Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 33 round magazines and extended base pad

3 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Prior to purchasing the Taccom extension, I have been using a TF+10 extension on a Glock 33 mag that has been flawless for months.  The only problem with it is that it only holds 40 rounds and this match had several stages in excess of 40 rounds. I will likely continue to use the TF+10 for most stages that are under 35 rounds, which is practically any stage at a normal match.  

40 rounds!!, you plan on missing a lot!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

Just getting started in pcc. Is anyone using the mbx mini or mega extensions? Had good luck with mbx 2011 mags.

I've tried both the MBX mega and Taccom splice and been unable to get either to work. I'm sticking with just +5 extensions; I've used a few different types of them and they all work 100%.

Hello: I am sticking with my +5/6 extensions for now. The Taccom splice has not been 100% and the MBX mini's I have seen have been less than perfect. The +5/6 Dawson, Arredondo and TTI have all worked great. The Arredondo base pads on the Glock factory 33 round mags have worked for over 10 years with the stock springs for me. 36 rounds will get me through any USPSA stage unless there is a mandatory reload. I do have one Taylor Freelance +10 and it works great also. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

I've tried both the MBX mega and Taccom splice and been unable to get either to work. I'm sticking with just +5 extensions; I've used a few different types of them and they all work 100%.

Southpaw,

I have a splice joining (2) ETS 31 round mags and it works fine, although I don't use it much.  The biggest mistake you can make is to over-tighten the screws.  Tim told me to use the correct hex head screwdriver bit, without the screwdriver, to tighten the bolts. That worked for me.

11 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

Southpaw,

I have a splice joining (2) ETS 31 round mags and it works fine, although I don't use it much.  The biggest mistake you can make is to over-tighten the screws.  Tim told me to use the correct hex head screwdriver bit, without the screwdriver, to tighten the bolts. That worked for me.

Thanks for suggestions, but unfortunately I've already tried all that. I tried with the screws barely even snugged down so definitely not too tight and tried both OEM and ETS mags, no dice. Same thing with the MBX extension, I tried everything MBX recommended to try getting it to work and it still wouldn't feed...

At this point I've given up messing with all that stuff and will just stick to what works.

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Thanks for suggestions, but unfortunately I've already tried all that. I tried with the screws barely even snugged down so definitely not too tight and tried both OEM and ETS mags, no dice. Same thing with the MBX extension, I tried everything MBX recommended to try getting it to work and it still wouldn't feed...

At this point I've given up messing with all that stuff and will just stick to what works.

It's the magazines.......I'm telling you....the splices, the MBX extension, the TF's, ours.....they all work. They are very precision made......period.......they work. The problem I am seeing is the Glock mags  other mags.....they all suck!!! . I've bought 6 mags......and in the factory configuration 4 worked......of the 4 that did work.....got one to function with the splice or the extension. It's crap shoot. But I KNOW.....the extensions out there.....ALL OF THEM work.

Why is it......that the MPX, the Colts......basically will work with extensions.....all of them.....but glock? forget it. I'm telling you, you have to find a glock mag that works. That is your problem....not the extension.

Hello: I have seen the Taccom splice not work on a couple of Colt mags as well. It could be the mags but it maybe the extra weight making the mags move around or the mags are just not all in spec. One thing with the Glock mags is that some of them have loose plastic flashing inside the mags, causing all sorts of problems. I have not seen anyone here using the Taccom Sig MPX splice so I can't say how they work. I have also seen the Zev +5/6 base pads work on the Glock factory 33 round mags. Going to see how the PCC's work tomorrow in the 22 degree weather here. I going to shoot my MPX. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have seen the Taccom splice not work on a couple of Colt mags as well. It could be the mags but it maybe the extra weight making the mags move around or the mags are just not all in spec. One thing with the Glock mags is that some of them have loose plastic flashing inside the mags, causing all sorts of problems. I have not seen anyone here using the Taccom Sig MPX splice so I can't say how they work. I have also seen the Zev +5/6 base pads work on the Glock factory 33 round mags. Going to see how the PCC's work tomorrow in the 22 degree weather here. I going to shoot my MPX. Thanks, Eric

You seen what one? two? out of how many? I am in the pits.....I hear the feedback......any others but glock are very rare.......compared to the amount of splices and extensions out there.....the VAST majority are glock.....it's the mag, not whats attached to it. Your statement is invalid  :)

Edited by TRUBL
3 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Says the guy with a gun that only holds 10 rounds ...

If I plan to miss a lot I use the 64 round mag. 

3 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Says the guy with a gun that only holds 10 rounds ...

If I plan to miss a lot I use the 64 round mag. 

Not no more I just joined the CO club.  I now need to see how I can get 22 in a mag.

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

It's the magazines.......I'm telling you....the splices, the MBX extension, the TF's, ours.....they all work. They are very precision made......period.......they work. The problem I am seeing is the Glock mags  other mags.....they all suck!!! . I've bought 6 mags......and in the factory configuration 4 worked......of the 4 that did work.....got one to function with the splice or the extension. It's crap shoot. But I KNOW.....the extensions out there.....ALL OF THEM work.

Why is it......that the MPX, the Colts......basically will work with extensions.....all of them.....but glock? forget it. I'm telling you, you have to find a glock mag that works. That is your problem....not the extension.

