Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to realoding

I have the opportunity to purchase a Dillon Square Deal B brand new with 9mm caliber set, and a 40 s&w conversion (no new powder charge setup)  I have ZERO experience with this setup or reloading in general.  The price is under $400 for everything,

What I'm asking is, is the SDB worth even buying?

Is it worth saving up for a 650?

I would only be loading 9 and 40. 

any help would be awesome!!  

forgot to mention, its the SDB with spare parts kit, bullet tray, strongmount, tool holder with wrenches, and 4 small pickup tubes.

everything is new in the box never even setup.

Item

Price
Quantity
Total
Dillon Square Deal B
Dillon Square Deal B (Dillon SDB)
Options:
  • Caliber Type: 9mm
Price: $389.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $389.95
SDB Spare Parts Kit
Price: $21.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $21.95
Dillon Strong Mounts Square Deal Mount
Price: $64.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $64.95
Square Deal B toolholder with Wrench Set
Price: $26.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $26.95
Dillon 4 Small pick up tubes
Price: $23.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $23.95
Dillon SDB Caliber Conversion Kit
Price: $87.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $87.95
Square Deal 'B' Toolhead
Price: $31.95
Qty:

Remove
Total: $31.95
Shipping Options
Zip Code      
Rates apply to the United States.

Shipping    Provide ZIP Code
Note: 2nd Day Air is only delivered Monday - Friday.
Order Summary
Sub Total: $689.60
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $689.60
Edited by Nick179
forgot to add parts list

The price isn't that much of a saving (a new SDB is under $400 with one caliber). but used isn't an issue with the lifetime warranty, so now it's a matter of deciding if the SDB is the right press for you. Lots of people are perfectly satisfied with the SDB, even thought the dies are proprietary. The question I would ask myself is "What kind of volume am I going to shoot?" If it's a few hundred a month, I'd get a 550, if it was a couple of thousand a month, the SDB might be right, anything over that you need to consider a 650 or a 1050. I use a 650 and it fits my needs. Tough question, at least you have the right brand.

$700 worth of stuff for $400 is a very good deal by my math!

SDB is a good press but it limits your options down the road.

no casefeeder

no bulletfeeder

no special dies like u die, FCD, micrometer seating die, powder check, etc

I have owned 2 SDBs, loaded 5 different calibers with them and if your can live with the restrictions that it is a straight wall pistol only set-up. For that package and price I say get yes. You can't buy a used SDB for less than $280 much less that set-up. The SDB is no slouch when it comes to production if ergonomically set up. I could easily crank out 400-500 an hour of 9mm. The 650 however will do 800-1000 an hour, has standard industry dies so is more versatile. The nice thing about the SDB is the small footprint and if you maintain it properly very reliable.  

I love my SDB - can reload 200 - 250 rounds/hour, easily -

Whether YOU love it, depends on how many rounds you plan on loading/month

and how much time you can devote to reloading ...  e.g.  if you shoot 1,000 rounds/month

and you can spend 2 hours / week, you're set.   But, if you can spend only one hour/month,

you need a faster machine -

Look at Dillon's catalog - it tells you how many rounds/hour you can load - cut those in half

and you'll be in the actual ball park, when you consider loading primers, powder, mistakes,

loading your ammo into boxes, etc.

I only plan on loading 9mm to minimum PF and 40 to major PF and that's it.  I would devote about 4 hours 2 times a week to reloading. I'm not so much moved by volume but by quality.  I want to make my own match ammo.  going to the range for me is about 500-750 rounds a month from april-september, I would load and dryfire all winter here.  I really just want an easy to use setup that I can go downstairs and pull the handle on, since I've never reloaded not having a bullet or case feeder wont be a deal breaker, plus I figure if I really like reloading I could keep this as backup or sell and then get the 650 or 1050.

I used a SD for many thousands of rounds. For $400 that is a great price. It will make consistent, quality ammo at a decent pace. The only reason I upgraded was I wanted a case feeder and possibly a bullet feeder in the future as I wanted to spend my time shooting ammo not making ammo. You I'll not be disappointed with the quality of the press or the ammo it produces. It is limited as no case or bullet feeder options and it uses proprietary dies.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nick179 said:

I  plan on loading  40 to major PF . I'm not moved by volume but by quality. 

