Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the P09 as good as it seems?

ArrDave

I shoot a shadow custom in competition, but the P09 feels a little better in hand where they've relieved the frame under the grip tang "beaver tail". The rolling mushy break of the trigger actually works pretty good it feels like. I've not had the chance to actually live fire one. Reset is a little long, but other than that, are they really as "good enough" as they seem? I would probably change sights and trigger return springs then just let it rock for a while before fooling with the rest of the parts... thoughts on stock P09s?

Dave

I think I am more than qualified to answer your inquiry. I used the P-09 as soon as the silly weight limit was introduced to CO (shoulda been PO to begin with), I switched from SP-01 Shadows. I have a whole thread about the trigger and springs to tune the P-09 trigger. The trigger pull weight can be made as light as a shadow with very little effort, essentially I did all the work for you. As for the reset issue.... This is another thing all together. Here is the lowdown:

The reset can/could become as short as the SP-01, but the part does not currently exist. All you need is a CGW's T-2 or T-3 (fitted version) just like the one for the SP-01. I say "All you need....." Because it does not exist as I stated above. The will to make/developed it is not there as there is not enough of a market for it. I called and spoke to David at CGW's about this very thing, and he stated it can be done, but 1000 units is kind of his break even point.

So, there you go on the reset

The ergo's of the P-09 is great, only thing that might, and I emphasize might, be an issue is the magwell is not as easy to reload as the SP-01, but it is not a game stopper by any stretch.

Well the more we are evangelical about it with new shooters the more market we can build! Another couple years and I bet we will have it. How has yours held up?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Well the more we are evangelical about it with new shooters the more market we can build! Another couple years and I bet we will have it. How has yours held up?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

My P-09's are great, never had any type of reliability issue. They are more than up to USPSA type abuse

Yes, I have 2 used in USPSA for little over a year. Have approx 12k through both combined, runs great love the ergos and feel in my hand. I got one directly from CGW with Pro package, trigger feels great. Got the other stock and added CGW parts myself. Omega trigger is pretty easy to work on, couple great videos on youtube.

As zhunter mentioned magwell and long narrow mags can make reloading a challenge. Put in enough dryfire and it wont hold you back.

The only drawback to P09 platform is cost of mags, Greg Cote LLC seems to have best price but still are $38 - $42 a piece.

P07/P09 is definitely a solid platform.

Good price point for entry, accurate and reliable.

Some nice things can be done to improve the feel of the action. Some people really love what can be done.

Definitely a fan base for the platform.

I shot a Cajunized P09 years back and don't recall much of the experience other than the grip felt like it was slipping out of my hand no matter how tight I held it. I haven't been able to shoot that gun again recently, but hope to do so sometime this summer as I know much more now than I did then. I know I liked it, I just didn't like it much more than anything else.

I've been very satisfied with this P-09 I got a while back (credit to eerw for the great photo). Solid platform, easy to upgrade hammer, sights, springs. Highly recommend a stippled back-strap and grip tape on the front strap to keep a firm hold.

GtO9t3U.jpg

Edited by IronicTwitch

I've been very satisfied with this P-09 I got a while back (credit to eerw for the great photo). Solid platform, easy to upgrade hammer, sights, springs. Highly recommend a stippled back-strap and grip tape on the front strap to keep a firm hold.

GtO9t3U.jpg

That's awesome. Love those FDE's. What mods would you consider "must do"?

That's awesome. Love those FDE's. What mods would you consider "must do"?

Must do: buy ammo and practice!

Easy to do's: CGW's extended firing pin, reduced power springs (FP spring, FPB spring, 13# hammer spring (11# if you can find Fed primers), and #15 flat recoil spring)

Second tier to-do: competition hammer (SA break is incredible after), reduced power TRS (since you've got it disassembled) and upgraded sights

GtO9t3U.jpg

that looks vaguely familiar

I used one in a few matches last summer. It is flat shooting and easy to reload, but the trigger will never be as good as a Shadow. I moved to a Lim Pro, but I love the P-09 and still have it. I pulled the CGW blue spring out and put a a gold hammer spring in it. I also pulled the short reset kit and light recoil spring out and use it for home defense. 20 rounds of 124 gr +P HP is nothing too scoff at!

