Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cowboy Up....anyone Shoot It?

eerw

Hey Dan! I haven't checked in here for months. Come back and there's a post from you 6 weeks ago. Ack!

Wanna see some of the talent in CAS? Here's a video clip of a friend of mine doing just what Dan mentioned above. Time? 2.8 seconds. Target? 18x24 steel at 10 yards. For raw speed, it's flat out amazing.

http://www.jspublications.net/records/Deuc...ns280Pistol.wmv

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about SASS is the only ones making anything out of it are the Organizers of it. If you bust your butt and win a State shoot all you get out of it is a buckle and a free entry to the regional match and so on. Sass doesn't allow paid sponsorship or prizes other than buckles or trophys. You can win good prizes, but only as a door prize to the costume party(banquet). There are some talented shooters in the sport though. I have shot it for several years and have had alot of fun, but I think I am going to try uspsa for awhile.

Dirty Dusty ;)

Edited by Dusty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Three Fingered Fred when I put on a cowboy hat. I shoot IDPA/USPSA/CAS(SASS). Of the 3 CAS is the most fun. There's something about shooting the guns I used as a kid to play Cowboys & Indians that really makes it fun.

If you haven't tried it you should. Come to a match you'll always find someone who'll let you shoot their guns. The philosophy is to place the targets close so everyone hits them and enjoys. The fast shooters hit them, uh, faster.:)

Howdy. I shoot Cowboy Action and Western 3 Gun with J. Shapiro. I'm a black powder shooter. I've been at it about years and want to give Steel Challenge a try. I have a Springfield loaded 1911 that I need to get some more shooting in with and just got some leather that I could use. I have a great time cowboy shooting but am ready to give something else a try. I've gotten a lot of good information on this forum. MHicks

+1 on the Steel Challenge. "Single Action Jackson" is a local who does pretty well at the SC and W3G, and shoots IPSC/USPSA matches with us on Tuesday nights. He's also co-Match director of our local Steel Challenge matches. He's wicked fast on steel with his Cowboy guns.

Randy Jackson is one heck of a talented shooter! He's taught me quite a lot.

He also is responsible for getting me started in Steel Challenge. It's pretty difficult with cowboy guns, but that challenge makes it very interesting.

MHicks, good to see you found this board. It's a wealth of information that you won't easily get otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...

Western 3 Gun is a fun shooting sport and the top shooters are very good. I have seen a lot of the cowboy top shooters pick up a slide gun and operate it with the best. On the other hand, not many slide gun folks can operate six guns at warp speed. It's something about having to cock the hammer with your thumb.

• 9 months later...

Howdy Doc, SAJ, Dan...

Constable Nelson here..... :D

Folks,... I've been shooting CAS since 1994..... and only been shooting IPSC since November 2006!

They are BOTH excellent shooting disciplines. Challenging AND fun. I have met some of the best folks ever in CAS... and have already met many fine folk Down Under in IPSC.... (and I can't wait to come over and shoot a USPSA match!)

We really shouldn't overtly knock other shooters.... especially if our info is somewhat second hand. Shoot USPSA? Never seen a CAS match? Try to get to one... you might just be surprised. Don't get hung up on Power Factors.. sure you have them, and they don't... so what?

Shoot CAS? Never seen a USPSA/IPSC match? Try to get to one... you might just be surprised? Don't get hung up on rumours of "having" to have a $5K race gun....

Now why does that sound familiar?? :D:D

I held off shooting IPSC for a couple of years.. because my first experience was a very poor one... I dropped in at a local match and (unknowingly of course) picked EXACTLY the WRONG person to approach.... he was unwelcoming to the point of active rudeness..

I know NOW that I shouldn't have takent him as "representative"..... and HOW!

Can't we all just "git along"??? :D

• 1 month later...

First, I'd like to say, "Hello boys!" to Preacher Jim, Doc Shapiro and Dang It Dan!! It's been a while since I've seen any of ya'll and I hope that ya'll are doing well. Sending cyber hugs your way!

