Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

long range in 3 gun who does everyone practice?

In southeastern New Mexico we are fortunate to have a 600 yard sight in range at the Roswell gun club.

I use paper plates out to 300 yards and after that I cut out four MOA squares from an IPSC target (white side out) and use that from 400 to 600.

I have a 10" steel swinger with orange indicator for practicing the various positions.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 12" hanging gong from 300 to 500 yards. So far I have not yet stepped up to practicing more field positions, but I know others do. Depending on who else is on the hi-power range, I can usually make non-traditional use of the bench (sitting on the ground with the rifle on one of the bench legs) and awning supports (standing supported). Sometimes when I'm feeling zesty I'll even do sitting unsupported.

MGM auto poppers are the best target for rifle. I use the skinny sammies out to about 150, and the 6" colt speed plates to a little over 300. 10" flashers beyond that for prone, or under 300 for weird positions.

6" speed plate auto poppers are great offhand practice too, just push yourself on distance to make you a better shot. Offhand is a seriously under-utilized skill. If you get decent at offhand, any position with support is just that much easier.

I'm lucky enough to have a range for practice to 400yds all year with a rooftop prop, 3GN barricade, and several areas leveled out to go prone. When crops are out, I have an area I can shoot to 1000yds, so I opt to take steel out and shoot every 25-50 yards to compare to my Strelok app using chronograph data. So far, the app has been dead on to 600 with .223 and 1000 with .308.

MGM auto poppers are the best target for rifle. I use the skinny sammies out to about 150, and the 6" colt speed plates to a little over 300. 10" flashers beyond that for prone, or under 300 for weird positions.

6" speed plate auto poppers are great offhand practice too, just push yourself on distance to make you a better shot. Offhand is a seriously under-utilized skill. If you get decent at offhand, any position with support is just that much easier.

Don't give that away, Bryan. :D

It occurred to me after a testing session yesterday, that you don't need a lot of space to practice your long range game. No matter what level your at, you can shoot groups at 50 yds and get a lot of feedback. Analyze your groups in terms of MOA. At 50, your goal should be to make the bullets go in the same hole. If your shooting 1" groups at 50, that equals an 8" group at 400 which can make it pretty hard to hit a 10" at 400.

How is everyone practicing long-range and what kind size of Target with the distance ? This is something I need to work on and trying to getting some ideals.

I have a 400 yard range that I can use. I just put up 10 inch steel targets at 200 300 and 400 yards and shoot them from various positions, prone, off a barricade etc.

Pat