starting over, I would spend the money for a full featured Mk7 and a 1050. However...after a lot of frustration that taxed my mechanical diagnostic skills and my patience, my 650 seems to be running very smoothly now and I am happy with it. It still throws me for loop every now and then, but .......

I realize I did not give you an answer just a lot of things to think about...that's life, no perfect answers.

10 hours ago, JAustin316 said:

Did you look at the Mark 7? Price wise I was hoping 650 and ammobot. With everyone saying 1050 I'm piecing it together now and going to have to wait for the auto part for a little later this year. 

Yes, sorta, though I have to admit I didnt do a feature/feature comparison.

A local dealer <<== LINKY sells the 1050 with AB all set in the caliber you want, and can take 3 months to pay.  This was a big deal to me, as I knew it would be easier to get the CFO to approve 3 relatively reasonable chunks instead of one BIG chunk. And so far the AB has worked quite well, and the support has been fantastic.  Plus it retains the handle so it is easier to clear jams, or load individual rounds if needed.

I am coming from a LNL with case and bullet feeder. I am starting to shoot a lot of 9mm, and wanted the ability to handle crimped primers, so the 1050 was a natural choice.  

Each are very good in what they do.  It just depends on which one fits your needs the best, then that one is "the best". :cheers:

Edited by GregJ

I scored a 1050 for a good price and went with Mark 7 , Their latest option LTE which theyre calling a Consumer grade is what I went with because Im cheap but I like cool stuff. Loads 9 major at 1200 rds an hour and puts a smile on my face while doing so. That is unprocessed mixed range brass. If I pre processed, running at 1500 rds an hour would probably also be a breeze.

15 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I have Mark 7's for 2 1050's and also one for a 650.  I love them.  I am one of those guys who hates loading ammo and they totally changed my shooting life for the better.  

Head to head comparison on automated 650 vs 1050?

• 4 weeks later...