Loading 9mm minor is easy on a SDB.

Loading .40 Major is tricky - I'd prefer to use tighter sizing dies to eliminate bullet setback,

which is very dangerous at those pressures.

I'd suggest a 550 for .40 Major.    :) 

49 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Loading 9mm minor is easy on a SDB.

Loading .40 Major is tricky - I'd prefer to use tighter sizing dies to eliminate bullet setback,

which is very dangerous at those pressures.

I'd suggest a 550 for .40 Major.    :) 

I agree. With the 550, you can use any dies out there...except the dies for a SDB...

You can buy good used 550s out there for $400 or less, so if that is your price point, go for that. in my area there is someone selling a Dillon refurbished 550 for $375. Obviously it comes with no extras, but it will do a lot more and can use most any die.

7 minutes ago, 53_moredoor_belair said:

correct me if I'm wrong, cause im still learning about the reloading stuff, but doesn't the 550 use proprietary dies that cant be used on the 650 press?

I am correcting you.  SDB is the only dillon to use proprietary dies.  550 650 1050 & most other brands & presses can all use the same dies.  Not so with SDB.  They fit SDB only.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:26 PM, mlmiller1 said:

I am correcting you.  SDB is the only dillon to use proprietary dies.  550 650 1050 & most other brands & presses can all use the same dies.  Not so with SDB.  They fit SDB only.

Ah, Ok thank you for clearing that up for me.

If you ever want to load rifle down the road, go with at least a 550. I've had my 550 since the mid 80s, and got the SQ as match product in 2000. Both are good presses. Lots of my hoser buddies have 650s and 1050s, with case feeders and bullet feeders, but I still like my old 550 the best.

image37341.jpg

Seemed like a good deal on a Square Deal, but I am in the same boat. I bought my Square Deal in March, and going to buy a used 650 Tuesday. I am shooting more than ever since I started reloading, and really want to add a case feeder. I think the Square Deal is a great press, but like everyone else said, it depends how much you plan to shoot. 

I passed on the SDB and I'll just stash the cash till I find a nice 650 setup near me or just order one from Dillon. On that note is the case feeder for the 650 really worth the $350 at first?  I'd like to get loading soon but that extra money could be powder and primers. 

Good decision IMO to pass on the SDB. I went through the exact same dilemma recently and debated a SDB. Very happy I picked up the 650 instead. 

Not sure where you are getting $350 for the case feeder...

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3189 - 219.99

I would get the case feeder to start with, you will get it eventually and it makes reloading much more enjoyable. If you are like me, you'll end up with a MR bullet feeder sooner rather than later as well.

On a side note, I would skip dillon dies. You will end up getting different ones eventually. I started with the dillon dies and they don't resize far enough down the case to fix some range brass. 

I am running a lee undersize carbide sizing die (EGW u-die seems to be even better than the lee reading other threads on this forum. The lee is infinitely better than the dillon), redding micrometer comp seating die (not necessary, but nice to be able to adjust OAL w/o moving die), and lee FCD. 

8 hours ago, Nick179 said:

I passed on the SDB and I'll just stash the cash till I find a nice 650 setup near me or just order one from Dillon. On that note is the case feeder for the 650 really worth the $350 at first?  I'd like to get loading soon but that extra money could be powder and primers. 

In my opinion the 650 is a waste without the case feeder. It is literally made for a case feeder.

Buy the SDB, primers, and powder now and get loading.

Start saving money and if you decide a 650 is really what you want, you can sell the SDB for about what you paid for it when you can afford the 650.

I run my .40 cases through a Bulge Buster on a $20.00 single stage press prior to loading on a SDB

You could easily do 500-750 rounds a month in a couple of evenings.

My error meant $250 with large pistol plate.  I'm gonna try the 650 with a case feeder and see what happens. If I don't like it I have 30 days to return. I'll probably buy from Dillon unless a sweetheart deal falls into my lap. 

Grafs has the large pistol for the same price ($220)

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3190

they have a flat 8$ per order shipping. If you look around I'm sure there are other vendors who have similar deals (or better). May be slightly less expensive than getting it from Dillon direct unless you are picking it up from Dillon directly and even then you are saving on tax.