Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 31 (357 Sig) in Limited?

davsco

My bet is other than guys shooting one they happen to have nobody is setting up to actually compete with one.
I have a 31 and with major PF ammo it is quite snappy and in my opinion not the best tool for the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, SpaceMan said:

I don't know who shoots it but I know someone does, I cant tell you how many stray pieces of .357 I have found while reloading .40.

Exactly. Seems like a good idea if you want people to start hating you. 

8 hours ago, davsco said:

Yeah thinking not super competitive against the 2011s and .40 but good opportunity  to get more acquainted with SD or HD gun.

If that's the purpose, I wouldn't do any mods or upgrades unless they benefit the SD/HD role.

I've been running my G31 carry guns since they first were approved for Major. But I don't know why anyone would set one up just for the game. 125s going 1,350 are allot snappier than any 40S&W load. Probably going to switch to 147s when I run out of the 125s so it's not so brutal. 

I ran my 31 for the last half day of a competition shooting class after a day and a half of shooting a G17, the instructor was quite surprised when after lunch suddenly what appeared to be the same gun I had been shooting for two days started throwing basketball sized fireballs. Only did it because my press broke the week before the class and I didn't have enough 9mm loaded up, but I did ammo for my Open Glock I think the load was 12 ish grains of AA9 and a 125g Montana gold the fireball was so big I would loose sight of the target, oddly with a comped gun there is no fireball. 

Yea, I shot a G22 in Limited for several years before going with G31's for carry. But I'll tell you what,  the 40S&W in 180's and 200's are allot softer than any 125 in .357SIG. My hand hurts after just 2 stages..... There is no advantage to the 357 in the games.

Edited by 9x45

16 hours ago, bthoefer said:

Seems like the easy compromise would be to pick up a 40 cal barrel. Just use 40 for sport and swap the 357 Sig barrel back in afterwards. 

Plus 1. .357 sig is a lot harder to find brass for also, and since it's only a barrel change away....

Plus 1. .357 sig is a lot harder to find brass for also, and since it's only a barrel change away....

Brass is easy just throw 40sw in the size die and you are good to go. Only problem is all your friends will hate you for messing up their brass

1 minute ago, mwx40x40 said:

I thought USPSA limited major also required minimum caliber of .400?

I believe they changed it to allow 357 sig. It isn't an advantage in mag capacity a makes major from the factory.

21 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Brass is easy just throw 40sw in the size die and you are good to go. Only problem is all your friends will hate you for messing up their brass

lol no way, you can crimp down a .40 to fit a .357 and have it fire in the barrel?

11 hours ago, dansedgli said:

You could load 160 or 180 grain projectiles but it's still snappy. 

Don't know of any 180gr 9mm, but no not really because the .357SIG is pretty much restricted to 125s and 140s of a certain shape because of the short neck and constrained by the OAL.  Not all 125's work either. On the left, 125JHP Montana Gold 9mm bullet, works great and OAL is standard at 1.140"  On the right, 125 Bayou, seated to 1.155"  Tried them out to 1.175" to pickup the full bullet diameter, ahead of the taper, and while it would chamber, it wouldn't feed in the magazine. For a Glock mag, 1.155" is max to feed. So you can see the Bayous are not the right shape for the .357SIG. Standard 125 gr 9mms don't work at all because of the shape. There is only .150" of neck length to press.

image37446.jpg

image37447.jpg

danse, oh, you are talking about an STI, never get that round in a small frame G31 magazine, should work in a G20 10mm though (1.250" OAL) with a conversion barrel, darn, and here I went and sold mine.....  Seems like there is hardly room for powder though.

Above is our 185grn RN .357 SIG loading (IPSC MAJOR PF) for the STI / SVI pistols

Note: This load will only function with the STI/SVI type pistols due to its overall length.

357SIG_3.jpg