Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade time or not?

I have a 550B, looking at my logs I loaded and fired 3,600 hundred rounds last month. I am at a pace to do the same for almost every month this year and some months even more as I will be going to St. George, Utah to train at TPC 3-6 days a month each month (about 2K rounds per 3 day trip).

I will keep the 550B as I hunt and use it like a single stage for rifles but the toolheads are very convenient.

So, the choice comes to 650 or the 1050 as I am not keen on spending 10+ hours each month reloading on the 550B. I read the "Which Dillon" post and seems I am at the top range for the 650 and lower range for the 1050.

Assuming price is not a factor (after all it is a one time purchase) what are the pros and cons? It would be set up for one caliber and not change.

1050 just for the crimped primer pockets in 9mm that seem to be showing up more often. Whichever one you decide to buy, make sure you add a Mr Bullet Feeder. It's one of the best upgrades out there.

I was in a similar situation, loading only pistol on a 550B.

I just bought a 650 that will be dedicated to .40. If I had to do it again, I would have bought a 1050.

I am finding at least 3 or 4 per hundred cases with a crimped primer pocket. I also absolutely hate the priming system on the 650.

When you factor in stoppages and having to clear the shell plate, I was much faster on my 550, easily loading 100 rounds in 7 minutes

Hmmm, I had to Google Mark 7. I think that is an overkill for what I intend to do, plus it probably voids Dillon warranty. If I was in the business of selling reloads I can see it.

Exactly. For what you will do with the press - a stock 1050 would be perfect.

I have a RL-1050 set up for 9mm and a 550 that I used for everything else. Just bought a 650 from Brian to be dedicated to .40 and have loaded a few K rounds with it.

The only "Pro's" to the 650 are lifetime warranty and cost. The 650 "almost" as fast as the 1050 but takes a bit more effort to run. I went with it because it's like half the cost... you could add a MBF and still be a few hundred less that the 1050.

It's fast enough, but if moneys not a issue the 1050 is the right answer. ;)

Edited by Chutist

I load 9mm almost exclusively and I just upgraded from a 650 to a 1050. I wouldn't go back at all. I typically only shoot about 1000 rounds per month, but it was a worthwhile upgrade to me. Just so much faster by not having to stop and deal with crimped primer pockets and not having to push the handle forward to seat the primers.

I also agree that a Mr. Bullet Feeder is worth every penny.

Edited by TennJeep1618

If you had said more than 1 calibre I would say 650. but if it's truly 1 pistol calibre and 3,000+ a month then the 1050 is the answer. Definitely get the MR BF as that really speeds up the process and just makes loading so much easier.

1050 with a MBF and don't look back. I spent a couple evenings a month during this last winter and I have enough 9mm loaded for the summer shooting season.

I purchased a couple complete caliber conversations and can swap between them in short order. Loaded 2K of 9mm swaped to 40 and loaded another 2K in one evening.

woof