Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does one get a 1/2 case out of the barrel?

Sandbagger123

During the match

Long thin tipped pocket knife, reaching to edge of case and pop it out

There is a video floating around of a GM doing this during his run at a match, that's where I saw it being done.

Don't have the link or remember the GM who did it

But during a practice session I had to do the same thing

I have done this in a .22 with a case stuck so tight other methods would not work. I took a round nose lead bullet and tapped it in to the muzzle and tapped it through with a brass rod until it hit the brass in the chamber and popped it right out.

It was Shannon Smith. He grabs his knife, pries the brass away from the chamber wall then smacks the back of the gun against a range prop to get it to fall out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=822321477866165&id=136506786447641&_rdr

It was Shannon Smith. He grabs his knife, pries the brass away from the chamber wall then smacks the back of the gun against a range prop to get it to fall out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=822321477866165&id=136506786447641&_rdr

That is awesome! something I would have never thought of doing.

I wonder how many production shooters he still beat despite having a major malfunction...

That is awesome! something I would have never thought of doing.

I wonder how many production shooters he still beat despite having a major malfunction...

Wonder how many shooters using relatively stock guns, no comp or dot, minor scoring, 10 round mags, and equipment behind the hip bones a world-class grandmaster in Open could beat, even with a blown stage? Let me think about that for a minute...

Put the barrel in a freezer. Know a guy that had a 9 major case head separation and when the barell cooled off it came out easy. The freezer would prob shrink things up just enough. I know this prob won't be of any use at a match but at home it might.

Put the barrel in a freezer. Know a guy that had a 9 major case head separation and when the barell cooled off it came out easy. The freezer would prob shrink things up just enough. I know this prob won't be of any use at a match but at home it might.

I did this, and it works. I had a case separation with 9 major (turns out it was a stepped case - don't use them) and the barrel of the case was practically imbedded in the chamber. Froze it overnight, inserted a screwdriver I had ground to barely fit into the ID of the case, twisted and pulled, and it came right out. (I plan to keep a freezer in my car for future incidents :goof: )

During the match

Long thin tipped pocket knife, reaching to edge of case and pop it out

There is a video floating around of a GM doing this during his run at a match, that's where I saw it being done.

Don't have the link or remember the GM who did it

But during a practice session I had to do the same thing

Its not allowed in IPSC. Just fyi.

It's exciting in a full-auto subgun too. The ring stays in the chamber, and the bolt shoves the next round in place, stopping at the ring, and having the rear of the unsupported case rupture.

This is the second time I've been bitten by the stepped brass. Head stamps are "Ammoload", "IMT" and "FM" (Freedom Munitions).

I'm now in the process of going through my full 5-gallon bucket of cleaned 9mm brass and pulling all of these out.

(The half-case does not have a live primer. It's an optical illusion. It's an empty primer pocket.)

56FE60E6-D81F-4919-A419-912ECE2BD47B_zps

It's exciting in a full-auto subgun too. The ring stays in the chamber, and the bolt shoves the next round in place, stopping at the ring, and having the rear of the unsupported case rupture.

This is the second time I've been bitten by the stepped brass. Head stamps are "Ammoload", "IMT" and "FM" (Freedom Munitions).

I'm now in the process of going through my full 5-gallon bucket of cleaned 9mm brass and pulling all of these out.

(The half-case does not have a live primer. It's an optical illusion. It's an empty primer pocket.)

Forget whether this has been mentioned before. In my travels on BE I ran into a great tip for sorting sub-.45 brass. Take an MTM (or equivalent) 100-rd ammo box, dump a couple of handfuls of 9mm into it, shake it horizontally, add more until its full. If you shake it over a collander or a box that'll catch the ones that fall off the sides.

Most of the brass will fall into the compartments with the rim down, a few won't. Now the .380s show up as too short, the 38 Supers as too long, and the .40s as too long and too fat. The stepped cases are very obvious; just be sure to use a good light. Pull them out with needle nose pliers or whatever. It's pretty fast, and I got my 9 Major brass squared away pretty quickly.

56FE60E6-D81F-4919-A419-912ECE2BD47B_zps

WOW

Were you running FA? What gun is that?

Any damage to the gun or the shooter?

Were you running FA? What gun is that?

Any damage to the gun or the shooter?

That's an Uzi. No damage done. It was pretty obvious, as I was shooting suppressed: "pew, pew, POW", with all the smoke and noise coming out the ejection port.

Also, with the unsupported case rupturing, it tends to vent all of the pressure out the side, so it resulted in a squib round in the barrel as well. I just knocked it out with a squib rod and all was well again.