Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

good 2011 gun smith to send my STI to get tuned

tannerlc

yeh ive reached out to a couple people there not very quick at getting back and kinda looking for a pretty quick turn around time i wish i coupd find someone local around south alabama north florida area

Another vote for Atlas Gunworks. Take some time and go through their youtube channel. For me, watching those videos really showed Adam's knowledge and experience with the platform and that he can make your pistol run great.

Edited by itzjere

Atlas Gunworks will build my 2011 when I finally pull the trigger on one.

Adam did a tune and trigger job on my 15 year old Kimber Raptor and it feels like a 3k Wilson...

Adam is very responsive and great to work with.

Edited by mapmaker

If we could look at your profile and see where you live we might tell you about a great smith right down the road from you. But we cant so you don't learn about a great resource and your local guy doesn't get the business, but UPS is a happy camper. I see this all the time on here. Update your profile, get better service and a chance to make a new friend. That after all is what this forum is really all about.----------------Larry White

Sorry Guys still pretty new. i updated my profile im in Destin, Fl orginally from South alabama. It would be ideal to just go drop to someone local ive googled gunsmiths around my area around panama city FL, Pensacola FL etc... they don't return emails i guess or not intrested in working on 2011 pistols. I was having a FTE on the last round it would leave the round stovepipe.

it could have been the mags i bought the gun used and dont have alot of info on it neither did the guy i bought it from it was his backup gun. Somhas been through a couple people. It could be the extractor or maybe the mags i bought 4 new Dawson tuned mags and gonna try it out and check the extractor. Its a frame to slide kit gun its been stroked trigger is real nice in it breaks crisp at 2.5 lbs. But it full Dust cover, not even cocking serrations on the front so i want to get some milling done maybe DVC type lighting holes on the gun also. i know once that happens it will need to be tuned forsure thats kinda where i am rig now with it.

Not a smith but it sounds like it might be an extractor issue. If you're so inclined, take an empty case and slide the brass rim under the hook of the extractor to where the case would be when the pistol is in battery. It should hold the case somewhat firmly.

My guess is that it might be too loose and the rim is slipping out from under the extractor hook when there isn't another round in the mag to help keep it there.

Give Shay Akai a call. He's in South Florida and builds amazing guns. Occasionally one of his prize table tune up certs will pop up here in the classifieds. Super nice guy to deal with and one of the best builders around.

yeh im in Africa working right now. I have the gun up at my sponsors shop there awesome at milling and cerakote but there more of plastic gun guys glocks,M&P type guns he is cleaning it up and doing some cocking serrations and cerakote and is going to check the extractor. I contactes Shay Akai abut sending him my gun and him doing his thing on it but he hasnt got back to me. Hats who id like to get it to.

I have a custom STI i want to send off to get tuned to run. I shoot uspsa and just dont want to take the chance of having issues. I bought the gun used and dont know alot about it.

The problem will be who has time to work on it. Some gun builders/smiths won't take on many odd jobs because they are busy building new guns. I always recommend Matt Cheely for builds but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do tune ups etc.

Talk to local shooters and see if there is a local smith they recommend.

Glenn at Loan Star Innovations is an artist. Give him a call.

Well, conversation isn't working on a gun. It would be better if he'd follow up and call you back, get the gun in and actually work on it. I've had "great to talk to you, I'll get back to you" several times, but no follow-up. Had to go elsewhere. Maybe he's just really busy?

Edited by teros135