Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B small pistol primers

MemphisMechanic

10k of these at $25 per K from Cabelas, versus $30 for Win / CCI elsewhere. That adds up.

Given they're substantially cheaper, I'm curious how these run through a press like my 650. Federal obviously go through like soft, melted butter and CCI aren't quite so smooth, but Win/CCI/Federal do just fine.

I run stock striker springs in my M&Ps and Glocks so even CCIs runs 100%. I'm not too concerned with them there - lots of reports that they're somewhere between Win and CCI in that regard around various forums I googled up.

I just hope someone can reassure me that I wouldn't spend my evenings trying to shove square pegs into round holes, which is how it felt to run Wolf primers through range pickup brass on my 650.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

You can sometimes get them for less, all the way down to the incredible $17.99 that some lucky guys have reported. I have bought them for $20.

I have used perhaps 8000 of them so far, both in my Open gun and in the "normal" pistols, with very few problems.

They go through the RF-100 tube loader on the fly - about the best performance that I have seen: VERY fast and almost without the flips... and have no issue on either the 650, or the 1050.

I have found several duds among them, maybe 1 per 1000. So I only use them in practice, but they work very well overall.

i've loaded 8k or so rounds with s&b primers. they work fine in all my guns. they are slightly more finicky about seating then cci or winchester, a little tighter fit I think.

at $25/k I would not buy them. I'd pay $27 for cci or win at powder valley. At $18/k they are worth it to me, so I bought a bunch.

Oddly, the 2nd one I fired was a dud, something I've never run into before. That made me a little nervous, but I've fired many thousands since then without an issue.

...at $25/k I would not buy them. I'd pay $27 for cci or win at powder valley.
That's exactly what I'm thinking after reading the replies.
If "they load like a dream and my gun loves them! had been the concensus, I'd feel differently.
Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've loaded thousands so far on my 650 and have had no problems at all.

No duds either.

I'm using large and small in .38 Spec, 9mm, .40, and .45 and shooting multiple pistols and revolvers.

I've loaded 5k pistol primers on my 650, run them in my DW PM9 with 17# mainspring. I've not had any duds. I tried the S&B SR primers in my open gun, & they are definitely hard! I had to put a 20# mainspring in it to light them. I'd buy the SP for $20 or less, but not a buyer at $25. Gonna pass on the SR.

I am on 7k with them and no issues.

During the holidays they were $17.99 with $20 off if you spend $100 at Cabelas. So 6k out the door was $89 a trip.

They are used in sp01s and my ts, I do make sure they are a little beyond seated fully.

Please don't buy if you have doubts, leave them for me.

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck (pun intended), you might also consider Magtech. I have been paying anywhere from $24-$26/k total for them and they have been 100% through all my guns.

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck (pun intended), you might also consider Magtech. I have been paying anywhere from $24-$26/k total for them and they have been 100% through all my guns.

Where are you finding them? I bought a bunch from Graf's years ago but haven't found any lately.

Where are you finding them? I bought a bunch from Graf's years ago but haven't found any lately.

The last time I got them, it was from Brownells. I just checked again and it looks like they are currently out of stock. The price seems to fluctuate a bit, but they can be had for under $30 if you maximize your order quantity.

I ran 5k s&b spp through my 550, no problems as far as function. The only problem was Military brass squishing a few. Normally my 550 puts the win spp right in with no swaging. As far a shooting, I run M&P's (4.25, shield, both 9mm, and a bodyguard) stock springs, no problem. The P85 shoots anything so I can't judge with that. I give S&B primers a thumbs up.

P.S.

I am not a fan of Magtech primers. It seams like half of them are upside down in packaging, making them a pain in the butt to load into the primer tubs.

S&B's are usually a mess in the package too. Get yourself a primer tray, it makes tube filling a lot easyer.

I am not a fan of Magtech primers. It seams like half of them are upside down in packaging, making them a pain in the butt to load into the primer tubs.

Somebody...rcbs, I think, sells a primer flip tray for $5 or less. I see no reason to buy the $20 Dillon tray.

Somebody...rcbs, I think, sells a primer flip tray for $5 or less. I see no reason to buy the $20 Dillon tray.

Thanks, I have the rcbs tray. I didn't realize that you could gently shake the tray and it would flip them all do the same side. Learned something new today.

But the Dillon one can be used as an offensive weapon, like a steel Frisbee. :roflol:

I have about 2900 of them if your looking to buy.

Bought 3000 from cabelas a few weeks ago and loaded 100.

Got maybe 2 outa 10 go off in 3 diff 9mm guns. (Stock g19 & xdm as well as 4lb spring in glock 34)

I guess I could try a 6 lb spring. But I'm lazy.

They're just sittin in my safe now :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk