Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB or 550b (9mm only)

I'm looking for input on choosing the right press. I know these have been done a lot but I can't find any threads talking about a press for a single caliber.

My goal is to shoot 1k a month next year so I want to upgrade my press. The turret press is too time consuming. I don't have any interest in loading anything else.

Keeping that in mind, which progressive would be best for me? Dillon SDB or the 550b? Also which can I load faster on? 650 isn't an option because of cost.

Thanks for all the input!!

The 550b is going to offer you the greatest versatility.  You may only want to reload 9mm now but in the future that could change.  If you ever want to reload for rifle, the 550b will accommodate that.  If you ever want to reload for a pistol caliber that Dillon does not offer dies for, the 550b will accommodate that as well.  

I just upgraded from a Lee turret to a 550b and it has been great. I debated going with a SDB, but the lure of other calibers was too much. I just ordered a 223 kit to try it out as well. From what I have seen the resale is good so if you do not like it you do not loose too much.

I have heard good things about the Hornady LnL as well, but will let others comment on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Phlier said:

If you are absolutely positive that you want to stick with loading only the 9mm, I certainly don't see what's not to like about the SDB.

Except you can't add aftermarket dies such as a Udie which is very common. No FCD if you want it. No micrometer seating die. No case feeder. Add the cramped platform compared to the 550 and it becomes an easy choice.

I would go with the 550 as well.  Without the case feeder both will be about the same speed, but the added versatility of the 550 is a bonus IMO.  Both will produce good ammo though.  Good luck

I have both a sdb and a 550.

The sdb is in 45acp. I only use it for 45acp, 200lswc and it has served me well for about 10yrs. It runs a bit slower than the 550 because of the smaller access area when placing brass and bullets.  It seems to have some sharp edges the 550 does not have. No biggie but occasionally I feel them. I wear a size 11 glove so I am challenged by the size.I think... if you were settled on one caliber  and didn't ever plan to change calibers, then it's a fine press. Mine stays on my bench since it is a dedicated .45acp press (Jesus carried a 1911 in .45). Picked mine up used from a ridiculously good price, wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

My 550 is about 18yrs old. Great tool, no issues, easy to swap calibers if your setup with dedicated tool heads. If you need to get into the magic dies to make your loads run, the 550 would be easier. I load 8 handgun calibers and a few rifle calibers on my 550. Very satisfied with Dillon.

I too only load 9 and shoot 1000-1500 per month.  I can't say anything about the Sdb, but I can say after 2 years of loading on the 550 I really wish I had popped for the 650.  Get it basic and add the toys later, you will never regret the time you save.  A Dillon is a solid investment, find a way to spend the extra and get the best you can upfront.  In the end, I will probably end up buying the 650 in addition to my 550, so over the long run buying the 550 will end up costing me more than if I just bought the 650 to begin with.  

I started with a SQDB with the intentions to only load 9mm for USPSA Production. Well, after winning a limited gun, I decided to add the .40 cal conversion. 

One of my things that I always saw myself wanting was a case feeder. I recently found a good deal on a 650. This was the best decision I have made yet in reloading. For the extra amount of money go with the 650. I saw myself as only loading 1 caliber because almost all my guns were in 9mm. Now I am loading 9 and .40. I see myself adding .223 to that list sooner or later. If you can only swing one or the other I say the SQDB, but if it is at all possible go with the 650 and add the bells and whistles over time.

I have a 650 and wish it were a 1050. When I started shooting I luckly took some good advice and decided to spend more money into practice then fancy guns. That practice is made possible by the ease of loading more fast. I've used a 550 with and with out a case feeder. With the case feeder it's not too bad. Without it kinda sucks. And the price difference between the 550 and 650 isn't the biggest ethier. When it comes to reloading believe the hype, buy the biggest baddest you can. When it comes to gear be hesitant of the hype practice is key. 

Edited by Mully383

8 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Does the 550b use the same case feeder as the 650?

