Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cj arms .40 thunder ftf

Vesteroid

I have a new ck arms thunder and am using sti mags. I purchased 1000 magtec .40 180g with the truncated point to break the gun in and get me brass to start loading .40.

My problem is it hangs every 3-6 rounds and won't load the bullet. It gets caught on the face of the bullet at about a 45 degree angle to the mag.

I read up here on these and purchase this gun because all I read says these are ready to run out of the box.

Any ideas what may be wrong, or what to do?

you're describing the bullet jamming against the top of the chamber and failing to go into battery, right? generally overall length (needs to be made longer) or a different bullet profile will help to solve that. since you're shooting factory with intention to reload, i would not start adjusting the gun.

Magtech is very finicky ammo. It's made in Brasil by CBC and every one down there tries to stay away from it. I've seen factory magtech jam in a bone stock glock and an m&p. Try the ammo in some one else's gun and try some other ammo in your gun. My vote is that your gun doesn't like the ammo.

So can someone recommend a load "Recipe" to me.

Sucks I have 950 rounds I can't use.

Guess I need to get some brass and powder and projectiles and load up some to break the gun in

I am using h38 powder on my 9mm minor.

So can someone recommend a load "Recipe" to me

I am using h38 powder on my 9mm minor.

Is that HP38?

If so, I load 4.5gr under a 180gr coated lead bullet, at 1.200".

They feed 100% I'm my stock STI mags.

The scary thing is I now need to buy brass to do the loads...the .40 brass I can find is almost as much as just buying ammo.

Wish I had understood the gun requires special ammo just to run before I bought it.

Look in the classifieds here. Brass shouldn't be more than a few cents each.

The scary thing is I now need to buy brass to do the loads...the .40 brass I can find is almost as much as just buying ammo.

Wish I had understood the gun requires special ammo just to run before I bought it.

classifieds on here, or try allison supply. $37/1000

try some other ammo before you get too worried. i run a lot of fed am eagle 180 in my brazos hp edge with sti mags (they were tuned by brazos when i got the gun) with no issues at all. also have used 165. my bil has a "regular" edge with "regular" sti mags and has no issues with a variety of fed/blazer and related 180 and 165g. mostly i run atlanta arms 180 reloads "just over major" ammo again with no issues (i buy the regular and not the long).

It is not just CK Arms Limited guns that like a longer load. My first Limited gun was an STI Edge and it also liked the longer loads to function well. It seems most high end competition guns need just a little tweaking to function well, but once you get them to run they run like a top.

Edited by S&W686

I would also like to add that you should not feel discourage that you may have purchased the wrong gun. Once you get the right load for the gun it will run great for you and give you years of shooting pleasure.

Edited by S&W686

2011s tend to like long ammo to feed properly. Way longer than you can get factory. They are also notorious for mag issues. I run MBX which are tuned when you buy them. Pricey but they work. Most guys I know that use sti brand mags have to tune them before they are 100% then periodically after that depending on use and what they are dropped on.