Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match pistol advice?

heli03

Hello all,

I going to be attending my first USPSA match in a few weeks. I will be shooting in limited/minor and would like to know which one of my pistols would be best. I will either be shooting a Tanfoglio Elite Match .38 Super or a Beretta 9mm.  I am proficient at shooting both pistols. The Elite Match is more accurate and a softer shooter.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by heli03

I agree with the above but keep in mind you will most likely lose a good portion of your brass. I would rather lose 9mm than 38 super! If you get hooked like most do you will most likely want to shoot the 9mm so you may as well start with it.

I remember the conversation I had when I decided to do my first match. Asked my gunsmith / competitor guru about which gun, holster, mags, blah blah blah. He said just use what you are most comfortable with and have fun, because you won't be winning anything. He then told me that my first job was to go slow and be safe, don't do anything dumb like throw the gun down range while attempting a speed draw, and to make sure I get invited back.

Use your first match as a learning experience about the game, not the equipment. And watch out for the adrenalin dump after you shoot your first stage. Follow the ro's commands, and don't take too much advice your first few times out. Focus on safe gun handling, and all we will be good.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

First match just have fun and don't get DQed. So use whichever gun you feel you know better. The only thing you might consider is if you have more mags for one gun use that. I see new shooters all the time that will run out of mags and not be able to finish a stage.

7 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

And watch out for the adrenalin dump after you shoot your first stage. Follow the ro's commands

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

This is a great point. Alot of guys rush showing clear and fumble or drop their mag on the ground. Then they bend down and try to pick it up while muzzling everything in sight

Shoot really fast and don't miss.  

But seriously, TAKE YOUR TIME.  You are going to see a lot of guys really burning it up.  Don't try to keep up.  Shot your own stages at your own pace. Once you have some experience under your belt you can start speeding up.  

The soft shooting has value but after the beep you won't even notice the recoil.  I have tried a bone stock H&K 45, 10mm in limited and S&W 625 .45 in matches and not once did I notice the recoil.  In fact on one stage with the 10mm (not powder puff loads, around 207 PF factory rounds) I started inexplicably (more than just that I suck) missing.  I kept easing off the grip thinking I was pulling the gun with the trigger to the point that I limp wristed and stovepiped on the fourth try.  Recoil never entered my mind.  Down the road it will matter but you will change your mind on what you want to shoot a zillion times before then.  I would go with the most reliable and then cheapest comfortable option to start.  Be safe and have fun.  Plus, slow and smooth is fast.  You want to start training your muscles with the proper technique and if you do that the speed will come.  We like to have new shooters so just remember for now that your only competition is yourself.  It is way more fun that it looks and is instantly addictive.

And welcome!

Take the pistol you are the most comfortable with, have a holster for, and a sufficient number of magazines. It sounds like you are better with the Elite Match. You aren't going to win your first match. Take your time at the first match. Have fun and make sure you are paying attention to what you are doing to avoid getting DQed. 

If after the match you are still not 100% sure on what pistol you want to use then run the other pistol at the next match. Nothing says that you have to continue using the same pistol.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, Sarge said:

I agree with the above but keep in mind you will most likely lose a good portion of your brass. I would rather lose 9mm than 38 super! If you get hooked like most do you will most likely want to shoot the 9mm so you may as well start with it.

+1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this question I am new as well and the advice will be helpful for me as well. I am nervous but I don't expect to win anytime soon so that helps. I plan to just go have fun and make sure I really pay attention and learn for the first few matches

I had some guys let me finish some stages with them awhile back and I shot what I had with me.  A M&P9.  These guys were even nice enough to give me enough ammo to finish with them.  I'm going back to enter the next time they have one.  Super folks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 0:45 PM, heli03 said:

Hello all,

I going to be attending my first USPSA match in a few weeks. I will be shooting in limited/minor and would like to know which one of my pistols would be best. I will either be shooting a Tanfoglio Elite Match .38 Super or a Beretta 9mm.  I am proficient at shooting both pistols. The Elite Match is more accurate and a softer shooter.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would suggest doing some dry fire with both and see which one is easier to manipulate (safety, mag release, slide stop) and go from there. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!  Don't even think of running your first few times.  Ask lots of questions and listen, make sure you tell your RO or MD it's your first time and help setup, paste, paint, and breakdown. You'll get more help than you want if you're a good guy and fellow competitors will get you set up with anything you need. Make sure to bring double the ammo needed for that day, reshoots, dropped mags, bad ammo. Get a checklist of the basics (gun, ammo, mags, eye and ear, gun bag or original box, water bottle, snack bars, cleaning cloth if mags are dirty) and don't do anything with out being told i.e. I bagging your gun. It's a great sport with great people and you'll be hooked!  Have fun and be SAFE.