Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New California laws and Steel Challenge

danjordan78

Went last year, but the new laws go too far. Canceling tickets and hotel reservations next week. Needs to be moved from California permanently and I hope USPSA figures that out. Went last year because there were ways around it, but not anymore.

Hope to see you all in Georgia for the Steel Nationals next spring!

I was wondering the same thing. I have been trying to find 10 round STI 2011 mags, but nobody has them. I haven't read much about the new Cali laws, but I wonder if that would even be legal, especially since I am from out of state?

Backing out of the match this year to make a statement does nothing to help those of us who live in California. The USPSA can certainly decide going forward to hold matches elsewhere, but you will do a great disservice to those who have already invested in match preparation by pulling out. If you do decide to back out why not donate your "savings" to the NRA because as California goes so goes the country.

South River Gun Club in Covington, Ga should be the match every year.

20 minutes from atlanta airport, a zillion hotels, 10 mniutes away from Atlanta Arms (could ship your ammo there)

can park 200 cars, has 26 pistol bays, Air conditioned clubhouse easily seats 100 people, flat panel tv's, big clean modern restrooms.

I know they are commited to California, but get the hell out of that state, Geez..

Edited by bigtimelarry

You are the ones that choose to live there. Not me. We all make choices. I applaud companies like Barret that refuse to even do business with the state. Maybe if other gun companies pulled out and the law enforcement organizations couldn't secure firearms, now THAT would make a statement.

I will stick to the other states in the West that support our sports. I went last year and it was a very well run match indeed. If I shot single stack, production, or revo I would still come. Since I shoot limited and open though, it's notv worth it to take a chance doing something that would jeopardize my ability to ever own guns again.

Sorry mods. I'm done.

Edited by danjordan78

I understand this years NSSF Rimfire Challenge "Worlds" at Cavern Cove in Alabama is a one yr deal and they (NSSF) were looking at it (Worlds) being a west coast match next year.

I hope they (NSSF) see what's going on and say NEVER CALIFORNIA with laws like what they (California) just adopted. USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc should do the same.

Went last year, but the new laws go too far. Canceling tickets and hotel reservations next week. Needs to be moved from California permanently and I hope USPSA figures that out. Went last year because there were ways around it, but not anymore.

Hope to see you all in Georgia for the Steel Nationals next spring!

Hate to hear you're not coming. I was looking forward to meeting you. Regarding GA what do you know that I don't?

As my dad liked to say this will be twice I've shot the WSSC in CA -- my first and last!

Steel Nationals are going to be in Georgia next year. My schedule might be opening up a little though so I might be able to make it to Pennsylvania for one or two of the big matches out there next year too:)

Steel Nationals are going to be in Georgia next year. My schedule might be opening up a little though so I might be able to make it to Pennsylvania for one or two of the big matches out there next year too:)

How do you know Nationals will be in GA next year? I haven't heard squat about it.

That must be different than the US Steel Nationals which will be in Volusia County Fl for the foreseeable future ..I know it's currently nota sanctioned event ...

Edited by Nimitz

For non residents of California, the recently signed laws don't affect you at all. Since January 1, 2000, you have not been allowed to import mags with a capacity greater than 10.

In fact, one of the most hated laws is the ammunition restrictions and non-residents are exempt ; import all you want.

If you look at the U.S. Steel Nationals website in the upper right hand corner it says "2017 match is headed for the Atlanta area". An RO told me that was correct as well. Just going off the best info I have at the moment.

Just so it is clear since the OP makes it sound like the recently passed laws will be an issue for competitors, nothing that was signed into law will affect anyone traveling to California for the SC.

Warpspeed,

but It is affecting the people who want to go to the competition.

the new (and not in effect) law scares them.

That is an affect on a competitor or two.

California has become the state where we will find what our nation will and will not do.

What can they do to stop the horror they see from becoming reality?

it is a choice one has. laws often affect sections of the economy.

I was not planning to go, so while am pretty sure I would have bailed from going for the reasons the op gave,

there is very little substance behind that particular opinion.

miranda

If you look at the U.S. Steel Nationals website in the upper right hand corner it says "2017 match is headed for the Atlanta area". An RO told me that was correct as well. Just going off the best info I have at the moment.

Hmmmmm .... I have not looked at the website since the match .... I know this year's match was very close to not happening so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I wonder if Shawn sold the rights or made some kind of deal with that range and/or USPSA?

I know the SC MD at Volusia so I'll chat with him at next month's match to see what he knows ...