I was using Springer Precision pre-cut grip tape, that will take care of any slippage problems

IMO, this is pretty much a must, unless you plan on investing in a good stippling job. The grip has a nice cut out (molded) to make it relatively thin up by the slide, but CZ didn't put any texture there. It doesn't feel secure enough for me w/o the grip tape, and SP's does well.

Shot my P-09 for two years with 3GUN with all the CGW options, CZC Magwell and mag bases Also have a FDE model CGW setup that my son currently shoots but he has Dawson sights on it .

This year i switch back to my SP-01 Shadow and was shooting it better than my P-09, I still like the gun, but i need the extra weight now i guess. So i have put a Red dot on my P-09 and will be using it for Carry Optics.

that looks vaguely familiar

You did a nice job setting it up! I've only played with the springs. The CZC Htac rear sight adds some extra cool factor!

• 1 month later...

I know it's not a necro post but bringing this topic back up.

What are you guys running for recoil springs? I see that 15lb is what CGW sells but that still seems heavy to me?

I am used to my shadow using an 11lb I guess.

So what spring should I uses for minor loads (130 pf)? I also have a question about recoil spring for suppressed use. Should I put back in the factory to shoot suppressed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used CGW's flat 15# spring on my 130PF loads. It seems much easier to rack than you'd expect (not quite an 11# spring on a 75 series). I'm a fan of the flat recoil spring.

No experience with suppressed, but I'd assume keeping the 15# spring with subsonic loads should work fine.

For minor loads I use a 11lb (75 series) spring from CGW in my P09. As a note you have to get the stainless steel guide for but I thought it was completely worth it for the additional mass and the freedom to use 75 series springs which I already had on hand. The other option I considered at the time was a wolf 11lb flat spring for a full size glock. There are several individuals on here and CZFirearms.us who have used this setup successfully.

In regard to P09 vs 75B. I had a 75B and sold it off to buy the P09 and I have been very happy with that decision. I use my P09 for completion and I think it's one of the best entry guns for USPSA and has a lot of versatility given the amount of aftermarket parts available.I think overall though it's mostly personal preference polymer v steel, FLDC v short dc, omega v traditional trigger.

Is P09 better than a 75B? Thanks for the input?

Loaded question. Recommend you try both!

It's less expensive. After that, buy what you like for your need. I have a P-07 and an 85B. They have different purposes.

Edited by Smitty79

I have a shadow and just picked up my urban grey P09 today. I didn't get a chance to shoot it but I can tell you that the grip feels good in my hand with the Medium strap on.

You will want to get some grip tape or stipple the grip though. I would also look into a guide rod and lower pound recoil spring.

Mine has a plastic guide rod and a blue spring that's pretty damn heavy. The hammer spring is also really heavy and I'm going to a lighter one.

Anyone know what the stock hammer spring is rated at?

I have a shadow and just picked up my urban grey P09 today. I didn't get a chance to shoot it but I can tell you that the grip feels good in my hand with the Medium strap on.

You will want to get some grip tape or stipple the grip though. I would also look into a guide rod and lower pound recoil spring.

Mine has a plastic guide rod and a blue spring that's pretty damn heavy. The hammer spring is also really heavy and I'm going to a lighter one.

Anyone know what the stock hammer spring is rated at?

Going off of memory: 20lbs for both hammer and recoil springs. I settled on a 15lb hammer and 18lb recoil spring in mine. I experienced light strikes using a much lighter hammer spring and hand loads with CCI primers. A lighter recoil spring threw my brass much further than I cared for. Full disclosure: CGW's extended FP also installed.