I found this thread thru a link posted on one of the Cowboy Action Shooting threads that I visit and post on. I have been a SASS member for seven years and I thought ya'll deserved to hear a lady's perspective of cowboy action shooting, so I'll start with a little bit of background information about myself.

I had never shot a gun in my life until I met my husband 11 years ago. He has been a shooter as long as he can remember and was active in several disciplines. He took me to the range, taught me all about gun safety and how to shoot. He says that I was a "natural". I loved shooting and went to the range with him as often as would allow, having a young daughter sometimes other things took precedent. My favorite gun became my beloved Daewoo in .223 with a 30 round magazine and I also love my Colt AR-15. I have qualified thru the CMP program.

One day while I attended a swim meet with my daughter, my husband went off to the range for a match and got there early. There was a cowboy action shooting match taking place on one of the other ranges, so he went over to watch, everyone was so nice and told him about a match in Charlotte the following day. He came home, told me about it and the next day we headed to Charlotte so that I could see what this was all about. As we got out of the truck I saw shooters dressed as cowboys, cowgirls, indians and pre-1900 towns people, I was intrigued. Then we watched the match. Everyone was so nice, invited us up to see their guns and let us shoot some at the end of the match. So, as we drove home my husband asked, "So, what do you think?" Now, I've been active in theater since I was three, and I was truly enjoying the shooting he'd introduced me to thus far, so I replied, "You mean I can shoot AND dress up, when can we start?" And the rest is history. LOL!!

We joined SASS, and shared guns until we were both set up the way we wanted to be, and have since changed our set up several times. CAS is a wonderful family sport. Our daughter started shooting with us when she was 12 and became the Junior Lady Florida State Champion when we lived in Tampa, and she placed 5th Junior Lady in the Southwest Region, twice and has won several annual and club titles in her category now that she is a lady shooter (once she turned 17 she moved up to the Lady's Class). I have so enjoyed this sport and the fact that it was our family hobby encouraged our enthusiasm.

I love the shooting, but my true passion has become the costuming. It is thru the costuming that we have encouraged so many ladies to join this sport and make it a true family shooting discipline.

Does this sport have its share of issues, yes it does...what organization of 78,000+ doesn't? But, it is truly some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life! You have to remember that SASS matches are for bragging rights and a plaque and/or buckle only...no money won here. All of the clubs that I belong to and have shot at have 3 main rules, 1) Be Safe 2) Have Fun 3) Be Safe. There are specific rules, but those three cover it in a "nutshell". LOL! So, I am surprised at the posts about safety issues. I'm not saying they don't happen, I'm just saying that they don't happen where I shoot and I have lived in NC, FL and SC shooting in all of those states and I've shot a lot of other places, but never in Illinois. As for RO classes, yes we have them, and I have RO I and RO II certification and I have served as a Range Mistress (won't say Range Master, because I am every bit a lady and proud of it) and have planned and ran matches.

If you've never been to a Cowboy Action Shooting match I'll invite ya'll to come on out anytime, we'll be happy to have you watch and show you around and answer your questions and even let you try out our guns. If you'd like to see some more info about what we do, come on over to my website and look around. This is the link to our home page: The Carolina Belles.

We also have a message board. Here are some threads with great photos of shooters having a super time. I hope you enjoy them!!

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4371

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4289

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4001

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4088

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3997

We also have a great sense of humor!!

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=4148

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3768

The Belles held a fundraising match called The Carolina Belles Bust Out at Gunpowder Creek, it was so much fun and we raised over $3200 for the Women's Shelter:

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2330

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2340

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2335

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3517

We had a "Cops vs Cowboys" match in September....Cowboys won:

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3901

And we also have "Mounted Shooting" which we do from horseback:

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5977

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5116

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5671

Edited by Fannie

My "old school gamer gun" just shipped from outside Konya (Huglu) to my apartment here in Ankara.

20" case-hardened hammer double...with choke tubes :P

Even in CASS my gear is tweaked :ph34r:

Alex

I agree, nice vid of Deuce ;) Look at that gun transfer speed... That's IPSC speed, folks...

I don't want to say he is pinning the trigger, but I sure can't see any trigger finger movement?