No it's a different setup. I currently use a 550 with no case feeder for 9mm. However I use 2 650's 1 large primer setup for 45 ACP, one small primer setup for 38 special. I have the 650 case feeder and just put it on the 650 I'm loading on. I also use the 550 for small lots of rifle ammo.

Edited by GR8GIFT

6 hours ago, kro77 said:

The 550 case feeder has a different part number than 650. Would be cool if it could be swapped between the units.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They are different, but the same essentially.  They differ in mounting and tube design.  The upper section is essentially the same, so you could order one ie for the 650 and then pickup the mounting bits and and tube setup for the other press and swap the upper motor/bowl back back and forth.  The 550 CF is a single speed motor, the 1050 is a dual speed, not sure if the 650 is single or dual though.

When I got back into reloading (had used a 650 before some years ago), I though long and hard about just buying two SBD's, one in 45 and one in 9mm,  Figured that was all I would ever reload, setup them up for a standard load and never have to adjust/touch then other than loading and cleaning.  But, as things usually go, initial plans don't stick, and i wound up loading other calibers as well, including 10mm, revolver ammo, and now working on some long-ish range 556 as well..  Anyway, instead of the SDB's I decided to go 550 and then later added a 1050 as well, and to be honest if bonus's are decent this year I might pick up a 2nd 1050 as well :).  So while you may only ever load 9mm, there's always that chance things will change :).

Plus's of the SDB, pretty much dialed in after initial setup, progressive, and lower cost.
Minus's, locked into pistol, much smaller work area, no ability to use standard dies.

550 gets you much more flexibility, ie takes any dies, allows way more calibers for pistol and adds rifle as well, ability to add casefeeder.
550 minus you lose progressive, that is plus or minus depending on one's point of view.  550 CF design is also a bit of an afterthought, so if casefeeding is something you want, better just to save a bit longer and go to the 650, especially if starting anew.  The 550 CF make sense for guys who already have 550 and a bunch of calibers/dies/conversion kits already, but if starting fresh the 650 is the way to go.

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Except you can't add aftermarket dies such as a Udie which is very common. No FCD if you want it. No micrometer seating die. No case feeder. Add the cramped platform compared to the 550 and it becomes an easy choice.

This^^^^^^^

If you load a lot you will start wanting different dies. Personally I like the Redding Comp Seating Die and I use the Redding Comp resizing Die. Since I load coated bullets I use the Dillon crimp die, BUT when I change to jacketed bullets I go with a Lee FCD. The 550B just given you more versatility and it seems to have better resale value.

I am a 550 fan boy, because I load too many calibers. Besides the above mentioned, as explained to me by dillon, the difference is like comparing a car with automatic transmisson to a stick, I have an old jeep so not a problem. And that automatic is in a sub compact. Once I load up the primer tubes, I can put out an easy 400 rounds an hour, 500 if the zen is really good that day.

I have both, an old 1986 550 and a 16 year old SD I got as match product. Both are currently setup for 9mm, but if it was for only 9mm, and nothing else, the SD. It's a little faster to load to, but of course, the 550 can do pistol and rifle using standard dies.

image37461.jpg

Edited by 9x45

7 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

I'm going  with the 550b  to use different dies and potential upgrades like a case feeder.

Two excellent reasons to go with the 550    :bow:

Don't buy your dies until some 9mm 550 people chime in - they

usually end up with a different die mfgr in each station ...   <_<

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Two excellent reasons to go with the 550    :bow:

Don't buy your dies until some 9mm 550 people chime in - they

usually end up with a different die mfgr in each station ...   <_<

I am still doing my 9mm with dillon dies. The only mod I made was a grind job on the sizing die to remove buldges in brass. My thought would be to order your new press with the full dillon 9mm set-up. Once you get rolling you will figure out what you actually need, if you need to change anything.

10 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to go with the 550b for the option to use different dies and potential for upgrades like a case feeder.

Any recommendations for dies? Dillon?

Dillon makes great presses but only good dies in my opinion. I bought a full set when I bought my press but within 6 months had replaced them all with other brands. I run EGW, Redding and LEE. All are much better dies than Dillon for various reasons. 

If I were starting over I would just buy LEE and go from there.