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

If I have a mag that works 100% and then add an extension/splice to it and it stops working, I wonder what the problem is...you know Occam's razor and all...

I've been shooting Glocks for close to 20 years now and have never had a bad mag.  I've found Glock mags to be very reliable.

I had trouble with a Mega on a stage at 3GN Nationals. It fed about 10 rounds and then had issues. Later that night I worked on the bottom of the Glock mag a bit more and played around with feeding (pushing the rounds out with my thumb) with different amounts of rounds. I found I needed to "slam" or "knock" the rounds down occasionally as I was loading them to get to a larger quantity that would "feed" properly. It seemed to settle the rounds and I was able to get 50 rounds to work the next day. Have not tried since...

I'm wondering if it is ammo related. I shoot 147gr. FP blue bullets around 1.135" long. Maybe something shorter or with a different bullet profile might work better. What ammo are you trying to use with the Mega? What about others that are having issues?

I have a friend who purchased one of the aforementioned magazine extensions. (Okay, it was the MBX but I think it is irrelevant to the story) Put it on an ETS big stick and it was puke-a-rama city.  Nothing could make it reliable.  Took it off and put it on a factory Glock 33 rounder and it runs perfectly.  Every time.  I realize this is just one/two mags out of 1.8 bazillion so probably not a statistically significant sample but it does raise the question about blaming a single mag manufacturer.  I do think tolerances are greater in the magazines being used than the extensions but that is about as far as I would go.  

9 minutes ago, reg3 said:

I had trouble with a Mega on a stage at 3GN Nationals. It fed about 10 rounds and then had issues. Later that night I worked on the bottom of the Glock mag a bit more and played around with feeding (pushing the rounds out with my thumb) with different amounts of rounds. I found I needed to "slam" or "knock" the rounds down occasionally as I was loading them to get to a larger quantity that would "feed" properly. It seemed to settle the rounds and I was able to get 50 rounds to work the next day. Have not tried since...

I'm wondering if it is ammo related. I shoot 147gr. FP blue bullets around 1.135" long. Maybe something shorter or with a different bullet profile might work better. What ammo are you trying to use with the Mega? What about others that are having issues?

Here's the thread I started when I got the MBX extension and was trying to get it to work; I've since given up http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/256682-mbx-extension-help/.  My normal load is 125gr TC Blue Bullets at 1.135", but I also tried factory RN and had same problem.

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

If I have a mag that works 100% and then add an extension/splice to it and it stops working, I wonder what the problem is...you know Occam's razor and all...

I've been shooting Glocks for close to 20 years now and have never had a bad mag.  I've found Glock mags to be very reliable.

All I know is........I have been getting a lot of crap 33 round mags from Glock lately and from the calls we've been fielding, this what we've found.......the persistent ones find that magazine that works. AND, i used to think.......hey....you gotta have a mag that feeds in factory configuration first.....then you can blame the extension.......from what I am seeing and from what I am fielding on calls......I know that is not the case. Like I say......last batch......6 mags (factory glock)......4 actually fed in factory configuration, 2 did not. Of the 4 that did work......only one worked with the extreme extension, the other 3? who knows.......2 are siting there back in factory config and work......the other one I put a +5 on and it works too.

As for the 20 years thing.......congrats!!.......you are almost as old and experienced as I am. :unsure:

I stand by.....it's most likely NOT the extension.......they are a hell of a lot more accurate than the parent magazine......and THAT is across the board with pretty much all the extensions out there.

Edited by TRUBL
9 hours ago, TRUBL said:

You seen what one? two? out of how many? I am in the pits.....I hear the feedback......any others but glock are very rare.......compared to the amount of splices and extensions out there.....the VAST majority are glock.....it's the mag, not whats attached to it. Your statement is invalid  :)

Tim: I am in the pits and also driving the race car. This is just what I have been seeing around here. One of the other issues I have seen is lowers that allow the mags to flop around too much. Most of the problems I also think is joining two big sticks together. I have had better luck with one 33rd and one 17 round joined together. You make very good products and as you know user error comes into play also so I can't say that some of the problems I have seen here could be just that, user error. Take care old friend. :D Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Tim: I am in the pits and also driving the race car. This is just what I have been seeing around here. One of the other issues I have seen is lowers that allow the mags to flop around too much. Most of the problems I also think is joining two big sticks together. I have had better luck with one 33rd and one 17 round joined together. You make very good products and as you know user error comes into play also so I can't say that some of the problems I have seen here could be just that, user error. Take care old friend. :D Thanks, Eric

Oh I still drive....a lot slower, but I still drive. Yeah....two 33's are, well, some get them to work fine.....but a huge stretch. User error IS a large part as well......but like I say, the trickiest out there is the GLock..

3 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I have a couple......have not been able to get either to run 100% in the AR9........however, they are beast in the KELTEC Sub2000

Switching to your single mega spring was key in making the 33+33 mag work more reliably.

In most cases the mags are fine the extensions are fine it's the transition between the the two. My 33 rd mags work fine until I attach the extension. When I thumb the ammo out it stops after rounds I insert over 33. This is with several different extensions. If you can duplicate the malfunction out of the receiver and the magazine worked previous to the extension......

Keep dremmeling and sanding!