Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Detonations

The commonest causes on the XL650 are:

Trying to seat primers into crimped primer pockets

Trying to seat large primers into small primer pockets, usually 45ACP.

If the primer seater has backed out of the bottom of the platform, then as the primer disc rotates, primers will roll onto their side. Attempting to seat it can sometimes set it off.

56 minutes ago, dillon said:

The commonest causes on the XL650 are:

Trying to seat primers into crimped primer pockets

Trying to seat large primers into small primer pockets, usually 45ACP.

If the primer seater has backed out of the bottom of the platform, then as the primer disc rotates, primers will roll onto their side. Attempting to seat it can sometimes set it off.

the only primer I've set off in ~30k rounds reloaded on my XL650 was with a 9mm brass with a crimped primer pocket.  It went in canted and then went off as I completed my push stroke.  Developing a good feel for the push stroke to seat the primer is definitely a must. 

In 100k on various dillons, I blew 1 on my 650.  My fault absolutely.  Primer wouldnt seat, left hand reached up to rotate brass possibly allowing it to seat but my right hand just slammed handle down.  Boom.  Felt it on my left fingers but otherwise nothing.  Still dont know why I did that but havent done it again in maybe 45k or so since.  Plan to NOT do it again.  lol

2 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

In 100k on various dillons, I blew 1 on my 650.  My fault absolutely.  Primer wouldnt seat, left hand reached up to rotate brass possibly allowing it to seat but my right hand just slammed handle down.  Boom.  Felt it on my left fingers but otherwise nothing.  Still dont know why I did that but havent done it again in maybe 45k or so since.  Plan to NOT do it again.  lol

From your description, it sounds like it was a 550, not a 650

Had my first primer go off. Small primer .45 case got into a very large batch that was thought to be well sorted. I also learned that there is a large and small primer seater. I've only loaded small till this .45 so it was news to me. I think that had a contribution to why they seater was able to set it off so easily. I'm usually quick to stop when there's extra force.

It's not unheard of on a 650, that's for sure. I have a 650 and when I called Dillon about ordering some dies we started to shoot the chit...the guy told me they get two to three calls a week about blowing the primers out the top of the tube. I have ordered more than a few things since then and each time I ask about primers blowing up...all the sales guys tell the same story...and it happens for all the reasons listed above and a few more. No one gets hurt but the it makes a mess.,,,and Dillon never even winces about sending out the new parts , pronto. Quite a company. 

13 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

From your description, it sounds like it was a 550, not a 650

Nope was my 650.  started pressing primer, it didnt go, held pressure, reached up to turn brass & suddenly my arm decided to slam lever down.  ???? Was stupid & entirely my fault.  oh well, thats why we wear safety glasses.... just in case.  

Only had it once happen to me, on the 550 before I upgraded to the 650. This because the priming arm had a worn out cup. Dillon exchanged it for a brand new one (thanks, Looch!).

I ... just... upgraded to the 650. No tale to tell yet.

By the way, it just reminded me of when cap guns were popular and perfectly fine to offer to your kids. Smelled and sounded just the same.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Three times on a 1050 for me. All a result of trying to cram a primer into a pocket with the remnants of an old primer still in there (Center got punched out leaving a ring). I've since learned to feel when that happens and pull the offending cartridge out of the shell plate (at the swage station).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by tyler2you

I just had one a couple of weeks ago.

I was using crappy range pick up brass, lots of it with the DRT head stamp. Which when I prepped the brass constantly had sticking primers. Well now it was being difficult to prime.

I was also at an overseas match using someone else's 650, and Federal primers where as at home I use CCI. Toward the end of my thousand round loading session, I was getting tried and frustrated and I just slammed the handle forward. The pop was quite loud in the trailer.

i had one early on. blew plastic follower into the ceiling of my garage in a curly-q pigtail shape. primer magazine tube was bulged. plastic locator tab in pieces.

i had guesses back then about how it might of happened but now with more experience i'm sure i was wrong. so now i can't say for sure how i think it happened but i know that it did, and it was probably my fault. (which i didn't want to accept or believe when it happened)

16 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

Nope was my 650.  started pressing primer, it didnt go, held pressure, reached up to turn brass & suddenly my arm decided to slam lever down.  ???? Was stupid & entirely my fault.  oh well, thats why we wear safety glasses.... just in case.  

I think the part in bold is what's causing the confusion... reached up to turn brass in a 650? Was your auto shell plate advance not working?

I haven't popped a primer while reloading since 1984. Knock on wood.

I think the part in bold is what's causing the confusion... reached up to turn brass in a 650? Was your auto shell plate advance not working?

I haven't popped a primer while reloading since 1984. Knock on wood.

I think he means that was literally trying to rotate the one piece of brass being primed, not indexing the shell plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he means that was literally trying to rotate the one piece of brass being primed, not indexing the shell plate.

Sometimes an off center primer pocket can cause difficulty seating a primer, rotating the case 90 degrees can make seating easier.

Friend of mine nearly lost an eye due to a piece of the primer pocket striking his eyeball when it detonated during reloading. I wear safety glasses now 100% of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Most of these primer detonations are due to Forcing the primer.   If it feels like it doesn't want to go in there, DON'T DO IT !  

I have had my XL650 now for 10 years and a 550b before that for 18yrs and have never had one of those detonations !

• 4 weeks later...

I've had 3.  2 were on a 650 and I was cranking on the lever too hard with crimped primer pockets.  The other was today on my 1050.  A primer didn't decap.   When it tried to seat a primer on the spent cap about 30 primers blew.  Wow, that was loud!  I use an auto drive and didn't feel it bind.

I was glad to have on eyes and ears!

I had a friend that had a part time reloading business. I dropped a tube of primers into his 1050, and the last primer sat cocked at the top of the primer tube on the machine. He touched it with his finger and a static charge hit the primer setting it and the rest of the tube off. Blew off a chunk of his right index finger, middle finger, and a anvil went in his eye. He lost that eye. I won't touch my press or handle primers without safety glasses on.

1 hour ago, The Donald said:

the last primer sat cocked at the top of the primer tube. He touched it with his finger and a static charge hit the primer setting it and the rest of the tube off.

I've had the last primer sit cocked, also - never thought of "static" setting it off.

Thanks for the post - I'll watch out for that from now on.    :)