Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The short announcement - What happened to her?

acpie360

For example, libel, slander, and defamation of character.

Which is why most HR departments when queried by other prospective employers will only give out the dates that particular person was in their employ, and do not divulge the nature of that person's work.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kim was a nice person. She worked for USPSA for ~15 years under Dave Thomas. She did a pretty good job overall with some missteps.

I'm not aware of many executive positions where being a nice person is a key qualification. In fact, sometimes, when it comes to getting things done, you have to be not nice.

Anyway, I guess the Lannisters have been proved wrong. A lion should concern itself with the opinion of sheep.

Edited by peterthefish

First, I have been through quite a number of labor law classes. This is not about labor law. Saying thank you for your service and good luck does not invoke any labor law issues.

Second, nice person and competency are neither mutually exclusive or inclusive, just a fact that stands independently on its own.

Third, as I assume the BOD and Pres did what was necessary, --had reasons for the termination. I have no problem with that.

Fourth, what would I have done? I would have made the correct decision based on the facts-simple, regardless. I am not privy to the all the facts.

First, I have been through quite a number of labor law classes. This is not about labor law. Saying thank you for your service and good luck does not invoke any labor law issues.

Second, nice person and competency are neither mutually exclusive or inclusive, just a fact that stands independently on its own.

Third, as I assume the BOD and Pres did what was necessary, --had reasons for the termination. I have no problem with that.

Fourth, what would I have done? I would have made the correct decision based on the facts-simple, regardless. I am not privy to the all the facts.

For all we know she wasn't terminated. Maybe she quit before being terminated. :)

Correct!

However if some organization had ended some person's employment, made a public announcement about it and then expounded on it by saying publicly, "John Doe was a s _ _ _ bag employee who was incompetent, lazy, so on and so forth", then that would theoretically open that organization up to a lawsuit.

How/where is that scenario part of this discussion?

Because when you posted this:

Kim was a nice person. She worked for USPSA for ~15 years under Dave Thomas. She did a pretty good job overall with some missteps.

WE could fill up the entire internet memory with the pros and cons of the former director and presidents.

That is all done and gone. The fact is she is gone. Any employee should at least gotten a thank you and good wishes regardless of personal opinions.

The notification of her leaving was a classless act.

You questioned the curtness of USPSA's announcement.

Maybe HQ intended for people to read between the lines.

Or maybe they didn't, and we are all getting spun up for nothing.

Edited by Chills1994

How/where is that scenario part of this discussion?

Because when you posted this:

WE could fill up the entire internet memory with the pros and cons of the former director and presidents.

That is all done and gone. The fact is she is gone. Any employee should at least gotten a thank you and good wishes regardless of personal opinions.

The notification of her leaving was a classless act.

Perhaps there may also be a follow up message when the time is right.

I know this isn't the business world in the traditional sense but that is pretty standardized language when an employee either separates or is discharged.

I disagree. Usually there is some fluff added when an executive leaves. Here are more typical announcements:

XINYU, China and CUPERTINO, Calif., Nov. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- LDK Solar CO., Ltd. ("LDK Solar" or the "Company", OTC Pink: LDKYQ) today announced the resignation of Mr. Xingxue Tong as President and Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately, for his personal reasons. The Company's Chairman, Mr. Zhibin Liu, will assume as the President and Chief Executive Officer of LDK Solar. In the meantime, the Company will retain Mr. Tong, and Mr. Tong has agreed to be so retained, as a senior consultant to LDK Solar, to ensure a smooth transition in the management of the Company.

"We are grateful to Mr. Tong for his dedicated services as a leader of our senior management team over the past nine years. We thank him for his wisdom and wish to acknowledge him for his efforts and contributions during his tenure at the Company. While we are pleased to continue our relationship with Mr. Tong in his advisory capacity, LDK Solar is determined to work hard in the current and forthcoming economic environment, to meet its challenges ahead in its continued restructuring, and to build itself up into a reputable player in the photovoltaic industry. Finally, we wish Mr. Tong well in his future endeavors," Mr. Zhibin Liu, Chairman, President and CEO of LDK Solar, commented.

