Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6moa vs 8moa

jellyb

Hello: I would try all the different ones to see what works for you. I have used 16, 12, 8, 6 and 4MOA dots. Depending on stage designs and the type of shooting you do has a lot to do with your dot size choice. I have gone back to smaller dots at the matches I shoot here. Thanks, Eric

Started with an 8, currently running a 6 and planning on testing a 4. The larger the dot size the more "comet" effect there is while the gun is recoiling, which makes seeing where the dot actually is harder. I would suggest running the smallest dot that you can pick up quickly and see with out a problem.

Started with an 8, currently running a 6 and planning on testing a 4. The larger the dot size the more "comet" effect there is while the gun is recoiling, which makes seeing where the dot actually is harder. I would suggest running the smallest dot that you can pick up quickly and see with out a problem.

Interested in your take on "comet effect"

Please elaborate.

The comet effect is when your dot leaves "trails" as the dot is moving up and down with recoil. It's more noticeable if your dot is really bright or really large. I find it easier to track the dot more accurately if it's turn to a lower intensity or is smaller in diameter.

The comet effect is when your dot leaves "trails" as the dot is moving up and down with recoil. It's more noticeable if your dot is really bright or really large. I find it easier to track the dot more accurately if it's turn to a lower intensity or is smaller in diameter.

I have not observed this.

But I've only been shooting open for going on two seasons now. I have noticed that when my Cmore batteries are dying and my dot is dim my results are much worse than when I have a nice bright dot.

What is the preferred Moa?

No such thing, but 8moa is probably the most common in USPSA. I've tried most of the sizes, except I think they made 10moa years ago, and ran 8moa for years then switched to 12moa, and like it a lot better. I made M then GM not long after switching to 12moa....maybe a coincidence, but I'm just as accurate, and a touch faster with the 12moa dot. If I was shooting a lot of 40-50yd standards I'd probably go back to 8moa, but those aren't common stages.