Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40cal limited gun questions

redneckram

I have been shooting limited minor (9mm) for a while. I really want to jump to major as I feel my results will be better scoring major. My main questions are what are the benefits of sight tracker or 6" over a standard 5" gun? No one I know has a tracker or a 6" gun that I can try out. and what I have been shooting is a PARA 9mm. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

It really depends on how you like your gun set up. You current pistol is probably really soft. IMO, if you go with a 6" gun, get a bushing barrel set up with a short dust cover. 5.4" Sight Tracker with a short list cover is the hot ticket. For me, the 6" gun was a tad softer, but not as flat as the 5.4 Sight Tracker.

The longer the sight plane is, the more accurate you can be. The purported advantage of the Sight Tracker is the sight is literally attached to the barrel so you eliminate one variable. If your barrel is correctly fitted to the slide, there is no real advantage to the ST. A 6" gun gives you a longer sighting plane than the ST. Longer is better. However, the weight can be a problem.

I have a friend who shoots a 6", bull barrel 2011 for Limited. He loves it, but think it is too muzzle heavy. Yes, it help with recoil, but it hurts with transitions. If I were going to build a 6" gun for Limited, I'd use a bushing barrel to keep the weight down. However, there are other things you can do to eliminate slide weight. Putting HiPower cuts on the front of the slide will take a lot of the up front weight out.

There are some interesting stuff on the SV website.

They make a six inch, but they lighten the slide internally. Usually you side a massive amount of side cuts to lighten the slide. I shot a friend's six inch Dawson gun. They sight radius is pretty cool. I did feel slower on the transitions.

The ST is a great concept. The extra weight can reduce the muzzle flip while not impacting the slide velocity.

The 5.4 with a Taran cut seems to be the real ticket. If I get another SV it will be this combination.

I cannot speak to the ST built by anyone else but SV. Apparently, I have way too many of them. But compared to some others (ROY) I don't have nearly enough. :-)

I have spent hours upon hours reading until my heads spinning. The video someone did was very informative also. I have been pondering this whole idea about a year now but losing to a few guys (friends :) ) that I personally feel I shot better than yesterday :devil: because they were shooting major I think sealed the deal hah

I've either owned or do own currently, sight trackers, Bushing guns and 5" bull barrel guns. They all feel slightly different. in the recoil pulse BUT I split them all about the same and transitions are the same. I try and shoot one for a while and see if it will make a difference and what REALLY happens is I get used to and very familiar with it and so start shooting it slightly better, i.e .02 faster splits while maintaining the A zone. the but is I can to the same with any of them if I shoot only that gun for a month or so.

All that being said get the one YOU THINK is going to be best for you and then just shoot it and get real comfortable with it. That will make the biggest difference.

I see no advantage to the 6" guns for the distances we shoot in USPSA, other than the occasional standards stage or something long at a Level 3 match or Nationals.

Definitely go to major though. Think of it this way every Alpha Charlie you shoot you just lost 10% with your 9mm. i.e 9 points vs 8 points out of a possible 10!

Edited by jcc7x7

A gun that runs 100% and your skill level with that gun is far more important than a 5" or a 6", 5.4" sight tracker or 6" bushing barrel. I have a 5" SV bull barrel I think the gun is capable of winning the nationals in the right hands. Its dead nuts accurate and runs like a top but I can't come close to running it to its full potential.

I went 6", short dust cover, bushing barrel. I shot a few guns before I built mine and that was the combo I liked the best.

The full dust cover, 5" bull barrel guns felt too front heavy to me, the recoil was minimal but the transitions felt slow.

Right now mine doesn't have any lightening cuts in the slide, it shoots good, but after comparing it to my buddies gun that is almost identical to mine but has some lightening cuts, the recoil feels the same but it is a lot easier to transition quickly and accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking at CK guns and tuned Edges, look at a DVC Limited too. It's more money than an Edge but has a hard chrome finish, lightened slide, Dawson guide rod, 2 140mm mags, and a better trigger (generally). That's the route I went and after getting the extractor tuned correctly couldn't be happier with it.

ive been thru a LOT of guns and have tried almost all set ups from 6" ,5.4", 5" Bull,bushing, sightracker. even some prototypes and other variations from the IPSC world.. in the end i felt that a Heavy 5" bull barrel longdust was just the best for what i wanted. the gun

was so soft with 200gr bullets and tracks well enough that i stopped looking for the best set up and just learn to shoot more with this.

definitely shoot more set ups out there and find the one you want, its really fun to dryfire and shoot a match with a gun you really love

I am in the same boat, I have a G35 I've tricked out for local Dallas, Texas matches and want to switch to a 2011 at some point. I can see the benefit of a 6" sight distance...especially since a 6" Eagle is $1700 from Brazos right now. Does anyone make a TruSight like gun anymore?

Ok so an update on my situation!! :) I bought a gently used Brazos limited custom out of the classifieds. I LOVE the gun. Now trying to figure out load data has my head spinning like crazy. But as far as Brazos custom guns they surely get an A+ from me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personal preference but I, along with several high level competitors like the sight tracker for it's flat shooting. I don't find any appreciable increase in accuracy, just better weight distribution for flat shooting.

From a logical outside perspective...as I hunt for my limited gun...I can't help but consider a sight tracker and forego a $2000 factory option in place of a $4k custom sight tracker with metal grips in 5, 5.4 or 6 depending....hopefully someone at DAPS this weekend has some of these 2011's and will share a handful of trigger pulls! Might be a Glock 35 for sale soon.

How's the Brazos working out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...