Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 or Gen 4

Dberm118

I'm not a huge glock person but will be buying a g34 for 3 gun. My question for you experienced glock folks is what gen is better. I understand many people like the adjustable backstraps on the gen 4 but mechanically is either one more reliable or better than the other?

Thanks!

Gen3 for me. When I bought mine there were far fewer aftermarket parts and accessories for the Gen4s compared to the Gen3s. Also, like Marshal said, I don't have the need for changeable back straps cause I remove the finger grooves, undercut and thin most any Glock grip I'm gonna shoot anyways. 

38 minutes ago, Dberm118 said:

So if I had the option to get a gen 4 at the $500 dollar range I should do that vs. a gen 3?

Shooter preference, brother. I say try before you buy so you can be sure what you perform better with, especially if you're gonna be running it in competition. 

To me, shooter preference.  I much prefer the Gen4 for the beavertail backstraps and the magazine release.  There are some parts differences, however I have not had a problem getting what I needed.

For someone with smaller hands and a lefty.  Gen4 no question.  You can swap the mag release to left ONLY ongen 4. Not gen 3.

I do have to remember though to ask folks if they got a gen3 if they need to borrow mine when theirs goes south. Oops[emoji15]

I don't think there's anything that makes a gen4 more reliable than a gen3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen 4, big pro is the backstraps.  Big con is the trigger bar shape is sh!tty garbage at best.

Gen 3 big pros are the trigger bar shape approaches perfection and the after-market factory extended mag release is spectacular.  Only con is no back straps.

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to gen3 34 maybe 35..

stopped into my LGS to check out the 34 and compare it between the 17 as I've had a very hard time deciding on going 4.5 or 5.3". I was also looking at 35/22 .

What are the opinions on going 35 and getting the 9mm conv. barrel since I will be using this for 3 gun I'm not concerned with uspsa legality as it does not pertain to my situation.

By the way the feel of the long slide is really nice and I can see how one could get used to that. especially jumping from a 4" gun.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Edited by Dberm118

Marshal,

the 17/22 at 4.5" is another .5" on top of my current platform ( xd service ) which I have noticed a big difference in shooting.. like I said I went into this not liking the comfort of a glock. however I've noticed how much more precise and accurate I am with the platform.

Because I have some grip shaping and stippling experience now, I'm confident I can adapt the glock to my liking so I'm rather set on going 5.3" with the 34 I have lost interest in 17/22 and have pretty much decided on 34. Just keeping an open mind as to the option and versatility of the 35.

Thanks.

Gen 3. I have gen 4's but may sell for gen 3's because they have much better triggers. I'm picky about triggers and gen 3's have lighter and crisper triggers all else being equal. They are more reliable too when you start swapping springs because of the geometry. 

My Gen4 G19 has been my most shootable Glock so far. The grip and mag release make a big difference for me.

Mods: Trijcon HD sights, Ghost connector + spring, Gen3 trigger bar, Apex trigger. 

Yesterday I was shooting it better than my CZ75 Tactical Sports (poor range visibility).

Edited by Lior

On 9/20/2016 at 1:34 PM, Dberm118 said:

Marshal,

the 17/22 at 4.5" is another .5" on top of my current platform ( xd service ) which I have noticed a big difference in shooting.. like I said I went into this not liking the comfort of a glock. however I've noticed how much more precise and accurate I am with the platform.

Because I have some grip shaping and stippling experience now, I'm confident I can adapt the glock to my liking so I'm rather set on going 5.3" with the 34 I have lost interest in 17/22 and have pretty much decided on 34. Just keeping an open mind as to the option and versatility of the 35.

Thanks.

There is no physical difference in shape or size between 34 & 35.  If you dont want to shoot .40, no reason to buy .40 & convert it to 9mm.  

Personally, I prefer the Gen 4's for the mag release and the grip even w/out the smaller/larger back strap to me feels better, in stock form anyway.  I haven't messed with stippling. 

I have a G35 gen4 and a G22 Gen3.  The recoil spring in the Gen4 seems much beefier as well. 

However, if you are going to mod up the grip with stippling etc...  then you can just as easily add a Gen4 mag release button while your goofing about and then the Gen differences to me practically vanish.  Recoil springs are cheap and they don't seem to be an issue with earlier gens.  Moving forward though I'll buy Gen4's just to keep things more similar in parts/spares.

I myself was back and forth on G34/35 but I got a decent deal on a police trade like new G35 with night sights and for me even in day light, I pickup the sights a lot better vs the factory glock sights which to me are just atrocious.  My plan was to get a 9mm conversion barrel which I did.  Haven't shot it yet as tbh the g35 shooting reload 40 is about like shooting a smaller gun with hot factory 9.  So since I reload, I just prefer the 40 almost as for whatever reason I tend to shoot it a bit more accurately(mental thing I'm sure).  Both are great, but the 35 u can get a conversion barrel to go to 9mm.  The G34 you can't convert up to a 40.  That's what sold, and the good deal on the police trade with NS.