Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting online reaction test

johnbu

Hi, new to the uspsa stuff. Been,dry firing and trying to get a leg up on my first season.

Here's a simple drill. Draw, fire twice, reload, fire twice more. I think there is some good in there, but lots of room to shed time.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/john_bud/media/Tanfo%20Stock%202/Capture_20160302_zpsrdszh38v.mp4.html

Hope the link works using the phone!

There is a YouTube video I saw recently (wish I could recall instructor) that started with an experienced shooter who couldn't break 1.2-1.3. Within a couple hours, this guy had him hitting sub 1 second draws on target. Very interesting technique. Maybe I'll update this if I can find it.....

Found it - Rangetime TS

http://youtu.be/BMSlCyc-SQQ

Edited by Stevec717

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Retook this test :(

It still takes over a half second. It's "under chronological age", but still slow.

So to hit a sub second draw, I need to be 0.4 sec for the whole motion, sight picture and firing! Haha, like that's gonna happen.

Hi, new to the uspsa stuff. Been,dry firing and trying to get a leg up on my first season.

Here's a simple drill. Draw, fire twice, reload, fire twice more. I think there is some good in there, but lots of room to shed time.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/john_bud/media/Tanfo%20Stock%202/Capture_20160302_zpsrdszh38v.mp4.html

Hope the link works using the phone!

There is a YouTube video I saw recently (wish I could recall instructor) that started with an experienced shooter who couldn't break 1.2-1.3. Within a couple hours, this guy had him hitting sub 1 second draws on target. Very interesting technique. Maybe I'll update this if I can find it.....

Found it - Rangetime TS

http://youtu.be/BMSlCyc-SQQ

Great video! Thanks!!

If you want to speed up your times:

A) use your spacebar, not your mouse. Mouse clicks are registered by your computer on release of the button vs. spacebar is registered on the push, so only half the movement is required.

B) "prep" the spacebar and make it a point not to slap the bar by backing off your prep when the hand comes up and then slapping down. Just push straight down.

I'm almost 44 and could get "We're not sure if you're an actual human being" (< 300ms) every time by just doing these two things.

A) use your spacebar, not your mouse. Mouse clicks are registered by your computer on release of the button vs. spacebar is registered on the push, so only half the movement is required.

Only with poor code. There's a mousedown, mouseup and onclick event. Onclick for a test like this is lazy.

https://www.justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/

I've been working and working on dry fire draw speed and the 1.00s barrier is impenetrable. 1.2s are when everything is cooking and the occasional 1.1s when I probably jumped the buzzer. The draw action seems quick, yet the times lag. Then I was sent a link to a program that guesses age based on how quick you react to a STOP sign popping up. :( Actually, my reflex time is 15-20years under chronological age, but still that's .480s hovering a finger 1/2" above the touch screen.

No wonder I can't get an aimed shot off from the holster in under a second when I'm just standing there for half the time!

53 and got anywhere between 20 year old and 43 year old depending on which key I used, which finger, and mouse or no.

Only with poor code. There's a mousedown, mouseup and onclick event. Onclick for a test like this is lazy.

Then it's lazy alright. Push and hold with mouse doesn't stop the timer.

Then it's lazy alright. Push and hold with mouse doesn't stop the timer.
thats equivalent to timing trigger pull until you release and it resets instead of till you pull and it goes bang. :)

I think the only discipline where working on your reaction speed has any merit is Steel Challenge and even then it's audible reaction speed that counts. Easy way to test yours is to point your gun at a target, finger on the trigger and on the timer fire a shot. That will give you your pure audible reaction speed, only hits on the target count. Be sure to use the random start feature so your not simply learning the timer cadence. My current audio reaction speed for a 12" plate at 15 yds is .18-.20 secs

I think the only discipline where working on your reaction speed has any merit is Steel Challenge and even then it's audible reaction speed that counts. Easy way to test yours is to point your gun at a target, finger on the trigger and on the timer fire a shot. That will give you your pure audible reaction speed, only hits on the target count. Be sure to use the random start feature so your not simply learning the timer cadence. My current audio reaction speed for a 12" plate at 15 yds is .18-.20 secs

Unlike nearly everyone posting, my reaction time sux donkey. Trying on multiple computers, tablets and phone using 4g, wired or wireless my reaction time is right around a half second. If I hit a 1.00 first shot, the draw/aim/fire cycle was 0.500 or less because the first 1/2 sec was wasted standing. Sad, but I just don't "have what it takes".

Interesting. If I face it and focus on where the sign is going to appear, very consistent at 25-27. Turn my head a bit, go to a neutral focus

and see it with my peripheral vision---consistently "not human". Currently 64. Why is the peripheral vision "faster"? Some kind of lizard

brain flight trigger?

Interesting. If I face it and focus on where the sign is going to appear, very consistent at 25-27. Turn my head a bit, go to a neutral focus

and see it with my peripheral vision---consistently "not human". Currently 64. Why is the peripheral vision "faster"? Some kind of lizard

brain flight trigger?

The receptors in the eye are more sensitive off center. One trick I learned during my time in the Army was to not look at something directly when it's dark, but look quickly around in a circle where something might be, it will pick up a "ghost" image of what's at the center of the circle. This was when night vision electronics were relatively new and unavailable generally. Try it.