Flex - consider that you can shoot a single action revolver by pinning the trigger and manipulating the hammer... ;) Its actually slower to pull the trigger on each shot...

I figure that if you pull triggers, you're my friend. ;) I'm not into dressing up like a cowboy, personally, but its quite obvious there's a lot of talent, and a lot of fun to be found in CAS. Looks like a hoot :lol:

Nice post Fanny!!

You're right XRe... it IS a hoot.. and there IS a lot of talent in the game....

And yes, the guns are "tweaked".... My Vaqueros were worked by Oglesby & Oglesby... 73 rifle was slicked/short stroked by Cody over in Maryland... Marlin rifles and my shotguns have been tweaked locally... :D

Having started IPSC last year.. I'm encouraging folks at the little CAS club I run to give it a try...

My CAS pistol shooting has certainly improved since I took up IPSC!

I'm a hopless case though... having started with a Glock in PD I'm ALREADY playing with a second IPSC Division..... and it's REVOLVER..... :lol:

P.S. Don't be put off too much by the costuming requirement.... Sure, folks like Fanny (and others in her photos) go "all out"... but all you HAVE to wear is ordinary jeans... a long sleeve collared shirt... appropriate footwear (Ariats/Ropers are fine) and a hat! The clothing minimum really is pretty "minimum"!

Edited by Trooper

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
One Word,"Curmudgeon" comes to mind .People that can't physically move over a course of fire love this kind of thing.They have a lot of time on thier hands and spend a ton of time making up rules.

Sounds like you don't have much firsthand information or experience with cowboy shooting. If you can find the rulebook, compare it to the IDPA or USPSA rules sometime. And if you can find a match or two, see how much physical movement is going on. Then come back with your "curmudgeon" conclusion.

My 2 cents on CAS.... It's what I wanted to do first before I found IPSC. I was bored with bullseye and wanted action shooting. The cost was a stopper for me. Having to have 4 guns to start with put me 2 behind the 8-ball. I could hanve made due with my super blackhawk and anniversary flattop for the handguns but still needed a shotgun, rifle, and clothing. What did I need to start IPSC? My P-95 and 4 mags.

I know SASS is growing rapidly but it seems they could get more new participants if there wasn't such such a high startup cost needing 4 guns.

JMHO...

• 3 weeks later...
...they could get more new participants if there wasn't such such a high startup cost...

Remember, shooting four guns is a requirement. Owning four guns is not.

Go to a shoot, talk to people. You'll find many Cowboy shooters have backup guns they'd be tickled to let you borrow for a few shoots if you can't afford 4 guns at once.

Or start shooting with a buddy. You buy two pistols and he buys two long guns and you share.

There's always a way.

I've shot a cowboy match here in the area, a good guy loaned me some guns and ammo and away i went. I had fun, the people were just like any other shooters out there, friendly and courteous. :cheers:

I visit and watch the cowboy shooters at our range from time to time.

They seem to be a very nice bunch of folks..and they have lots of fun.

For me USPSA is more interesting...and I LIKE IT!!!!!

ALL shooting sports are a good thing....and I think shooters in general are pretty good folks :)

Jim

There is a lot of animosity between the CAS shooters and non-CAS shooters in our club. Most of it is just personally conflicts.

I always thought that shooting two SA handguns and a lever gun in competition would be a lot of fun. But CAS loses me with the dress up and role playing.

At one match I stopped to listen to four CAS shooters, thinking I might pick up some insight into the sport or the match, and hearing four guys talking about thread count, material, collar cut and authentic period reproduction buttons. That coupled with having to remove a key ring off a coat rack in one stage and having to say “I don’t take no lip from no bar keep” in another stage, before shooting and all on the clock left me sort of cold towards CAS.

I’m also a little leery of the safety rules regarding gun handling, reloading and how they are apparently interpreted at our club.

Respectfully,

jkelly

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but the total misinformation is driving me nuts in this thread. Let me qualify my authority on the subject: I've been a SASS shooter longer than I've been shooting IPSC, and I'm an RO level 1 for SASS, too.