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Lpath, Inc. (NASDAQ: LPTN) announced today that Scott Pancoast has resigned as president, chief executive officer and a member of the board of directors, effective November 3. The board of directors has appointed biotechnology consultant Michael Lack as the company's interim chief executive officer while the board conducts a search for a new CEO.

"On behalf of the Lpath board of directors, I thank Scott for his leadership of Lpath as we've advanced our novel, lipid-targeted therapies in ophthalmology and oncology through early- and mid-stage clinical trials. We appreciate Scott's service and commitment to Lpath these past 16 years and wish him the best in his future endeavors," said Daniel H. Petree, chairman of the board of directors, Lpath, Inc. "Mr. Lack immediately assumes the role of interim CEO and this transition is not expected to impact the progress of our iSONEP and ASONEP clinical trials, for which we expect important data read outs in 2015."

Not saying it doesn't happen, particularly if it is an amicable separation of someone in senior leadership but my experience is that it is not the norm, particularly if there are extenuating circumstances involved (not saying there are here). HR training is the best comments about former employees are the silent ones. Opinions vary.

It appears that Kim is not the only loss that USPSA will need to contend with... This from USPSA's Facebook page:

image.jpeg

I think she must have joined USPSA about 5 years after the organization was formed.

This will be a HUGE loss!

Not saying it doesn't happen, particularly if it is an amicable separation of someone in senior leadership but my experience is that it is not the norm, particularly if there are extenuating circumstances involved (not saying there are here). HR training is the best comments about former employees are the silent ones. Opinions vary.

There is a very large difference between the public statement made by a company about a change in leadership and the private statement made by HR concerning the departure of a former employee. You seem to be confusing the two.

Typically, when an executive leaves, the company makes a public statement thanking them for their leadership, even if it was clear that they had screwed up pretty badly.

But that is very different from the statement that the HR department will make if a company calls looking for a reference for a former employee. Due to corporate cya, most HR departments will only say "Joe Blow worked here from 2011 to 2013."

I'm not inferring any meaning behind this statement, other than to say its terseness is curious. I've never met Kim. I've read some allegations, but I have no idea whether they are true or not.

Edited by M1911

One last comment and then I'll end my part in the discussion. I'm not confusing the two at all. I agree that HR's response to inquiries from potential employers is as you state pretty much restricted to dates of employment. Management training at two companies I worked at however was that as a general rule when employees leave you get the basic goodby verbiage. Joe has left the company or Sally has left to pursue other career opportunities. Out of the last 10 to leave the company I am at two got the flowery send off. The other 8 got the short version. Like I said in my post, opinions vary on this. Our experiences clearly are different.

as I stated in post #12, the statement as worded from HQ represents as close to saying 'you're fired' as you'll likely to see. As someone who, for the last 15 years, has been in the position of hiring/firing or moving people out of positions where they are not performing I can tell you this is a fairly typical method. Are there other ways this is done? Of course, but the meanng of this is fairly obvious if you've been involved in this sort of thing before ....

Edited by Nimitz

It is never easy for employer or employed when the time comes to part ways.

A person in a role such as USPSA ED may or may not be a nice person. They may or may not have been part of the organization a long time. I don't really care. As a member of such an organization I expect that person to be effective, to fulfill their primary functions, to avoid improper actions and to maintain a professional working relationships.

There have been numerous claims of issues and volunteer board members have resigned in protest. Much later a deliberately brief public message of separation was made. I can only assume that long-overdue action has been taken by one side or the other. Such a brief message implies hidden complexity and I hope closure for all comes swiftly.

I also hope that the leadership of USPSA is far more effective, trustworthy and transparent than has been the case in the recent past. To date I am pleased with actions and particularly pleased with communications. I am hopeful that these are examples of more good things to come and that we can all focus on enjoying this excellent shooting sport.