Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Confusion - Need some guidance on models

SWHlctx

It seems CZ pistols are becoming more popular in my area and I've seen several popping up at local matches (IDPA and USPSA). I've shot a couple and really like the fit and feel in my hand.

Here's my dilemma....which model do I focus on for competition in IDPA and USPSA? I've had more than one model recommended, but predominantly it seems the SP01 Shadow Custom is the one a couple of guys I shoot with recommended. It sounds fairly simple, but the problem is when I do a little research the terminology gets confusing. I understand there is now a Shadow Custom 2? And what is the deal with the Orange model with the longer barrel?

I shoot IDPA SSP and ESP and some USPSA (Limited minor). If possible I would like to go with a 40 S&W caliber.

Anyway, if any of the CZ shooters can get me pointed in some direction and maybe explain some of the differences in the models that would work for IDPA and USPSA, I would appreciate it.

You need to decide on a class, if you're only getting one gun.

Production - Shadow

Limited - TS

Just get a plain shadow and do a trigger job, disco, FP, etc. Will run better than any orange, custom, blah, blah model you can buy.

Give Matt at Automatic Accuracy a call. He and his crew shoot for the CZ USPSA team and have a great shop.

I bought a PCR from him that he works on and he also upgraded my SP01 Shadow. My friends love shooting it and I am happy w it in USPSA Production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to give a CZ 75, CZ 75 SP01, and CZ Tac Sport a feel.

The Tac sport is a single action only large frame model ideal for USPSA limited division, 23 rounds of 9mm in a 140mm mag or ~20 rounds of 40. Bigger grip and only comes in full dust cover.

75 is the short dust cover and SP01 is the full dust cover of the small frame, ~21 rounds of 9mm in a 140mm mag and a DA/SA trigger. These models are incredibly popular in Production division. Thinner grip, short or long dust cover.

Either the Tac Sport or 75 can be upgraded with sights, grips etc. Try to feel both models and then shoot the pistol you enjoy more. If you shoot Pacleb, Kellc or Cawthon matches you're more than welcome to try my SP01.

I agree with TJART. Pick a class and then decide on the gun. I tried the one size fits all approach first and it didn't work. Now I either have, or am building one gun for each specific purpose. For example, as soon as I complete the build, I'll have one 1911 45 with iron sights for IDPA CDP and USPSA SS. Another strictly for games, pins, steel, etc., and another specifically for bullseye shooting. I do the same with 22s. One for targets and the other for all other competitions. I have a CZ TS for USPSA Limited and a complete top end for USPSA Open. Now I don't have to compromise.

I love my TS, but it is only legal for USPSA Limited or IPSC Standard. Also, there isn't a lot of full race gear available for it. If you want to dedicate a CZ pistol for Limited or Open, the TS is the way to go. Otherwise, pick another CZ.

If you want to shoot both IDPA and USPSA production I would go with the CZ 75 SP01 9mm model 91030. I would go with a build from CZ Custom or Matthew Mink at Automatic Accuracy. Shooters Connection has several available at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying, lot of business travel the last few weeks.

The suggestion to decide what I want to do with gun first is good and makes sense. I haven't shot enough USPSA to make a final decision. I've only shot a few USPSA matches in limited minor and production. I'll probably just go with production for now.

In IDPA I shoot either ESP or SSP. It looks like the SP01 Shadow or Shadow Target is the way to go. I'm not sure if either would be legal for SSP, but I'm fairly certain either one would work for ESP.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

The Shadow Target or Acu Shadow versions are not legal for use in IDPA. Since they cannot meet the requirements of SSP, they are not legal for use in ESP due to the full length dust cover.

Just get an SP01 Shadow and get some work done or buy a 2014 SP01 Shadow Custom. No Acu Shadow Bushing and no modification of the sight dovetails. I do not believe the shadow models come in .40.

himurax13... yep that's the way to go. I've given up on the 40 idea. I've been emailing back and forth with Stuart at CZ Custom and he has been very helpful (and patient) in answering all my silly ass questions about CZ.

The only issue I have with the SP01 is the safety. I'm not sure I want to go through the process of manipulating the hammer at "make ready". Stuart explained the SP01 Shadow Custom is legal for SSP and Production, but the start condition calls for the hammer to be down, so it would have to be manually let down. I was at a match where one of the guys on my squad was "making ready" and the hammer slipped out of his grip. BANG and home he went. Gotta think about it awhile.

I was at a match where one of the guys on my squad was "making ready" and the hammer slipped out of his grip. BANG and home he went. Gotta think about it awhile.

There are several ways to lower hammer on make ready. Just make sure you do it properly.

Decocker version, my grip is so high that strong hand thumb is riding on top of the decocker or on it when it's shaped/designed to be below. I could never get used to having my thumb below. Have you held both versions?

decocking, in my opinion, should always be done by inserting the weak hand thumb between the hammer and slide, pushing the hammer back, then pulling and pinning the trigger and slowly and deliberately rolling the thumb up and out of the way, slowly letting the hammer down. (obviously for non decock models). It should also be a conscious act and not something done out of habit. I stress looking at it as it happens. Pinching or using the strong hand thumb leads to disaster enough so that I will not allow it at my classes. Yes you can go too fast the way I do it, but you have to do it really fast to get it to mess up. I demo that too, just so people know.

The pinch method, and this my opinion, is more prone to ADs then any other method. Sweaty or oily hands being the biggest issue. I've DQ'd a large number of people doing that method and yet none who do the thumb roll. While it can be done safely, so can drawing from a Serpa..

Manually lowering the hammer is nothing to fear. It should be done with care as with all loading/unloading procedures but it's truly nothing to really worry over. It certainly shouldn't affect which model gun you buy.

10 min of dry fire practice and a few run throughs at the range and you'll have it nailed.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer lowering the hammer method manually, just to make the RO's nervous. ;)

I recommend avoiding the pinch method altogether. I simply slide the index finger of my support hand over the top of the hammer and slide it out, but then again I have the low/wide hammer. If you have a really aggressive rear sight, you can use your thumb and roll it out.