Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mounted optic.

jeremy kemlo

looking to mill the slide on an sp01 for an optic. To shoot carry optics. That is the best optic?

I was thinking delta point pro, or rm06 at the top of the list or maybe Burris fast fire, or vortex viper. 

This gun will be used for many years to come so I don't mind, too much, paying more to get a better optic.  Which one will last on the slide and offer the most advantage?

37 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

I have a vortex venom on a p09 love it 1000 rounds no problems yet. Burris fast fire 3 only made it 200 rounds second one only 1 round and glass cracked

Have you been able to compare the venom to either the delta point pro or the Trijicon Rmr?

17 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

I would go with the RMR06 or the DeltaPoint Pro and try Mark Housel at L&M Precision Gunworks http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ for the machine work.  Mark might very well be able to get you an optic for a very good price.

My experience with him has been 100% satisfactory.

Is that what you did?  Looking for a photo of such work.

3 minutes ago, CGoodwin said:

I wonder which would be better, the slide mount or a frame mount? Less movement with the frame mount seems like it would be more consistent. What am I missing with all of the slide mounted optics?

Slide mounted optics are legal in Carry Optics, frame mounted optics are not, you'll notice Mose Open shooters use frame mounted optics for the reasons you're thinking of.

1 hour ago, CGoodwin said:

Well there it is! Never tried either, but I assume there is a speed benefit similar to my Aimpoint T-2 over iron sights.

Iron vs red dot

Under 12 yards the dot is negligable benefit for speed, the iron sight shooters are shooting their front sight like a red dot. You can see stages run like that where the limited shooters aren't giving anthing anything away to an open shooter. 15 yards and over the red dot really shines as you don't have to be hard on sights like iron sight shooter.

Open vs CO

The frame mounted red dot for Open will let dot stay pretty stable, then the guns compensator may keep gun pretty flat, so overally the dot is can be stable shot to shot. With slide mounted red dot, the optic gets 'busy' while slide is cycling, kind of like a squiggly starburst when you are watching that is overlayed you sight picture.

On 9/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, mro111lland said:

I have a vortex venom on a p09 love it 1000 rounds no problems yet. Burris fast fire 3 only made it 200 rounds second one only 1 round and glass cracked

I tried the Vortex Viper but the dot kept shutting off. I'm trying the Burris Fast Fire III and so far so good. I'm up to around 500 rounds or so. What happened to your first one?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine back from czc. Sp-01 slide milled for docter. I thought they would have the pins for indexing the dot in the slide but it's just a flat cut with taped holes. The cut is spot on and the dot fits very snug front to back. The FPB hole is totally exposed and the underside of my docter is skeltonized so the FPB spring really concerns me pushing on a little bit of material that has a hole and isn't flat. I bought flat shim stock which is .12 thick and cut a piece to put down as sort of a shim and it works great. The dot and spring sit on a flat surface now. 

I am happy with the work and it's well done. I knew the FPB would be exposed before I sent it out. CZ doesn't have good options for mounts so milling was best 

• 4 months later...