Ok, let me clear up a few things:

1- There certainly IS an RO training program. There are currently four levels of RO, each with its own course and test. Each higher level is allowed to RO for larger events, just like we do in IPSC (I use IPSC and USPSA interchangeably, however incorrect that may be).

2- ROs do NOT count misses. ROs, just like in IPSC, are responsible for watching the shooter to ensure safe conduct. Other than running the timer they have no other responsibilities.

3- There are three people assigned to count misses. At the end of a stage, the RO asks the counters how many misses they counted. If there is any disagreement, majority rules. Really, this isn't hard; I don't know why more than one poster made it sound like it's impossible to score accurately. One person mentioned listening for the steel ring, but that's not how you do it...you WATCH the steel target. With hard cast lead and slow velocity ammunition, it's quite easy to see a hit. We also prescribe the order in which you shoot targets, unlike IPSC in which you're expected to solve the problem on your own. With steel targets, this makes it easy for the counters because they know which target to watch.

4- In many ways, SASS is safer than IPSC. For example, there is no movement with loaded guns. There may be movement on a stage (and often there is), but it's with handguns holstered. Rifles and shotguns are staged, and there is no movement in front of a staged loaded gun. All the "sweeping" rules you would expect to find in a shooting sport apply -- i.e. the 170 degree rule, match DQ for sweeping someone with a loaded gun, etc.

5- It probably varies by locale, but in my experience in three states over seven years SASS shooters are far more cordial to each other than IPSC shooters. I know I just offended just about everyone on this forum, but I must call it like I see it. At a SASS match, it's normal to see a new shooter who needs to borrow one, two, or even three of the required four guns to play the game. I've seen 50 shooters raise their hands all at once begging to let the new shooter use their guns. Ever see that at an IPSC match? I haven't. I've also seen SASS shooters give away ammo, spare gun parts, etc. When an IPSC shooter's gun breaks, other shooters will deny him a spare part even though they have three of the doggone things simply because it's now one less person to beat. As to shooter conduct, I make it personal policy not to quibble about little things and the vast majority of SASS shooters agree with me. If two out of three counters called a miss on a stage, it's a miss even if I disagree. I've seen IPSC shooters argue with an RO for twenty minutes over whether a shot was an "A" hit or a "C" hit. One particular argument degraded into name-calling and cursing (I took a few years off from IPSC after that debacle). I've never seen behavior like that at a SASS match, and if I ever do that person will not be shooting on my posse (squad) ever again.

6- One poster was correct in saying there are no sponsorships or cash awards for winning. The Wild Bunch (the board of directors) has stated they made this rule from the outset to avoid attracting professional shooters. The point of SASS is to have fun, nothing more.

7- There is a costume requirement, but it's very minimal. All you have to do is look western, even modern western. Wear blue jeans, a long sleeve shirt, modern cowboy hat, and modern boots and you're fine. Most SASS shooter "get all dudded up" because they want to, not because they have to. When I started I didn't really care for the costuming, but it grows on you.

In summary, I agree with many shooters who think that ALL shooters should stick together, regardless of discipline. Shoot one, two, three, four, however many games you can afford and have fun with them all. But we all need to understand that each game is different, has a different focus, has different rules, and even different etiquette. We need to encourage non-shooters to become shooters, and plinkers to start shooting an organized sport -- regardless of which sport(s) they choose. Having more active shooters in our country means more people who think guns are important politically. We need to stop publicly poo-pooing other shooting sports because they don't do things the way our favorite sport does (which reminds me...cool it with the IDPA vs. IPSC bashing too -- it goes both ways, and it's destructive).

Edited by mac266

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen 50 shooters raise their hands all at once begging to let the new shooter use their guns. Ever see that at an IPSC match? I haven't.

I have. In fact at the last indoor match here in the Springs, Will forgot his gun and figured he would swing by and just watch and hang out for a bit. He ended up shooting my STI instead of his normal Glock. He didnt ask to use it, it was offered.

All over I have seen people break guns and within minutes they were using someones back-up gun or primary gun.

One of my first matches I broke an extractor. A local GM took me to the safety area and handed me his gun so I could finish the match.