Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post Ream - OAL?

SCTaylor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

For those of you on the Beven ream team, what length are you guys running your 147 FP rounds at?

That's going to vary widely. Every bullet profile is going to hit the rifling at a different length.

I'm loading a 150gr SWC to 1.160" currently and the Stock III likes it just fine.

The only reason I ran that OAL was to see if the gun would feed it 100%. I haven't done any load development yet.

That said, I'm going to have to disagree strongly to your assertion that you can predict the OAL which will be most accurate in my particular gun, using a bullet you've never shot.

I have considerable experience developing a load for any number of different guns, and often even consecutive serial numbers liked different ammo.

Who knows, however... if you're right, I'll let you know!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Seeing as every other 9mm I own eats 1.150 147gr bullets, I'd probably just stick to that and call it good. For the accuracy needs of the games I play, chasing different OALs for each gun would be unnecessary.     

14 minutes ago, v1911 said:

Seeing as every other 9mm I own eats 1.150 147gr bullets, I'd probably just stick to that and call it good. For the accuracy needs of the games I play, chasing different OALs for each gun would be unnecessary.     

Until you're shooting at a 30yd plate rack on the clock, this is true.

If you're going to take the time with varying OALs, then could you do me a favor?

Take with you, various loads and handguns and see just how much difference there actually is. I'm interested to see if there is any significant difference.

This of course would be better suited for the 9/38 reloading subform. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would find this information valuable. 

2 hours ago, v1911 said:

Take with you various loads and handguns and see just how much difference there actually is. I'm interested to see if there is any significant difference.

I've already done that with each gun I've competed with: Glock 34 and M&P 9L.

The Glock likes 1.135" with a BBI 135gr bullet, 1.150" and 1.115" weren't as accurate. 3-3.5" groups with those at 25y vs 5" or so.

The M&P wouldn't shoot less than a 10" group with any heavy bullet - 135 or 147. It grouped 3.5" or so with 115gr factory. They're notorious for failing with heavy rounds.

With an Apex hand-fitted barrel it shoots under 3" with everything I fed it. It shot 1.75" with the same 1.135" the Glock liked... so I quit right there and kept that load.

(I'm not a very good group shooter. It takes half a dozen tries for me to shoot a 2-3" group with a gun rested on bags. I keep calling fliers due to operator error, and when that's 3 shots out of 5...)

2 hours ago, ARy said:

I've run OAL differences in a lf s3, 2 sf s2, 2 sf s3, 4 lf s2... they all showed the same result with what I posted above. Memphis has a point, but when it comes to varying OAL in tanfos... 1.12X runs best. I've done it with 115, 124, 135, 147, and 165 - in rn, fp, and jhp. 

Were all the barrels in these reamed?  Do you think it's b/c of the polygonal rifling?

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm wondering if anyone had done anything resembling a serious accuracy test pre, and post-ream.

I have heard some say that it will NOT affect accuracy, I have heard others say it will.

Do we have any imperial evidence one way or the other?

Reason I ask:
I don't THINK I need mine reamed for the ammo I run, BUT, I have had failures to extract...but ONLY with CCI Blazer ammo.
On any light primer sticker I have had, I don't see any rifling marks. Just wondering if this could be more detriment than helpful in MY case.
I can drop my ammo in...tap in into the barrel, turn the barrel over and the ammo falls out.

@emjei a sloppy-fitted Glock will do that much with ease.

The primary reason I wanted to ream mine is because I like to load really fast powders (clays or N310 behind a 147 anyone?) and I like loading at lengths like 1.160 for the extra case volume.

And a 147 or 150 SWC at 1.070" is REALLY being shoved down into the brass far enough to cause them to bulge. Just often enough to be annoying when gauging your ammo. I find that loading longer is much easier on the brass and the same well-used cases are far more likely to feed right.

Yeah it's gonna be awhile for the ream.  In the meantime I loaded up some dummy rounds to check what OAL my...stock...Stock 2 likes.  Survey says 1.11.  1.12 was about 8 out of 10 that would pass the plunk test.  So I think I'll load up some 1.11 and chrono, then just run with the best recipe until the Bevin is ready to go with new equipment.  I'm running N320 and Acme 124gr coated RN if anyone has a recipe to share.

• 2 months later...