Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hooking finger in front of trigger guard

BCGlocker

9 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I put my weakhand index finger on the front of the trigger guard on all guns. I mostly shoot 2011s with steel grips and nitrofins. 

Not only does Jerry do it.. but Frenchy the frog Eric Grauffel also does it. And hes arguably the best shooter in the world, by far. 

True, but there are far more top 10% shooters who do not do it.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, broadside72 said:

not if you are countering the finger pull with push from the thumb

I have always shot with the finger hooked but I have giant hands that make guns look tiny. This is a P10F and you can see my support hand index finger wrapped all the way around the trigger guard. Since my hands are so big if I put four fingers under the trigger guard then my pinky has no place to live and is useless in making grip. I shoot the same with my P10C, full size 1911s, SP01 and S2. 

I dont think that is what most people are referring to in this thread when discussing this technique. They are talking about this

Eric Grauffel

On 8/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, waktasz said:

I dont think that is what most people are referring to in this thread when discussing this technique. They are talking about this

Eric Grauffel

That is what i am talking about but replying to the comment about pulling the gun left with that support hand index finger that is wrapped around the trigger guard and suggesting countering that with some frame pressure from the thumb on the same support hand. That is how I manage that with my grip, its also a natural pressure when I grip hard with that hand, the finger pulls and the thumb automatically pushes

In the pic you posted your fingers are all together though which I think is better. If you asked someone to squeeze something as hard as they can, they wouldn't stick one finger out separately like that. 

Then again Grauffel does it so wtf do I know?

3 minutes ago, beltfedgoodness said:

I think it’s just what you do best with, I notice with my lil G26 I hook my finger, it’s the only gun I do this with kinda weird but hey it works! 

It probably makes more sense on little guns like that. I still don't, but I can more understand it at least. 

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

In the pic you posted your fingers are all together though which I think is better. If you asked someone to squeeze something as hard as they can, they wouldn't stick one finger out separately like that. 

I think I get what you are saying. My hands are so big if I put my index finger more on the front of the trigger guard like Eric is my trigger finger can hit the tip of the other index finger and limit my ability to reset on that particular gun. On my 1911s and S2 I can be a little higher, but I wrap a finger around the front(ish) part of the trigger guard on every pistol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Use both techniques.  See how the sights track for you.  Pick the one that has the most linear, repeatable dot path.  :) for each their own but the same guiding principal.  

1 minute ago, csailer said:

Use both techniques.  See how the sights track for you.  Pick the one that has the most linear, repeatable dot path.  :) for each their own but the same guiding principal.  

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know anything... 

Just now, nitrohuck said:

Just trying my best :) always learning and growing!!  make it happen 

1 minute ago, nitrohuck said:

oh, it's huck!!!! hey!!!  I need to respond to your text later lol.  Keep rippin!!

On 8/14/2023 at 8:37 AM, waktasz said:

I like his stance, he doesn't seem to be leaning a lot.

• 1 month later...

I used to hook the trigger guard. Tended to hit low. Then started to push up on the dust cover. That corrected it, but…

now I use my support hand to squeeze the hell out of my primary grip. Keeps the trigger finger relaxed.